Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2022, 12:14 PM

9,931 posts, read 6,638,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
It’s a combination of the value of their arena (if they own their own like the Warriors and Knicks do), the market, and the performance of the team & perceived ability to attract free agents and other components of success. The Warriors have all three right now. The Knicks and Lakers have incompetent ownership who inherited their teams so I don’t see the rankings changing anytime soon (unless they get pushed out like Sterling).
Using this criteria, NOLA being last is perfectly true. Very very little success even when they had AD. There were the chris Paul years but the Hornets name is now in Charlotte making history be grey. New Orleans is definitely a small market by nba standards. And have little to no hopes of free agents.

Now with Zion who knows but NOLA has been quite the perfect set up historically to have the worst valuation. Louisiana has a decent amount of rockets fans part in due for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2022, 02:36 PM

6,513 posts, read 7,553,506 times
NBA average ticket prices 2022-23 and percent price change from prior year.

Golden State Warriors $611 4%
LA Lakers $518 -8%
New York Knicks $346 -12%
Boston Celtics $303 -2%
Phoenix Suns $285 -18%

Brooklyn Nets $283 -23%
Chicago Bulls $276 -11%
Philadelphia 76ers $264 29%
LA Clippers $262 8%
Milwaukee Bucks $252 -15%

Dallas Mavericks $249 56%
Toronto Raptors $245 18%
Atlanta Hawks $234 7%
Miami Heat $230 5%
Memphis Grizzlies $226 111%

Cleveland Cavaliers $207 33%
Minnesota Timberwolves $201 29%
Portland Trail Blazers $198 56%
Denver Nuggets $184 -8%
New Orleans Pelicans $179 24%

Sacramento Kings $173 37%
Charlotte Hornets $169 19%
Utah Jazz $168 -33%
Orlando Magic $163 55%
Washington Wizards $163 -12%

Houston Rockets $159 -6%
San Antonio Spurs $157 -4%
Detroit Pistons $153 50%
Oklahoma City Thunder $148 -9%
Indiana Pacers $138 -2%

Old 10-30-2022, 07:31 AM

4,670 posts, read 3,870,512 times
$518 avg ticket to a Lakers game this season?? No wonder their fans are booing.

Old 10-30-2022, 01:27 PM

7,460 posts, read 4,704,671 times
So proud of Memphis.

Old 10-31-2022, 04:18 AM

1,122 posts, read 456,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
$518 avg ticket to a Lakers game this season?? No wonder their fans are booing.
There is a market for watching lebron, even if he is way past his prime. I once bought a ticket to watch Shaq as a Celtic in Philadelphia, and he was hurt that day. Soon after he retired that same season because of lingering injuries. It sucks that I wasted that money.

I also watched kobe when he was in his final year, he is a shadow of himself but still, I got to experience watching kobe play in the nba.

LA is a huge international city, many people from other countries vacation there and would like to watch lebron. That's why big market teams can charge those prices and still attract big names. Had lebron been playing for Minnesota, I doubt rich folks will waste their time to fly there to watch lebron.

Old 10-31-2022, 10:09 AM

6,513 posts, read 7,553,506 times
Even without Lebron, those Laker tickets are always expensive. When I go to LA to watch my Spurs play the Clips or the Lakers, Laker tickets are always over twice the price of Clipper tickets...even when the Clips are very marketable and have a much better record than the Lakers (Chris Paul/Blake Griffith Days), Laker tickets were still more expensive.

For the upcoming November 19th Spurs VS Clips and Nov 20th Spurs VS Lakers at Staples Center....errr Crypto, I paid $180 for three tickets at Loge Level row 15 for the Clipper game, behind the basket. For the Laker game I paid $203 for three tickets upper level section 305, nose bleeds.

Old 04-17-2023, 12:14 PM

4,015 posts, read 2,372,974 times
Full disclosure: I have never paid for a ticket to a Knick game. Never! Always sponged off of either my dad when I was a kid, working at companies that gave out tickets, well ta-do friends, etc. This guarantees that I will never pay for a Knick game. Never!

https://nypost.com/2023/04/17/knicks...pport-my-team/

A New York Knicks fan lamented the astronomical price to score a seat to the team’s first home playoff game in two years — with some tickets costing more than $20,000, according to a second-hand ticket-selling site. A courtside seat — with unobstructed views of Knicks stars Jalen Brunson and Julius Randle battling the Cleveland Cavaliers in Game 3 at Madison Square Garden on Friday night — is going for $14,986 on StubHub. Add another $5,251 in “fees” and the total comes to $20,238 for the first-round Eastern Conference matchup. For anyone looking to sit just a few rows from the hardwood, tickets range from $1,800 to $12,547. “How am I supposed to support my basketball team lmao,” said one Knicks fan, who goes by the Twitter handle @bannedyoangel, after posting a screenshot from the Gametime website showing a seating map of MSG over the weekend. The lowest ticket price were starting at $370.

That means a family of four would have to pay in excess of $1,500 to cheer the Knicks from the nosebleed sections of The World’s Most Famous Arena — and that’s before buying hot dogs, pretzels and beer. A spokesperson for Madison Square Garden Sports told The Post: “This exorbitant pricing is being driven exclusively by ticket scalpers who are motivated solely by making money off our fans.” “All playoff tickets sold by MSG were sold at face value, with ticket prices starting at $168 for the Knicks with an average ticket price of $326, and starting at $226 for the Rangers with an average ticket price of $399,” the spokesperson said. “MSG’s mission is, and always has been, to put tickets at their original price directly in the hands of our fans attending our events.”

Yeah, right. Corporate talk.

Old 04-28-2023, 11:23 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,575,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandBrown View Post
Way too low: Denver and Atlanta

Way to high: LA Clippers, Brooklyn Nets and Sacramento Kings. Clippers and Nets, as bad as the Lakers or Knicks can be, are so far behind the top team in their market that being in NYC or LA doesn't matter. The Sacramento Kings have been the worst ran franchise in the NBA for 20 years, they are a long way from being competitive, Sacramento isn't a big market and the Kings are also right in the Warriors shadow (no disagreement with the Warriors being No. 1, either). Kings easily should be last based on all factors weighed together.

The Lakers at No. 3 is probably right. But that really shows how bad that organization currently is (pound-for-pound way worse than the Kings). The Lakers are the NBA's No. 1 historical franchise, the No. 1 most popular franchise, the No. 1 destination franchise for players and they have by far the (still) No. 1 most marketable player in the NBA. They should be smoking the rest of the NBA in value. Only incompetence has them less than No. 1.

Old 04-28-2023, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bigglesworth View Post
Imagine if the Knicks didn't have James Dolan bleeding the value out of that franchise.
His father lets him .

Old 04-29-2023, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
It’s a combination of the value of their arena (if they own their own like the Warriors and Knicks do), the market, and the performance of the team & perceived ability to attract free agents and other components of success. The Warriors have all three right now. The Knicks and Lakers have incompetent ownership who inherited their teams so I don’t see the rankings changing anytime soon (unless they get pushed out like Sterling).
Not yet.

Charles Dolan is still alive.

He turns 97 this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball