Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2023, 02:57 AM

1,129 posts, read 466,939 times

Advertisements

Its a very similar question to what i asked last year when zion was rushing to get back and they won the play in, and lost to the suns without zion in the first round.

Zion and ingram are all stars, McCollum is a solid starter, plus their crew. Had the had zion all year i think they would have been the 4th seed. I think they have a 5% chance of the ring. If they do win, drafting zion would not be a mistake even if he get injured every year and play 30% of games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2023, 04:32 AM

30,271 posts, read 11,901,825 times
A shot? Yes every team making at least the play in game has a shot. With a little luck and lots of injuries on the teams they are playing any team could win. But the team needs time to play together as a group. The playoffs are not the time to work that out.

Old 04-04-2023, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
A shot? Yes every team making at least the play in game has a shot. With a little luck and lots of injuries on the teams they are playing any team could win. But the team needs time to play together as a group. The playoffs are not the time to work that out.
Lowest seeded team to ever win a ring was the 94-95 houston rockets, in 75 years of nba history. So technically both seventh and eight seeded teams on both conferences has a 0% shot. Play in is 9th and 10th seed, so add that to the list, so 8 teams has no shot. But with zion not playing much all year and you add him into the mix and his fresh body, that changes. Like i said, they would have been the forth seed.

This is not college basketball where its win or go home, and a bad game by a star will cost them everything. A 7 game series is very long and all the weaknesses will show up for the underdog team.

Old 04-04-2023, 09:28 AM

3,858 posts, read 4,463,293 times
Zero shot.
Even with Zion, too many holes to fill. It's a bit surprising to say this about Zion given his physical style of play and frame, but he's not a good rebounder or shot blocker, so they need to get someone to fill that role. They could use a good PG as well...I'll NEVER understand why they traded Jrue Holiday. He was perfect for them, instead they trade him for Bledsoe, seriously wtf. Oh well.

Old 04-04-2023, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Zero shot.
Even with Zion, too many holes to fill. It's a bit surprising to say this about Zion given his physical style of play and frame, but he's not a good rebounder or shot blocker, so they need to get someone to fill that role. They could use a good PG as well...I'll NEVER understand why they traded Jrue Holiday. He was perfect for them, instead they trade him for Bledsoe, seriously wtf. Oh well.
Zion is like 6'5 barefoot with a 6'10 wingspan. With his wide body his standing reach is probably very short. As a pf, being short, he has to make up for it in wingspan but he doesn't. Draymond green at least has a 7'1 wingspan while being 6'5 barefoot. Thats why zions blocks and rebounds is not there. His style of play is good for entertainment, being big, strong, hyper athletic, jumps high, etc. I would much rather choose a 6'10 pf who average 20 and 10, with more blocks than zion at 27, 7, and small block numbers. Zions problem is once theres a switch and he guards a 7 foot center, he will have issues with length. A 6'10 pf cat at least hang with the center.

Last edited by accord2008; 04-04-2023 at 01:27 PM..

Old 04-04-2023, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord2008 View Post
Lowest seeded team to ever win a ring was the 94-95 houston rockets, in 75 years of nba history. So technically both seventh and eight seeded teams on both conferences has a 0% shot. Play in is 9th and 10th seed, so add that to the list, so 8 teams has no shot. But with zion not playing much all year and you add him into the mix and his fresh body, that changes. Like i said, they would have been the forth seed.

This is not college basketball where its win or go home, and a bad game by a star will cost them everything. A 7 game series is very long and all the weaknesses will show up for the underdog team.
I get that this is not college and single game elimination. However.

You look at the Suns a couple years back. Every team they played before the finals had one superstar injured. The Lakers, Denver and the Clippers. If the Lakers had somehow been healthy as a 7 seed. And beat Phoenix which the were up 2-1 before injuries took them out. They could have made the finals that season. Just because this scenario has yet to play out does not mean one year it might. This year in the west you have:

#5 Clippers
#6 Warriors
#7 Lakers
#8 Pelicans

If the teams above them have injuries to superstars or Sacramento has trouble adjusting to the playoffs with an inexperienced team. This could be a year where a 5-8 makes the finals. Because 5-8 all have had major injury problems or major trades that changed their team at the all star break. Its not a normal season at all. And the Clippers could end up a 7 seed or the Warriors.

Old 04-04-2023, 06:14 PM

Quote:
I get that this is not college and single game elimination. However.

You look at the Suns a couple years back. Every team they played before the finals had one superstar injured. The Lakers, Denver and the Clippers. If the Lakers had somehow been healthy as a 7 seed. And beat Phoenix which the were up 2-1 before injuries took them out. They could have made the finals that season. Just because this scenario has yet to play out does not mean one year it might. This year in the west you have:

#5 Clippers
#6 Warriors
#7 Lakers
#8 Pelicans

If the teams above them have injuries to superstars or Sacramento has trouble adjusting to the playoffs with an inexperienced team. This could be a year where a 5-8 makes the finals. Because 5-8 all have had major injury problems or major trades that changed their team at the all star break. Its not a normal season at all. And the Clippers could end up a 7 seed or the Warriors.

Yeah but if the top seeded teams have injuries and the bottom seed gets back their best players from injury and goes to the finals, theres a big chance they wont beat the other conference's team, unless both conference's had their top teams get injured and magically both teams in the finals is 8th seeded. The knicks who made it to the finals in 1999 had no chance against the spurs, had they had ewing they have a small shot.

If the wests 5-8 team made it to the finals, they will still have a tough time against the best team in the east. Its like how in college basketball a 16 seed beats a 1 seed, or 15 beats 2, 14 beats 3, its exciting to watch but you know they will loose down the road. Your right about this year, warriors lost wiggins for many games, lakers had ad and lebron miss many games, and their trades made them much better, pelicans lost zion for many games.

Old 04-04-2023, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord2008 View Post
Yeah but if the top seeded teams have injuries and the bottom seed gets back their best players from injury and goes to the finals, theres a big chance they wont beat the other conference's team, unless both conference's had their top teams get injured and magically both teams in the finals is 8th seeded. The knicks who made it to the finals in 1999 had no chance against the spurs, had they had ewing they have a small shot.

If the wests 5-8 team made it to the finals, they will still have a tough time against the best team in the east. Its like how in college basketball a 16 seed beats a 1 seed, or 15 beats 2, 14 beats 3, its exciting to watch but you know they will loose down the road. Your right about this year, warriors lost wiggins for many games, lakers had ad and lebron miss many games, and their trades made them much better, pelicans lost zion for many games.
I think its very very unlikely that the Pelicans have a chance of winning a title. But they somehow make the finals. And the team they face, their star player gets hurt in the close out game of the ECF. The door is open a little. No Embiid, no Tatum, no Giannis? Question was do they have a shot. 2. Slim and none. At this point is Zion for sure playing in the play in?

Eventually if we do the play in long enough some play in team will win a championship. Maybe 50 years from now. But eventually. And my guess is it will be a team that injuries made them a play in team. I believe early on when Zion was playing. New Orleans had the best record in the west for a while. And Ingram was out.

Old 04-04-2023, 08:33 PM

Quote:
I think its very very unlikely that the Pelicans have a chance of winning a title. But they somehow make the finals. And the team they face, their star player gets hurt in the close out game of the ECF. The door is open a little. No Embiid, no Tatum, no Giannis? Question was do they have a shot. 2. Slim and none. At this point is Zion for sure playing in the play in?

Eventually if we do the play in long enough some play in team will win a championship. Maybe 50 years from now. But eventually. And my guess is it will be a team that injuries made them a play in team. I believe early on when Zion was playing. New Orleans had the best record in the west for a while. And Ingram was out.
Oh yeah i forgot about Ingam missing games.

It will probably be a few hundred years before a 8-10 seeded team win it all in the nba, or a 16 seeded college team wins it all. I really think a 16 seeded college team will win a championship before a 8-10 seeded nba team wins it all. You cant get lucky every game of a 7 game series, for many series, but you have a bigger chance of getting lucky 6 times and win the ncaa championship.

Old 04-13-2023, 05:27 AM

4,055 posts, read 2,398,659 times
Sounds like Kawhi's situation in San Antonio. Too bad. I wanted to see him in, at least, play in action.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba...ad5cd6e3&ei=10

Now, according to Skip Bayless, the forward is healthy enough to play but he doesn't want to take on the court just yet. "From what I've heard, the Pelicans team doctors have cleared Zion Williamson to play in these playoffs games. But Zion's independent team of medical people says he's only 99%, and they don't want to completely clear him until he's 100% ready to go. So, team management is increasingly at odds with Zion's stepfather. And they just believe that the stepfather, with the advice of the medical people on their side, is holding Zion back from playing." Bayless adds that Zion's stepfather isn't happy with the Pelicans because they keep saying they can waive Zion every month if it's the best of their interests. Moreover, he's not the only one unhappy with this decision, as the rest of the Pelicans players also have grown frustrated with this situation. "The Pelicans players are not happy with Zion in particular, because they're fearing he's getting the wrong advice, as a young player, that is messing with his mind. They think he should just suck it up and stand up to both his stepfather and his medical people and just say, 'no, I feel great, I'm going to go ahead and play.'"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball