Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was Angel Reese's taunt of Caitlin Clark warranted?
Yes 6 42.86%
No 8 57.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2023, 07:33 AM

19,773 posts, read 18,055,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Clark shouldn't dish it out if she can't take it. No need for Reese to apologize at all and many have no problem with what she did so no forgiving is necessary (this won't hurt her career one iota). Trash talking goes on all the time and unbeknownst to me (which is why I don't pass judgement without knowing all the facts....like that idiot Keith Olbermann), Clark apparently has been just as disrespectful. So they either both apologize or neither. This shouldn't be a one way street.
That's the problem. Clark wasn't nearly as disrespectful not even close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2023, 09:19 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,918,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
If I was part of Iowa team, I wouldn't go. I don't do participation trophies, first off. Secondly, only the winner goes to the White House. That's tradition. Losers don't deserve the spotlight. To heck with that olive branch.
That olive branch is pure politics. If the election wasn't coming up and the Iowa caucuses being usually the first primary (Dems are trying to change this of course), Doctor Jill wouldn't have made this offer.

Tradition is that the winners go to the White House. Iowa's team should stay home for no other reason. It is LSU's moment that shouldn't be shared. All it would potentially cause is more drama, like we need that.

Old 04-04-2023, 09:21 AM

3,834 posts, read 4,437,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
That's the problem. Clark wasn't nearly as disrespectful not even close.
I've never understood this rationale people use. "I only irritated/annoyed/disrspected you for 2 seconds, why did you then proceed to blast me for 2 hours?" The condemnation of Reese would have been justified if she was going around doing this to every opponent. To my knowledge, she didnt do it to anyone else in the tournament.

It would be the equivalent of being upset with a lion because you poked it with a stick once and it then proceeded to jump up and rip you to shreds. If you sow the wind, you get to reap the whirlwind and everything that comes with it.

I'll put a paycheck on this: had Iowa won, there wouldnt have been a peep about her behavior from anyone.

Simple fact is Caitlin Clark is extremely arrogant on the court. Nevermind the hand waving stunt. You can see her on youtube openly mocking a South Carolina player who she was supposed to be guarding. (again, not a cry of protest to be heard from anyone).

To her credit, she can back up the trash talk with her spectacular play. But occasionally the basketball gods cut her down from time to time. Happens to the best. Steph Curry used to do a shimmy dance after nailing a three...till he then got crushed by Lebron in the 2016 Finals. You win some, you lose some. People need to chill.

Old 04-04-2023, 09:31 AM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
A big difference is Clark pulled the, "you can't see me" thing for about 1 second total. Reese followed Clark around for several seconds. Clark walked away from Reece twice while this was going on.
That ain't no "big difference." Do you think either was using a stopwatch to time her gesture?

In both cases, it was just sports trash talk.

When I first heard about a "hand gesture" from Reese, I thought people were talking about Reese giving Clark the bird, which is has been long regarded as an extremely rude gesture.

When I finally saw that it was about fluttering her hand in front of her face, and that Clark had done it to Reese earlier, I realized it was just much social media ado about nothing.

Old 04-04-2023, 09:34 AM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
For the last few weeks my newsfeed has had stories about NCAA Women's teams showing various deeds of disrespect and fighting with opponents during their tournament. Meanwhile the basketball videos of the Hall of Famers from 35 years ago were telling of their trash talk from back in day featuring one Larry Bird in the discussion of his standing as the possible G.O.A.T.

With Clark breaking through in the elite 8 and final four level to my radar with great games along with showing some professional wrestlers trash talk gimmicks it does seems as if there is a marketing push as women were being shown in a way that men can't do things anymore. Sort of like upstart American football leagues encourage their players to go through elaborate video game worthy celebrations that the NFL has been trying to ban its players are doing.
It's interesting that being a liberated woman looks an awful lot like a toxic male.

Old 04-04-2023, 09:38 AM

19,773 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
I've never understood this rationale people use. "I only irritated/annoyed/disrspected you for 2 seconds, why did you then proceed to blast me for 2 hours?" The condemnation of Reese would have been justified if she was going around doing this to every opponent. To my knowledge, she didnt do it to anyone else in the tournament.

It would be the equivalent of being upset with a lion because you poked it with a stick once and it then proceeded to jump up and rip you to shreds. If you sow the wind, you get to reap the whirlwind and everything that comes with it.

I'll put a paycheck on this: had Iowa won, there wouldnt have been a peep about her behavior from anyone.

Simple fact is Caitlin Clark is extremely arrogant on the court. Nevermind the hand waving stunt. You can see her on youtube openly mocking a South Carolina player who she was supposed to be guarding. (again, not a cry of protest to be heard from anyone).

To her credit, she can back up the trash talk with her spectacular play. But occasionally the basketball gods cut her down from time to time. Happens to the best. Steph Curry used to do a shimmy dance after nailing a three...till he then got crushed by Lebron in the 2016 Finals. You win some, you lose some. People need to chill.
We disagree.

Old 04-04-2023, 10:49 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,558,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That ain't no "big difference." Do you think either was using a stopwatch to time her gesture?

In both cases, it was just sports trash talk.

When I first heard about a "hand gesture" from Reese, I thought people were talking about Reese giving Clark the bird, which is has been long regarded as an extremely rude gesture.

When I finally saw that it was about fluttering her hand in front of her face, and that Clark had done it to Reese earlier, I realized it was just much social media ado about nothing.
Thanks for saving me the trouble of a response. It's silly how people try to throw out the shades of gray., as though there's some rule on a time limit on trash talking. Ridiculous. Clark is no better just because her duration was shorter.

Old 04-04-2023, 12:27 PM

3,429 posts, read 1,558,536 times
Quote:
We disagree.
You're welcome to disagree but to my knowledge, nothing whatsoever was said when Clark pulled her stunt. Rather than jump to conclusions when the episode happened with Reese (as a friend of mine did), the first thing I questioned was why she did it. It didn't take long to find out but I had to dig a little because there was no media response or outrage on twitter (clearly a double standard) when Clark pulled her stunt. The comment is on point that nothing would have been said if Iowa won because nothing was said in the previous actions by Clark.

Old 04-04-2023, 12:43 PM

6,999 posts, read 11,293,992 times
Reese is a Baltimore girl........who puts up numbers like Moses Malone 23/15/1.6 blocks per game. I would expect her to carry herself with some confidence. It's a victim less "crime" regardless. Anyone who is upset is showing more of a response to the actions than Clark or Iowa's coach did. They took it in stride, it was an intense game.

Old 04-05-2023, 05:36 AM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
I'm an LSU fan and I didn't like how Angel responded but the story of the game for me was how magnificent LSU and Iowa played, great game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball