Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2022, 09:17 PM

1,089 posts, read 442,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
But even if they get Victor and he lives up to expectations how long will he want to be in OKC or Utah?
They days of Malone and Stockton are rare now.
There should be some kind of rule where small market teams in dangerous cities, with bad winter weather gets more luxury tax relief to even the playing field. But then again, the nba's brand is taking a massive hit if the finals is between small market teams, and they will lose a ton of money.

What lebron did to the cavs and Cleveland is massive. The amount of money and taxes that flowed there is crazy to think about. Hotel stays, restaurants, bars, parking fees, airport fees, gas tax, rental car companies all got a slice and people got jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2022, 05:51 AM

3,942 posts, read 2,342,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accord2008 View Post
There should be some kind of rule where small market teams in dangerous cities, with bad winter weather gets more luxury tax relief to even the playing field. But then again, the nba's brand is taking a massive hit if the finals is between small market teams, and they will lose a ton of money.

What lebron did to the cavs and Cleveland is massive. The amount of money and taxes that flowed there is crazy to think about. Hotel stays, restaurants, bars, parking fees, airport fees, gas tax, rental car companies all got a slice and people got jobs.
When Lebron left the 2nd time to go to LA was a blow. However, the Cavs are back up top by drafting wisely and picking up Donovan Mitchell. I think marketing wise and financially, they are doing fine right now.

Old 12-21-2022, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
When Lebron left the 2nd time to go to LA was a blow. However, the Cavs are back up top by drafting wisely and picking up Donovan Mitchell. I think marketing wise and financially, they are doing fine right now.
If your a nba player with hundreds of millions, your wasting your life just by staying in a small market team in a cold weather city. Even if your winning rings, your still wasting your life. At that point, even if you get the biggest mansion there for 50 million, so what? Are you going to the most expensive restaurants every day? Sooner or later your money means nothing.

La has much better women, weather, and you can be friends with famous people, live in a big city, has much more to offer, etc. The unluckest teams is detroit, Milwaukie, cleveland, Minnesota. Then its utah, portland, and the rest is the small market teams with good weather down south.

Old 12-21-2022, 07:14 AM

Quote:
If your a nba player with hundreds of millions, your wasting your life just by staying in a small market team in a cold weather city. Even if your winning rings, your still wasting your life. At that point, even if you get the biggest mansion there for 50 million, so what? Are you going to the most expensive restaurants every day? Sooner or later your money means nothing.

La has much better women, weather, and you can be friends with famous people, live in a big city, has much more to offer, etc. The unluckest teams is detroit, Milwaukie, cleveland, Minnesota. Then its utah, portland, and the rest is the small market teams with good weather down south.
LOL! I totally see your point. If I am a 25 year old with 50 million burning a hole in my pocket, do I want to be in Cleveland or LA? No brainer, LA. Let's replace LA with say a NYC. Yeah, it gets cold in NY but you are in the middle of marketing and financial opportunities. Oh yeah and hot women, models, actresses. As soon as Julius Randle landed in NYC, his wife started a designer line of who-knows-what. Randle is getting more commercials, etc. It gives her something to do while he services his model girlfriends. Allegedly. My 25 year old self could do Miami, Atlanta, Dallas and Houston. Smaller markets but nicer weather, hot babes-wannabe models. In the case of Florida and Texas, taxes are tolerable so your money goes a long way. I think Lebron was forward thinking in going to LA.

Old 12-21-2022, 07:55 AM

Quote:
LOL! I totally see your point. If I am a 25 year old with 50 million burning a hole in my pocket, do I want to be in Cleveland or LA? No brainer, LA. Let's replace LA with say a NYC. Yeah, it gets cold in NY but you are in the middle of marketing and financial opportunities. Oh yeah and hot women, models, actresses. As soon as Julius Randle landed in NYC, his wife started a designer line of who-knows-what. Randle is getting more commercials, etc. It gives her something to do while he services his model girlfriends. Allegedly. My 25 year old self could do Miami, Atlanta, Dallas and Houston. Smaller markets but nicer weather, hot babes-wannabe models. In the case of Florida and Texas, taxes are tolerable so your money goes a long way. I think Lebron was forward thinking in going to LA.

Lebron still went to miami for 4 years. La is probably to capitalize his brand. In a small market team, if u have a huge mansion, you will get tired of it, and your nice cars. There is no difference if you had 80 million compared to 500 million, you cant spend it in a city of 600k to 1 million. The food scene is much better in big cities.

Also add orlando, memphis, new Orleans, san Antonio to the list. If i was a average nba player, i would totally at least not get a pay cut, and go to the small market teams in the south. Once its off season and in the hot summer, ill live in a northern city with mild summers like seattle, boston, milwauke, etc. It really sucks if your in the nba and your at a city with harsh winters. Every where you go it has to be indoors and you have to deal with driving in snow. You cant even enjoy your backyard or the park.

Cleveland should make a huge lebron statue years ago. Way bigger than jordans statue in chicago.

Last edited by accord2008; 12-21-2022 at 08:23 AM..

Old 12-21-2022, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Lebron still went to miami for 4 years. La is probably to capitalize his brand. In a small market team, if u have a huge mansion, you will get tired of it, and your nice cars. There is no difference if you had 80 million compared to 500 million, you cant spend it in a city of 600k to 1 million. The food scene is much better in big cities.

Also add orlando, memphis, new Orleans, san Antonio to the list. If i was a average nba player, i would totally at least not get a pay cut, and go to the small market teams in the south. Once its off season and in the hot summer, ill live in a northern city with mild summers like seattle, boston, milwauke, etc. It really sucks if your in the nba and your at a city with harsh winters. Every where you go it has to be indoors and you have to seal with driving in snow. You cant even enjoy your backyard or the park.

Cleveland should make a huge lebron statue years ago. Way bigger than jordans statue in chicago.
We're veering off topic but I had to comment. Lebron went to Miami to get his rings. He was frustrated with management in Cleveland at the time to get him the right players so he formed his own super team in Miami. He came back to Cleveland to win one for Cleveland with Kyrie. Well, Kyrie went left on him and decided he wanted to be the "man" in Boston. We know how that turned out. The food scene/hot restaurants? Those athletes don't know escargot from a hole in the head. They don't show up at those places unless they call the paparazzi themselves just to get noticed and placements in social media.

Orlando? Too family oriented with Disney and all. The decadence/glitz of Miami would serve my 25 year old self well. Memphis, New Orleans? I don't see it unless you like the cheap price of owning a mansion there. San Antonio is a hard pass. Nothing exciting is there. Again, cheap real estate and no income tax are the only benefits of being there. Hey, Giannis doesn't seem to mind Milwaukee. He's the King there. He might get a statue like Jordan since he brought a chip there. Even though Chicago is a big city, not interested. Even if I was my 25 year old self. Winters are brutal. Tons of snow. Props to Jordan for sticking it out and being the King of Chicago. Agree with your assessment of a statue being erected for Lebron in Cleveland. That town hasn't had a winning squad in any sport for at least 50 years before the Cavs won it all.

Old 12-21-2022, 09:48 AM

Quote:
We're veering off topic but I had to comment. Lebron went to Miami to get his rings. He was frustrated with management in Cleveland at the time to get him the right players so he formed his own super team in Miami. He came back to Cleveland to win one for Cleveland with Kyrie. Well, Kyrie went left on him and decided he wanted to be the "man" in Boston. We know how that turned out. The food scene/hot restaurants? Those athletes don't know escargot from a hole in the head. They don't show up at those places unless they call the paparazzi themselves just to get noticed and placements in social media.

Orlando? Too family oriented with Disney and all. The decadence/glitz of Miami would serve my 25 year old self well. Memphis, New Orleans? I don't see it unless you like the cheap price of owning a mansion there. San Antonio is a hard pass. Nothing exciting is there. Again, cheap real estate and no income tax are the only benefits of being there. Hey, Giannis doesn't seem to mind Milwaukee. He's the King there. He might get a statue like Jordan since he brought a chip there. Even though Chicago is a big city, not interested. Even if I was my 25 year old self. Winters are brutal. Tons of snow. Props to Jordan for sticking it out and being the King of Chicago. Agree with your assessment of a statue being erected for Lebron in Cleveland. That town hasn't had a winning squad in any sport for at least 50 years before the Cavs won it all.
We are off topic but it relates to victor going to any team. He will not stick around a small market team if he is at least a first ballot hall of famer. Any southern small market team is better than a northern small market team. The weather makes a huge difference. If your offered the same amount of money why would you choose a cold place?

Jordan sticking to chicago isnt that bad, chicago is a mid market team. Very populated area. Its just cold. Its very unfair for small market teams, if i were the owners i would move to bigger markets. Im sure la can support 1 more team but its not going to happen.

Old 01-30-2023, 07:39 AM

7,430 posts, read 4,676,648 times
For the First Pick of the 2023 NBA Draft, Victor Wembanyama goes to.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Impl8txayQg

Old 01-30-2023, 08:34 AM

Pretty much agree with this opinion piece.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba...85b88542b1a6ef

3. Charlotte Hornets
This year’s Charlotte Hornets team has been a complete and utter failure. With LaMelo Ball’s health issues and the uncertainty surrounding Miles Bridges’ future, the team has been in dire need of another scorer. If Ball’s health continues to deteriorate, the Hornets would be smart to put an end to his season. It’s attractive to think that they’ll have Wemby and Ball for the next decade, so they may as well sink the rest of the season.

2. Detroit Pistons
The youthful core that the Detroit Pistons have assembled is already among the most remarkable and promising in the NBA. Their prospects of making the playoffs were all but dashed when they lost Cade Cunningham for the year. So, even if they lose, they may still come out on top. While waiting for Cunningham’s recovery, they may allow their young stars like Jaden Ivey, Jalen Duren, and Sadiq Bey to learn from their errors and develop into better players, increasing their chances of earning the first overall selection.

1. Houston Rockets
The Houston Rockets have some of the league’s youngest players. Unfortunately, coach Stephen Silas hasn’t done a good job of nurturing their abilities. They aren’t going down, but they are terrible. However, Wembanyama has the potential to be the game-changer for this team, much as the legendary Hakeem Olajuwon did for the NBA’s Los Angeles Lakers. There has never been a more dynamic and adaptable jumbo frontcourt than the one that would be formed by pairing Jabari Smith Jr. with Alperen Sengun.

Old 02-02-2023, 06:13 PM

7,430 posts, read 4,676,648 times
Quote:
Pretty much agree with this opinion piece.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba...85b88542b1a6ef

3. Charlotte Hornets
This year’s Charlotte Hornets team has been a complete and utter failure. With LaMelo Ball’s health issues and the uncertainty surrounding Miles Bridges’ future, the team has been in dire need of another scorer. If Ball’s health continues to deteriorate, the Hornets would be smart to put an end to his season. It’s attractive to think that they’ll have Wemby and Ball for the next decade, so they may as well sink the rest of the season.

2. Detroit Pistons
The youthful core that the Detroit Pistons have assembled is already among the most remarkable and promising in the NBA. Their prospects of making the playoffs were all but dashed when they lost Cade Cunningham for the year. So, even if they lose, they may still come out on top. While waiting for Cunningham’s recovery, they may allow their young stars like Jaden Ivey, Jalen Duren, and Sadiq Bey to learn from their errors and develop into better players, increasing their chances of earning the first overall selection.

1. Houston Rockets
The Houston Rockets have some of the league’s youngest players. Unfortunately, coach Stephen Silas hasn’t done a good job of nurturing their abilities. They aren’t going down, but they are terrible. However, Wembanyama has the potential to be the game-changer for this team, much as the legendary Hakeem Olajuwon did for the NBA’s Los Angeles Lakers. There has never been a more dynamic and adaptable jumbo frontcourt than the one that would be formed by pairing Jabari Smith Jr. with Alperen Sengun.
I know the Rockets, if they get first pick, they will get another guard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball