Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2023, 10:35 PM

1,117 posts, read 453,576 times

Advertisements

In 14 games with the nets, he is averaging 26 ppg, when he is with the suns this year he is averaging 17 ppg. He is behind booker, paul, ayton with the suns. It looks like he should have left for free agency when he could, he could have easily got a max contract. He just signed for 4 years, 90 million, which is peanuts and he is on year 1.

I didnt think he will be this good, kinda like harden being the third wheel. This is a prime example of just going for numbers and getting paid. Getting paid less, getting less numbers wont do him any good even if he gets championships. If he continues to be the man and gets multiple all star selections, he has a chance of the hof, which beats having a championship and just being behind booker, and be classified as a solid starter being in the right place getting a championship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2023, 05:14 AM

4,003 posts, read 2,368,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accord2008 View Post
In 14 games with the nets, he is averaging 26 ppg, when he is with the suns this year he is averaging 17 ppg. He is behind booker, paul, ayton with the suns. It looks like he should have left for free agency when he could, he could have easily got a max contract. He just signed for 4 years, 90 million, which is peanuts and he is on year 1.

I didnt think he will be this good, kinda like harden being the third wheel. This is a prime example of just going for numbers and getting paid. Getting paid less, getting less numbers wont do him any good even if he gets championships. If he continues to be the man and gets multiple all star selections, he has a chance of the hof, which beats having a championship and just being behind booker, and be classified as a solid starter being in the right place getting a championship.
Ok, slow down on him being underpaid. 14 games is a small sample. Can he sustain that for a whole season? We'll see. He's going to stake a claim in the playoffs if he can produce those same numbers then. Haven't been watching the Nets much since Kyrie and KD left but this is Bridges time. I give you that.

Old 03-16-2023, 06:01 AM

30,190 posts, read 11,833,280 times
Quote:

I like Bridges he was way underrated in Phoenix. Being he is also a top defensive player too makes him even more valuable.

However someone has to score when you have a team without a known star on it. Cam Thomas had a 3 game run of over 40 a game on that team. Even now he had had 3 games the past couple weeks where get over 20 minutes on the floor and scores over 20 points. Then other games he plays 5 minutes and does not score or very little. I don't know why he is not getting heavy minutes on that team. I am pretty sure that if they did not have Bridges and made Thomas the #1 guy on offense he would score 25 a game too.

Old 03-16-2023, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I like Bridges he was way underrated in Phoenix. Being he is also a top defensive player too makes him even more valuable.

However someone has to score when you have a team without a known star on it. Cam Thomas had a 3 game run of over 40 a game on that team. Even now he had had 3 games the past couple weeks where get over 20 minutes on the floor and scores over 20 points. Then other games he plays 5 minutes and does not score or very little. I don't know why he is not getting heavy minutes on that team. I am pretty sure that if they did not have Bridges and made Thomas the #1 guy on offense he would score 25 a game too.
Speaking of Cam, I was watching a game when the crap hit the fan about Kyrie wanting out. He was the man scoring in bunches since they had no one else as mentioned. I watched a play where as soon as he got the ball, two defenders exploded on him. He was a little indecisive at those moments. In other words, he was getting the superstar treatment and I can tell he wasn't used to all the attention he was getting. I think coach Vaughn noticed that and figured he would serve the team better as the microwave off the bench.

Old 03-16-2023, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
Ok, slow down on him being underpaid. 14 games is a small sample. Can he sustain that for a whole season? We'll see. He's going to stake a claim in the playoffs if he can produce those same numbers then. Haven't been watching the Nets much since Kyrie and KD left but this is Bridges time. I give you that.
Theres still x amount of games left in season. Playoffs doesnt count. Most players are paid based on their regular season performances. Anything over 23 ppg its a garunteed max contract from some small market team.

It really sucks for players in mikals situation, they cant back out of a contract.

Old 03-16-2023, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Theres still x amount of games left in season. Playoffs doesnt count. Most players are paid based on their regular season performances. Anything over 23 ppg its a garunteed max contract from some small market team.

It really sucks for players in mikals situation, they cant back out of a contract.
When he was in Phoenix, some talking heads were saying he was overpaid for his production. Depends on how you perceive him. Now he's putting up numbers but it's a small sample. IMO, he's earning his money. Agree about playoffs not really counting. The exception being if he carries the Nets on his back to, at least, the conference finals. Nobody is expecting the Nets to get that far. Then, you could say he's outperformed his contract.

Old 03-16-2023, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
When he was in Phoenix, some talking heads were saying he was overpaid for his production. Depends on how you perceive him. Now he's putting up numbers but it's a small sample. IMO, he's earning his money. Agree about playoffs not really counting. The exception being if he carries the Nets on his back to, at least, the conference finals. Nobody is expecting the Nets to get that far. Then, you could say he's outperformed his contract.
True, but im not saying if he outperformed or underpreformed his contract, im just saying he could have gotten a max contract. This just goes to show that as a player, your better off being the man and getting a max contract, chance of hof, than to play behind someone and making less, for a chance of a ring and no hof.

Look at tmac behind vince, harden at okc, Jermaine oneal at portland, etc. I really thought mikal was just a starter and needed the guys around him to make him better, if not he might be even worse. He is a all star with the nets. Do u realize how much trade value he has for the nets now? At that talent and small contract, they can trade him for 5 first round picks.

Old 03-27-2023, 12:37 AM

Dude just got 44 points. Thats a max contract type of guy.

Old 03-27-2023, 06:01 AM

Nope. Just earning his money. You make it seem like 23 mil a year is chump change. He's earning pretty good money for what he has accomplished up until now. He's not an all-star or all NBA. Not even close for his whole career. Jalen Brunson can explode for 40+ points but that doesn't make him a max contract guy. When he sustains that pace and makes an all star team, then he'll get the bag. Now what the Nets should be doing is taking part of Ben Simmons contract and giving it to Bridges. I just saw they lost that game to the Magic. 44 points in a losing effort? C'mon!

Last edited by quiet life; 03-27-2023 at 06:35 AM..

Old 03-27-2023, 09:22 AM

30,190 posts, read 11,833,280 times
Quote:
Dude just got 44 points. Thats a max contract type of guy.
He scored 44 but was -11. The Cleveland game where they lost by 2 he had 32 but was -14.

Thomas had three 40 point games in a row. I would not give him a max contract, yet. I like Bridges but I don't think you build a team around him. He is scoring but the team keeps losing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball