Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2023, 01:04 PM

1,091 posts, read 443,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
He scored 44 but was -11. The Cleveland game where they lost by 2 he had 32 but was -14.

Thomas had three 40 point games in a row. I would not give him a max contract, yet. I like Bridges but I don't think you build a team around him. He is scoring but the team keeps losing.
He is at 20 games at 26.8 points per gaming for the nets. You wouldn't give him a max contract, but some small market team will throw one at him. He 65 million over 4 years by not getting max. He got 90 million over 4 years, max is 5 years 193, so in 4 years time he lost 65 million.

We will see yow his numbers stack up by end of season but it doesnt look like he is just a starter at this moment.

Last edited by accord2008; 03-27-2023 at 01:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2023, 01:47 PM

30,135 posts, read 11,774,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accord2008 View Post
He is at 20 games at 26.8 points per gaming for the nets. You wouldn't give him a max contract, but some small market team will throw one at him. He 65 million over 4 years by not getting max. He got 90 million over 4 years, max is 5 years 193, so in 4 years time he lost 65 million.

We will see yow his numbers stack up by end of season but it doesnt look like he is just a starter at this moment.
The NBA talent level is so good now that anyone with a good offensive game can score 30 or 40 on any given night. Cam Thomas is a good example.

His numbers are good but he is on a bad team without any other stars. Last two years in Phoenix he averaged 15 points a game. KD goes there and he is averaging 27 a game along side Booker. That is the difference between a real all star and a guy who might be scoring because there are no other star players on the team. Someone has to score.

Old 03-27-2023, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
The NBA talent level is so good now that anyone with a good offensive game can score 30 or 40 on any given night. Cam Thomas is a good example.

His numbers are good but he is on a bad team without any other stars. Last two years in Phoenix he averaged 15 points a game. KD goes there and he is averaging 27 a game along side Booker. That is the difference between a real all star and a guy who might be scoring because there are no other star players on the team. Someone has to score.
Its not that simple, every team, even teams without stars, every guy wants to score to either staybin the league or get a bigger contact. You have to be better than everyone else on the team to get the most shots, or the coach will have a issue with that. Anyone can score 30 in the nba, but it depends how efficient you are. You will not last long if you average 33% fg. Thats why its best for solid starters to go to a small market team, get numbers, get a max contract, and make it to a few all star games and have a chance of the hof.

The whole mikal bridges thing is like harden at okc going to houston. Rings dong matter if your not at least the third option.

Old 03-27-2023, 07:31 PM

7,001 posts, read 11,298,847 times
Quote:
Its not that simple, every team, even teams without stars, every guy wants to score to either staybin the league or get a bigger contact. You have to be better than everyone else on the team to get the most shots, or the coach will have a issue with that. Anyone can score 30 in the nba, but it depends how efficient you are. You will not last long if you average 33% fg. Thats why its best for solid starters to go to a small market team, get numbers, get a max contract, and make it to a few all star games and have a chance of the hof.

The whole mikal bridges thing is like harden at okc going to houston. Rings dong matter if your not at least the third option.
It is that time of year when guys you forgot were in the league or never heard of get 30+ minutes a night and yes, somebody will score. I saw ole Marvin Bagley put up 30+ points last week. Bobby Portis is rocking a 20-10 double double tonight in a starters role. It's the silly season.......

Some market teams will overpay, see MPJ and Denver.

https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_...m_id=bridgmi01

The difference here isn't stats so much as perceived "upside" that Porter has/had when he signed the extension. Bridges is probably worth more to most teams right now. His contract being smaller is a huge benefit for......the Nets. Wow, weird to type that the Nets have a guy being underpaid and overperforming

Old 04-03-2023, 10:55 AM

3,949 posts, read 2,342,896 times
Not only is he putting up numbers. He hasn't missed a game his whole career in this environment of "load management." That says alot about him as a professional.

https://nypost.com/2023/04/03/mikal-...proved-player/

Mikal Bridges outplayed Utah All-Star Lauri Markkanen, the betting favorite for the NBA Most Improved Player Award. Bridges had 30 points and seven rebounds, including 11 of 13 from the free-throw line. The attempts were a career-high for Bridges, and he credited watching Chris Paul and Devin Booker during his Suns time with his recent ability to draw fouls. “That’s just growth, just learning, learning the game,” said Bridges. “There are two guys in Phoenix right now that I watched a lot in how they draw fouls and get to the paint and I’ve guarded guys who can get fouls, especially on me, so I kinda know how to get foul calls a little bit. It’s growth too, just a lot of film and a lot of practice, just being out there and trying to read the game. It’s a lot, just with growth and learning and just watching as well.”

Old 04-17-2023, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
Not only is he putting up numbers. He hasn't missed a game his whole career in this environment of "load management." That says alot about him as a professional.

https://nypost.com/2023/04/03/mikal-...proved-player/

Mikal Bridges outplayed Utah All-Star Lauri Markkanen, the betting favorite for the NBA Most Improved Player Award. Bridges had 30 points and seven rebounds, including 11 of 13 from the free-throw line. The attempts were a career-high for Bridges, and he credited watching Chris Paul and Devin Booker during his Suns time with his recent ability to draw fouls. “That’s just growth, just learning, learning the game,” said Bridges. “There are two guys in Phoenix right now that I watched a lot in how they draw fouls and get to the paint and I’ve guarded guys who can get fouls, especially on me, so I kinda know how to get foul calls a little bit. It’s growth too, just a lot of film and a lot of practice, just being out there and trying to read the game. It’s a lot, just with growth and learning and just watching as well.”
27 games with the nets in regular season and averaged 26.1 ppg. Thats a good enough sample size. He is a max player, and a all star.

Old 04-17-2023, 07:20 AM

30,135 posts, read 11,774,020 times
Quote:
27 games with the nets in regular season and averaged 26.1 ppg. Thats a good enough sample size. He is a max player, and a all star.

I would give most improved to Markkanen because he put up big numbers for an entire season and his team overachieved in a big part because of him.

But if I had to choose between Bridges and Markkanen to give a max contract to. It would go to Bridges. He is a more complete player.

Old 04-17-2023, 09:59 AM

3,949 posts, read 2,342,896 times
Quote:
Not yet. He's getting there by putting up the same numbers in the playoffs. He had 30 in his first for the Nets. He is their go-to guy, no doubt about it. Now those 30 are empty when the Nets lose. When he's pouring those numbers in and they win a couple games(No one expects the Nets to win the series), then he is starting to outplay his contract. That contract is pretty substantial. (23 million a year on average) He's working on it, for sure. Now if they win the series against the Sixers and putting up those numbers, I might have to re-think that max contract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball