Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2023, 11:17 AM

6,823 posts, read 14,041,292 times

Advertisements

Larry Bird is a top 10 NBA player of alltime. I have never ever heard one NBA player say he was overrated. Infact they will tell you that he was one of the largest s-talkers of alltime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2023, 12:14 PM

7,022 posts, read 11,320,211 times
No, Bird is not overrated.

Bird could play in any era and would be stupidly good. He would be even better in today's positionless game with an emphasis on shooting, passing, and switching on defense. He was 6'9'' in flatfeet, so call that 6'10 or 6'11 today too........many people don't remember how tall he was, how he averaged over 10 rebounds a season for his career despite playing with Parish and McHale for most of it.

3x All Defensive 2nd team too, lead the league in DEFENSIVE winshares 4X in his career, so while not a stopper one-on-one, he was a plus defensive player by the number every year of his career.

His offensive game speaks for itself.

Old 08-17-2023, 01:21 PM

352 posts, read 225,670 times
Bird, Magic, MJ, Shaq, Dr J, etc...those guys were good but none of them were White Chocolate!

I can watch hours of Jason Williams passing and never get bored...
https://youtu.be/f_UphWCvkj4

That said, Bird was a legend and in my Top 10.

Old 08-17-2023, 01:48 PM

7,457 posts, read 4,693,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltimoreguy1 View Post
Bird, Magic, MJ, Shaq, Dr J, etc...those guys were good but none of them were White Chocolate!

I can watch hours of Jason Williams passing and never get bored...
https://youtu.be/f_UphWCvkj4

That said, Bird was a legend and in my Top 10.
The problem with White Choco, Nash, Kidd, and Stockton is they can't shoot efficiently in volume to be a dominant player. Nash, Kidd, and Stockton got good respective partners that elevated their game in Stoudamire, Kenyon Martin, and The Mailman. If White Choco had that type of player, he'll be at their level.

Speaking of scintillating highlights of videos, I'll don't think I'll get tired of watching Ja's.

Old 08-17-2023, 02:08 PM

7,022 posts, read 11,320,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
The problem with White Choco, Nash, Kidd, and Stockton is they can't shoot efficiently in volume to be a dominant player. Nash, Kidd, and Stockton got good respective partners that elevated their game in Stoudamire, Kenyon Martin, and The Mailman. If White Choco had that type of player, he'll be at their level.

Speaking of scintillating highlights of videos, I'll don't think I'll get tired of watching Ja's.
He and C-Webb had that kind of relationship going, but they swapped out White Chocolate for Mike Bibby and inverted the offense to let Divac and Webber be the playmakers. I loved watching that team, so ahead of their time.

Old 08-17-2023, 05:04 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,631,563 times
The "Top 10" is getting very crowded, but I've hacked my way through it and Bird makes the list. I have the feeling there aren't too many people around anymore who have watched a lot of film from before 1990... myself included. By reputation and what I've seen: Jordan, Wilt, Kareem, LeBron, Magic, Kobe, Curry...

Shaq was effective but I always felt like his game was too one-dimensional, so he's disqualified from my top 10. I would put Bird above him.

I've seen other names on a lot of lists, but I don't know their games: Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Jerry West, Bill Russell.

People will say that Bill Russell was the best Celtics player of all time, but Bird has come up more often in the "top 10" all-time player lists that I've seen... and I actually watched Bird on TV live. So I'll slot Bird and Russell into the top 10.

One spot left... I like Tim Duncan for being the guy who just worked hard and did what was necessary and rarely changed the expression on his face. Can't remember him ever bitching to the refs.

Old 08-17-2023, 07:07 PM

6,574 posts, read 6,745,260 times
Larry Bird was the best passing forward in NBA history among many other attributes. Top 10 player easy.

Old 08-17-2023, 07:12 PM

1,108 posts, read 449,484 times
Larry was lebron esque. Dude averaged 1 apg less than lebron, but averaged more rebounds, was a scorer, shooter.

Old 08-17-2023, 07:50 PM

4,868 posts, read 6,933,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo7tango View Post
My Top 10 in alphabetical order:

Larry Bird — okay he makes my list
Kobe Bryant
Wilt Chamberlain
Steph Curry
Tim Duncan
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
LeBron James
Magic Johnson
Michael Jordan
Bill Russell
That's a pretty solid list. Ditto from me.

Old 08-18-2023, 12:27 AM

16,394 posts, read 30,296,637 times
90% of the people currently bashing Larry Bird never played against him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball