Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2022, 06:39 PM

30,142 posts, read 11,778,294 times

Advertisements

Now that the college season is half over or so it might be time to look at who might end up being the best choice in the draft. I don't mean who will be the 1st pick. That appears to be Jabari Smith at the moment. But that does not equal who will be the best. Anthony Bennett, Wiggins, Fultz and Williamson are some examples of where that did not pan out.

Personally I like Smtih, Banchero and Mathurin. To be honest I have not seen every prospect play. Hopefully by the end of the season that will change. Smith has some KD like talent. Banchero reminds me of Lebron James and Mathurin Kawhi Leonard. Not saying any of them will equal the comparisons.

One I would stay away from is Chet Holgren. I just think if you are a team trying to better yourself and build around your high lottery pick. A very tall skinny but very talented player is usually a mistake. Look at Bol Bol or KP. Or go back to Sam Bowie. What happened to Bol Bol?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2022, 06:59 PM

7,006 posts, read 11,301,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Now that the college season is half over or so it might be time to look at who might end up being the best choice in the draft. I don't mean who will be the 1st pick. That appears to be Jabari Smith at the moment. But that does not equal who will be the best. Anthony Bennett, Wiggins, Fultz and Williamson are some examples of where that did not pan out.

Personally I like Smtih, Banchero and Mathurin. To be honest I have not seen every prospect play. Hopefully by the end of the season that will change. Smith has some KD like talent. Banchero reminds me of Lebron James and Mathurin Kawhi Leonard. Not saying any of them will equal the comparisons.

One I would stay away from is Chet Holgren. I just think if you are a team trying to better yourself and build around your high lottery pick. A very tall skinny but very talented player is usually a mistake. Look at Bol Bol or KP. Or go back to Sam Bowie. What happened to Bol Bol?
Bol Bol got traded to the Celtics last week in a 3-way trade. It seems the Celts are picking up Bol and P.J Dozier because they are on expiring contracts. He has done nothing of note so far in his young career.

https://sports.yahoo.com/bol-bol-tra...045655484.html

Old 01-31-2022, 11:44 PM

1,655 posts, read 775,103 times
I have no idea but from the 3 Duke games I watched lately…the Banchero kid looks like he can go get a bucket when you need it.

Old 02-01-2022, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Bol Bol got traded to the Celtics last week in a 3-way trade. It seems the Celts are picking up Bol and P.J Dozier because they are on expiring contracts. He has done nothing of note so far in his young career.

https://sports.yahoo.com/bol-bol-tra...045655484.html
Bol Bol can shoot the 3. Which could make him useful being so tall. I believe he only played a few games at oregon before he got hurt and quit the team. I believe he is hurt now. Too many injuries for someone who has only played a few games after high school.

Old 02-01-2022, 09:04 AM

3,954 posts, read 2,345,154 times
AJ Griffin for Duke has come on lately. I think he will make a big impact for whoever picks him up. I have to vote for Banchero as well. He looks solid. Add Mark Williams from Duke if you need a 7 footer. Those 3 look like sure things. Jabari Smith seems to be no. 1 on all draft mocks. Haven't seen him enough to give an opinion. I was high on Jalen Duren but he's hurt now and maybe suffering from bad coaching. Duren should leave now just to get away from Penny.

Old 02-01-2022, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
AJ Griffin for Duke has come on lately. I think he will make a big impact for whoever picks him up. I have to vote for Banchero as well. He looks solid. Add Mark Williams from Duke if you need a 7 footer. Those 3 look like sure things. Jabari Smith seems to be no. 1 on all draft mocks. Haven't seen him enough to give an opinion. I was high on Jalen Duren but he's hurt now and maybe suffering from bad coaching. Duren should leave now just to get away from Penny.

Wow Duke with perhaps the top 3 players going to the NBA. Next year I was looking incoming recruits and they have 3 of the top 4 coming in.

Old 02-02-2022, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Wow Duke with perhaps the top 3 players going to the NBA. Next year I was looking incoming recruits and they have 3 of the top 4 coming in.
I saw that the other day too and thought it was crazy. I think they even have one the top classes for the year after next. Duke has been a recruiting powerhouse for a while now.

I had a UNC fan tell me Duke’s one-and-done recruiting hasn’t translated into many championships…to that I responded that if you are a Duke fan there’s probably some enjoyment in simply watching highly ranked players and consistently being a top 25 team…even if it means accepting a lot of inconsistency from young guys in March.

Old 02-02-2022, 06:50 PM

3,954 posts, read 2,345,154 times
Quote:

They may have 5 first rounders with Trevor Keels and Wendell Moore climbing up in the mocks. The ones and dones seems to be the rave. If you Moore, you are a veteran since he's a junior. Too bad that college experience is frowned upon when you stay too long.

Old 02-06-2022, 01:14 AM

676 posts, read 493,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAmericaGo View Post
I saw that the other day too and thought it was crazy. I think they even have one the top classes for the year after next. Duke has been a recruiting powerhouse for a while now.

I had a UNC fan tell me Duke’s one-and-done recruiting hasn’t translated into many championships…to that I responded that if you are a Duke fan there’s probably some enjoyment in simply watching highly ranked players and consistently being a top 25 team…even if it means accepting a lot of inconsistency from young guys in March.
I read that Jabari Smith is the probable #1 pick... Banchero #2, and Holmgren #3. The story is that Banchero is the safest pick... Holmgren is a boom or bust candidate... and Smith being like a Kevin Durant type with his length, outside jumper, and defensive abilities.

Ask that UNC Fan how it felt to see his team getting curb stomped on Saturday night by a group of one and dones

As a Duke fan, I do miss the days of having star juniors and seniors like Grant Hill, Jason Williams, Battier, Hurley and the like... but in current day basketball, thats simply not possible. I do enjoy watching sure-fire future NBA players wearing a Duke jersey... even though I have to learn a bunch of new names every year.

Old 02-06-2022, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilFan View Post
I read that Jabari Smith is the probable #1 pick... Banchero #2, and Holmgren #3. The story is that Banchero is the safest pick... Holmgren is a boom or bust candidate... and Smith being like a Kevin Durant type with his length, outside jumper, and defensive abilities.

Ask that UNC Fan how it felt to see his team getting curb stomped on Saturday night by a group of one and dones

As a Duke fan, I do miss the days of having star juniors and seniors like Grant Hill, Jason Williams, Battier, Hurley and the like... but in current day basketball, thats simply not possible. I do enjoy watching sure-fire future NBA players wearing a Duke jersey... even though I have to learn a bunch of new names every year.
UNC fans will definitely hear about Saturday from me.

I was a kid in the 90s but I think it was sorta the golden era of college basketball (at least until 97 or 98) that was here one minute and gone the next. Think about it — a talent like Grant Hill was allowed to stick around 4 years. And Leattner. UNC was even able to keep guys like Vince Carter and Jamison until their junior seasons..that would be unheard of today. It was some high level basketball with 22-23 year old men/seniors leading the teams instead of 18 year olds. Imagine an NCAA with the likes of Ja Morant or Zion Williamson playing as seniors right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball