Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2022, 06:23 AM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times

Advertisements

So say OKC or whoever gets the first pick and takes Victor Wembanyama. And other teams contact them willing to trade their current super star for him. Which players are off the table in that scenario? They asked this question on NBA radio. Any team doing this takes a big risk. Trade a known talent all star with the hopes that Victor far exceeds them down the road. But if he fails to do so or is injured too much then you have made one of the worst trades in history.

Who would never be traded for a young Victor Wembanyama?

1. Giannis
2. Luka
3. Curry (Warriors won't trade him even if it made the team much better. He means too much to them)
4. Jokic?
5. Embiid?

Anyone else? For me just the top 2. I am not real sentimental so I would trade Curry for him in a heartbeat. Setting your team up for the next 10-15 years is worth it. I am more apt to trade Embiid and not trade Jokic. I think Jokic brings more to the table with his elite passing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2022, 07:57 AM

3,835 posts, read 4,443,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
So say OKC or whoever gets the first pick and takes Victor Wembanyama. And other teams contact them willing to trade their current super star for him. Which players are off the table in that scenario? They asked this question on NBA radio. Any team doing this takes a big risk. Trade a known talent all star with the hopes that Victor far exceeds them down the road. But if he fails to do so or is injured too much then you have made one of the worst trades in history.

1. Giannis
2. Luka
3. Curry (Warriors won't trade him even if it made the team much better. He means too much to them)
4. Jokic?
5. Embiid?

Anyone else? For me just the top 2. I am not real sentimental so I would trade Curry for him in a heartbeat. Setting your team up for the next 10-15 years is worth it. I am more apt to trade Embiid and not trade Jokic. I think Jokic brings more to the table with his elite passing.
I agree with your list. Those would be the untouchables to me. But I think it's not quite so straightforward to say yeah I'd trade say Ja Morant straight up, because if you make that trade, yeah you get Victor but now Memphis HAS to go find another guard to replace Morant. Same deal with a trade for CP3, Booker, Trae etc. This trade only works if it's someone who plays a similar position.

I'm leery of all this praise being heaped on the guy. The pressure of the expectations must be incredible. Some players are built for it and live up to it (like Lebron), but many others falter and fail. No way to tell which one Victor is. I think he would be best served being brought along slowly, coming off the bench his first couple of years and allowing him time to build up his body, just like how Giannis did.

Old 10-13-2022, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
I agree with your list. Those would be the untouchables to me. But I think it's not quite so straightforward to say yeah I'd trade say Ja Morant straight up, because if you make that trade, yeah you get Victor but now Memphis HAS to go find another guard to replace Morant. Same deal with a trade for CP3, Booker, Trae etc. This trade only works if it's someone who plays a similar position.

I'm leery of all this praise being heaped on the guy. The pressure of the expectations must be incredible. Some players are built for it and live up to it (like Lebron), but many others falter and fail. No way to tell which one Victor is. I think he would be best served being brought along slowly, coming off the bench his first couple of years and allowing him time to build up his body, just like how Giannis did.
But it all comes down to how he does in the NBA. LeBron came in and quickly lived up to the hype. Victor comes in and averages 12 a game and say has foul trouble issues or nagging injuries and the pressure will ramp up quickly. Both on him and the team that took him. I usually don't hype bigs too much. So many have failed to live up to the hype. But none of the ones that failed shot like he does. Perhaps Bill Walton. But he had the talent just too many injuries.

Jordan was a bit like Giannis in one way. It was still a center dominated league when Jordan got drafted. Teams were looking for the next Kareem. Which is why Jordan was not a #1 pick. Giannis gets drafted while everyone is looking for the next Curry.

Old 10-13-2022, 03:20 PM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times
So far, he is handling the pressure well. There was no real need to come play in this tournament, really only could lose hype, but from the articles I read he REALLY wanted to come over, play, dominate, and win games. Those are positive signs. You have to want to dominate, it is hard to teach it.

But yeah, very short list of people who you wouldn't trade for him, in theory. Teams competing for titles probably wouldn't make the trade and close their short term windows, so guys like Booker, for instance, may not be on the market right now. But it wouldn't be talent or upside related, just situational.

Old 10-19-2022, 02:40 AM

7,453 posts, read 4,686,150 times
Quote:

1. Giannis
2. Luka
4. Jokic?
5. Embiid?

6. Zion
7. Ja
8. Jalen

Old 10-22-2022, 04:39 PM

Who loves Wembanyama the most?

The Wembanyama sweepstakes contenders:

East:
Orlando
Philadelphia
Miami
Indiana

West:
Los Angeles (L)
Houston

Old 10-22-2022, 05:35 PM

4,667 posts, read 3,863,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
Los Angeles (L)
Pelicans own a pick swap with the Lakers for the next draft. They're probably hoping the Lakers are a lottery team so they have a chance at Victor.

Old 10-22-2022, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post

The Wembanyama sweepstakes contenders:

East:
Orlando
Philadelphia
Miami
Indiana

West:
Los Angeles (L)
Houston

I would add San Antonio and Utah.

Old 10-22-2022, 11:06 PM

The Wembanyama sweepstakes Top 5 contenders:

East:
Orlando
Philadelphia

West:
Houston
Los Angeles (L)
OKC

Quote:
I would add San Antonio and Utah.
Don't worry, if they love Wemba, they'd lose games. When they have enough losses to be in the 5 bottom teams, they'll get in in due time.

So far, Spur's Poeltl making a case v Wemba, while Jazz' Markkanen doing the same.

Old 10-24-2022, 05:47 AM

The Wembanyama sweepstakes Top 5 contenders:

East:
Orlando
Philadelphia

West:
Sacramento
Houston
Los Angeles (L)
OKC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball