Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2020, 11:45 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,558,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Realistically - I don't see that making much of a difference. If you are employed - this is an excellent time to refinance if you have equity (to get by appraisals) - 30 year conforming loans are running in the 3.25% range.
Employed being the key word. One of the specific final steps they did a few days ago for me before closing is checking employment again. Very unusual, but nothing is usual nowadays.

I managed to close at almost the exact mortgage low last month 2.6% at a half point. I do believe the mortgage rates will move lower from current levels eventually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2020, 01:21 AM

112 posts, read 96,881 times
Default Refi Soon

I'm watching the rates for the right time to do a refi. We're at 4% with quite a bit of equity. It'll be a nice way to take a little money out for a new roof and maybe fence an acre without an increase on our monthly payment. The wind this past year has pulled of several shingles...time for a metal roof.

Old 04-04-2020, 02:20 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,558,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantw View Post
I'm watching the rates for the right time to do a refi. We're at 4% with quite a bit of equity. It'll be a nice way to take a little money out for a new roof and maybe fence an acre without an increase on our monthly payment. The wind this past year has pulled of several shingles...time for a metal roof.
Yeah, sit on the fence and wait for the right time. lender was telling me how great a deal it all was when the rates were in the lower 3s, and i kept telling him to hold on and I wasn't going to blow my load early. When I finally locked, it stayed at that level for a few days before moving up.

I think it'll go back down again and this recession will last in some form for a while. Helicopter money entering the picture made the rate thing more unpredictable.

Old 04-04-2020, 07:24 AM

21,737 posts, read 16,350,818 times
This is a (national) election year. We also just went through a housing market crash within the last decade - AND lenders ABHOR foreclosures. Plus this crisis is based on a single, solvable metric: vaccine/treatment protocol that is virtually certain within a historically precedented window of about a year, max.

What does all that add up to? Politicians, federal reserve, lenders, and corporate world ALL printing LOTS of money to get people through without foreclosures anywhere remotely like the recent crash.

There are already - and will be more - cash relief programs, mortgage and rent support programs, employment/unemployment programs, utility payment programs, student loan and consumer loan postponement programs, tax postponement and deferral programs .... all in the works.

Trump, the GOP, the Democrats all fighting for your vote even as we write our posts. Banks and mortgage lenders choking at the thought of once again taking back millions of homes that would sit empty and deteriorating for varying lengths of time, credit lenders choking on the fear of having to write off bazillions in debt falling away out of reach in bankruptcies.

Nope. This is not a repeat. Even if unemployment hits 35%. It won’t last long this time.

Now, the national debt ratios ... another story

Old 04-14-2020, 11:57 AM

52 posts, read 36,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luau Time View Post
Thank you. I’m checking into it. We’re booked for April 17.

Mahalo for the heads up.
How are things looking?

Old 04-15-2020, 01:45 PM

189 posts, read 189,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitnat View Post
How are things looking?
So far so good. We’re still booked on Hawaiian for Friday, April 17.

Yesterday our UA flight to Chicago was canceled, but United rebooked us to LAX through Washington DC. Turned out to be a better route.

Old 04-15-2020, 02:05 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,831,112 times
Quote:
So far so good. We’re still booked on Hawaiian for Friday, April 17.

Yesterday our UA flight to Chicago was canceled, but United rebooked us to LAX through Washington DC. Turned out to be a better route.
I saw on the news yesterday that 144 tourists arrived to Oahu along with 600+ returnees/ flight crews/ etc..
So it's still possible to get here. At least you have a legitimate reason.

Old 04-15-2020, 02:12 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
I saw on the news yesterday that 144 tourists arrived to Oahu along with 600+ returnees/ flight crews/ etc..
144 visitors - not tourists. Of those 144, certainly some are tourists but many are not.

Old 04-15-2020, 06:34 PM

189 posts, read 189,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
So it's still possible to get here. At least you have a legitimate reason.
Thank you. Today was the first time I have left the house in over a month. We had to close on the sale of our home here in Florida. The escrow agent wore a mask and so did we. I feel like I’m living in a Stephen King novel.

Glad to be returning to our roots having been born and raised there.

Thanks for the update.

Old 04-15-2020, 08:59 PM

52 posts, read 36,807 times
Quote:
Thank you. Today was the first time I have left the house in over a month. We had to close on the sale of our home here in Florida. The escrow agent wore a mask and so did we. I feel like I’m living in a Stephen King novel.

Glad to be returning to our roots having been born and raised there.

Thanks for the update.
Encouraging news, Luau Time. So glad to hear. Safe and healthy travels home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island