Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2020, 06:43 PM

186 posts, read 345,324 times

Advertisements

This is a post I made in another thread, but I need to get this out there, as there has been a crazy amount of real estate activity in Fern Forest. Lots of "sight unseen" purchases. I have learned a lot about Fern Forest in the past few months. I am totally disgusted with what is going on there. There are good people needlessly suffering. If you are in that subdivision right now, please tell me how wrong I am.

I've put multiple offers on lots in Fern Forest. I've gotten as far as the last day of my J1 inspection period. It has been a wild ride. I met a guy who lives there, through my agent, who I would consider my close friend now. I enjoy talking with him, and he is BRUTALLY honest about everything. I would say he has saved my life, and my family's life a few times so far.

This is the deal according to him. There is a few bad apple Ice heads who are totally at war with the whole subdivision. They get will shipments of raw material for ice production at Isaac Hale, from the Philippines, and truck them straight into that subdivision. They move around each time they get busted. They are armed to the teeth, to the point that they robbed the local gun shop, and took ALL the guns. So much so, in fact that the police won't approach them, the HOA is powerless, unless they want to take up arms, and the people moving there from California, just have no idea... The main guy is a native Hawaiian who is intent on driving out all Haoles, by dumping trash and stolen vehicles on every side roads. They can easily get away with it. They cook a lot of meth. Many of the local police are related to this guy. They will patrol the entire subdivision (not just their street) waiting for an empty home, at which point, they will rob you blind, and take everything. Then they go through it, and dump what they don't need on a side road, with Noe Kuwahili currently one of the main dumping spots. Right now, according to a few sources, there is a chest freezer with a padlock on the side of that road, which no one will approach. What could be in there? I was told about at least 3 murders in the past year in that subdivision, 1 of which made headlines in Hawaii, as the victim was released from Hilo prison on probabtion for drug charges, and presumably immeditely went out to Leila street and was killed because he "was too hot". I almost bought a ****ing lot next to one of these dudes!! That's why I say my buddy has saved my life, and my family's life.

So that's the current state of affairs. He doesn't think it will change very soon, as the main bad dude is about 40ish years old, and has maybe 20 more years of severe drug abuse to go before his body starts failing. Not just meth but also heroin. Many of the Natives in that subdivision look the other way, even those who do not do drugs, as they want Haole gone as well. I don't necessarily blame them for wanting Haoles gone, but this guy is apparently a murderer.

That's what I've heard, not just from one source. I obviously am not going to name names, but you need to be very careful out there. I was told to NEVER leave your property, or leave a young girl there by themselves, LOL. If you're ok with that, go for it! What a shame, because it is truly a beautiful location on the BI. I am currently off the island, and wouldn't even consider driving around there without my semi-automatic Rambo style. My buddy says if you can display some weaponry, then they will respect you. Sounds like ****ing warzone! What a nightmare.

Furthermore, many local contractors are buying up the cheapest lots, bulldozing them, and installing a gate at the front, then selling them for 3 times as much to unsuspecting Haole. ALL the lots I have seen have like 10+ years of liens on them from not paying road dues.

In response to another poster's question if the police are doing anything about this, I then wrote this:

No. The police are either related to them, or scared of them. My agent warned me many many times about buying anything in there with a family. She kept telling me she "doesn't feel good about it". The other day, I was looking at a rare square lot, and she couldn't even drive up the road as it was blockaded by burnt out vehicles. No one will stand up to these few individuals, as an eyewitness, or as a victim. For example, dude gets robbed. What does he do? Move away. Or face an assault by ice heads in the middle of the night.

The main problem is drugs. If I were the HOA head, I would put a military-like checkpoint at the entrance, and take down license plates, and not let in the majority of people. It is truly crazy from all the stories I've heard. I could go on and on, and each spot has different stories. These people will also just drive their ATV over your lot, do a doughnut in your driveway, tear it all up, while you're out there drinking your coffee. They just don't give a ****! You can not, and should not, approach them.

There are some locations in the subdivision where people don't get hassled, but something I forgot to mention is that they will buy up lots which are cheap, and trash those so that they are unsellable to other haole. I obviously don't know what these ice heads are thinking, but the main idea is that they get haole out.

I am mentally, physically, and spiritually spent and wasted a good bit of money in inspections, and a lot of time. This is from the past 2 months of searching and putting offers in. I don't even live there! I tried coming here to see what you guys think, if someone can convince me that "it's not that bad". But holy ****, it's way worse than I ever imagined. Good luck to those buying up the cheap land out there!

Again, is anyone out there, living there right now, that can verify this? I have heard it from only 1 person in the subdivision, but from many others who do business there. The advice I got from a "normal person" in this subdivision is shoot to kill, or you'll get sued by an ice head. Let the pigs take care of the evidence, as no one will even come looking for these guys, except more of the same guys.

Last edited by MikeyMike11; 10-14-2020 at 07:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2020, 07:06 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
You should buy in another location

Old 10-14-2020, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
You should buy in another location
Where LOL? This crime spills out to the whole of Puna and the BI... I'm all ears my friend. Unfortunately, I like the location, climate, and elevation of Fern Forest.

Old 10-14-2020, 07:39 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike11 View Post
This is a post I made in another thread, but I need to get this out there, as there has been a crazy amount of real estate activity in Fern Forest. Lots of "sight unseen" purchases. I have learned a lot about Fern Forest in the past few months. I am totally disgusted with what is going on there. There are good people needlessly suffering. If you are in that subdivision right now, please tell me how wrong I am.

I've put multiple offers on lots in Fern Forest. I've gotten as far as the last day of my J1 inspection period. It has been a wild ride. I met a guy who lives there, through my agent, who I would consider my close friend now. I enjoy talking with him, and he is BRUTALLY honest about everything. I would say he has saved my life, and my family's life a few times so far.

This is the deal according to him. There is a few bad apple Ice heads who are totally at war with the whole subdivision. They get will shipments of raw material for ice production at Isaac Hale, from the Philippines, and truck them straight into that subdivision. They move around each time they get busted. They are armed to the teeth, to the point that they robbed the local gun shop, and took ALL the guns. So much so, in fact that the police won't approach them, the HOA is powerless, unless they want to take up arms, and the people moving there from California, just have no idea... The main guy is a native Hawaiian who is intent on driving out all Haoles, by dumping trash and stolen vehicles on every side roads. They can easily get away with it. They cook a lot of meth. Many of the local police are related to this guy. They will patrol the entire subdivision (not just their street) waiting for an empty home, at which point, they will rob you blind, and take everything. Then they go through it, and dump what they don't need on a side road, with Noe Kuwahili currently one of the main dumping spots. Right now, according to a few sources, there is a chest freezer with a padlock on the side of that road, which no one will approach. What could be in there? I was told about at least 3 murders in the past year in that subdivision, 1 of which made headlines in Hawaii, as the victim was released from Hilo prison on probabtion for drug charges, and presumably immeditely went out to Leila street and was killed because he "was too hot". I almost bought a ****ing lot next to one of these dudes!! That's why I say my buddy has saved my life, and my family's life.

So that's the current state of affairs. He doesn't think it will change very soon, as the main bad dude is about 40ish years old, and has maybe 20 more years of severe drug abuse to go before his body starts failing. Not just meth but also heroin. Many of the Natives in that subdivision look the other way, even those who do not do drugs, as they want Haole gone as well. I don't necessarily blame them for wanting Haoles gone, but this guy is apparently a murderer.

That's what I've heard, not just from one source. I obviously am not going to name names, but you need to be very careful out there. I was told to NEVER leave your property, or leave a young girl there by themselves, LOL. If you're ok with that, go for it! What a shame, because it is truly a beautiful location on the BI. I am currently off the island, and wouldn't even consider driving around there without my semi-automatic Rambo style. My buddy says if you can display some weaponry, then they will respect you. Sounds like ****ing warzone! What a nightmare.

Furthermore, many local contractors are buying up the cheapest lots, bulldozing them, and installing a gate at the front, then selling them for 3 times as much to unsuspecting Haole. ALL the lots I have seen have like 10+ years of liens on them from not paying road dues.

In response to another poster's question if the police are doing anything about this, I then wrote this:

No. The police are either related to them, or scared of them. My agent warned me many many times about buying anything in there with a family. She kept telling me she "doesn't feel good about it". The other day, I was looking at a rare square lot, and she couldn't even drive up the road as it was blockaded by burnt out vehicles. No one will stand up to these few individuals, as an eyewitness, or as a victim. For example, dude gets robbed. What does he do? Move away. Or face an assault by ice heads in the middle of the night.

The main problem is drugs. If I were the HOA head, I would put a military-like checkpoint at the entrance, and take down license plates, and not let in the majority of people. It is truly crazy from all the stories I've heard. I could go on and on, and each spot has different stories. These people will also just drive their ATV over your lot, do a doughnut in your driveway, tear it all up, while you're out there drinking your coffee. They just don't give a ****! You can not, and should not, approach them.

There are some locations in the subdivision where people don't get hassled, but something I forgot to mention is that they will buy up lots which are cheap, and trash those so that they are unsellable to other haole. I obviously don't know what these ice heads are thinking, but the main idea is that they get haole out.

I am mentally, physically, and spiritually spent and wasted a good bit of money in inspections, and a lot of time. This is from the past 2 months of searching and putting offers in. I don't even live there! I tried coming here to see what you guys think, if someone can convince me that "it's not that bad". But holy ****, it's way worse than I ever imagined. Good luck to those buying up the cheap land out there!

Again, is anyone out there, living there right now, that can verify this? I have heard it from only 1 person in the subdivision, but from many others who do business there. The advice I got from a "normal person" in this subdivision is shoot to kill, or you'll get sued by an ice head. Let the pigs take care of the evidence, as no one will even come looking for these guys, except more of the same guys.
If all of this is true, why are you still considering this area? Prices are always low in "problem" areas for the kind of reasons you detailed. If you can't afford a better area than this, Hawaii is probably not for you.

Old 10-14-2020, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
If all of this is true, why are you still considering this area? Prices are always low in "problem" areas for the kind of reasons you detailed. If you can't afford a better area than this, Hawaii is probably not for you.
I'm definitely not considering it. I had a close call already with almost purchasing a lot next to one of these guys, because it was cheap and square. I don't even know if I want to live in Puna. In fact, with the Hawaiian Patriot movement, I don't know if it's even right to buy ANYTHING in Hawaii right now. Apparently, there's a lot of upside down Hawaiian flags on the BI right now, and the "real" Hawaiians are still holding it down on the mountain. These are all things which were completely foreign to me, as an outsider, but I am learning more and more.

Also, it's not about affordability for me, I liked the size of the lots, the climate, and location. I understand there are other locations, but this is crime spilling out into the whole of the BI. Oahu, and Maui, are just not my type. I come from a "Wild West" type of place, very rural and wide open. So this lifestyle appealed to me. But we have almost no crime where I am from.

Old 10-14-2020, 10:42 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
Quote:
Where LOL? This crime spills out to the whole of Puna and the BI... I'm all ears my friend. Unfortunately, I like the location, climate, and elevation of Fern Forest.
Lava zones 1,2,3 there is plenty of places for sale.

Old 10-15-2020, 03:12 AM

344 posts, read 250,259 times
Quote:
I'm definitely not considering it. I had a close call already with almost purchasing a lot next to one of these guys, because it was cheap and square. I don't even know if I want to live in Puna. In fact, with the Hawaiian Patriot movement, I don't know if it's even right to buy ANYTHING in Hawaii right now. Apparently, there's a lot of upside down Hawaiian flags on the BI right now, and the "real" Hawaiians are still holding it down on the mountain. These are all things which were completely foreign to me, as an outsider, but I am learning more and more.

Also, it's not about affordability for me, I liked the size of the lots, the climate, and location. I understand there are other locations, but this is crime spilling out into the whole of the BI. Oahu, and Maui, are just not my type. I come from a "Wild West" type of place, very rural and wide open. So this lifestyle appealed to me. But we have almost no crime where I am from.

Interesting. Where do you come from?
Your profile says zip code 59715, that is Bozeman, Montana

The violent crime rate (per 1000 residents) there seems to be:
2.29 in Bozeman, and 3.74 for Montana.

The property crime rate is:
20.96 for Bozeman, and 24.96 for Montana

The equivalent numbers for Pahoa, Hawaii (where Fern Forrest is located) seems to be:
Violent crimes: 3.02 in Pahoa, and 2.49 for Hawaii
Property crimes: 25.2 in Pahoa, and 28.7 for Hawaii

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

So, the crime rate here seems to be slightly higher than in Bozeman, but the difference does not seem be what you might expect between a place with "almost no crime", and the Mad Max like hellscape that you describe. Perhaps, you have been hearing some tall tales.

As for the entire BI, given that the crime rates on the west side are significantly lower than Bozeman, I would not be surprised if the numbers for the entire island were similar to, or better than, Bozeman.

Last edited by Yac; 10-21-2020 at 12:29 AM..

Old 10-15-2020, 09:11 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
I'd be impressed if someone coming from relatively dry Montana would fit in where it rains about 240 inches per year. (Glenwood, Hawaii).

Puna crime is frequently overstated by those who don't live there. It's mostly safe, though property crime is almost a guarantee for vacated/unsecured residences.

Old 10-15-2020, 09:18 AM

Yea, maybe... As far as crime here, I don't have any where I live. I sure hope all these are tall tales.

But when I double check another site with crime stats (not for Pahoa, but for Fern Forest which is where we are talking about) you will find Fern Forest with a solid F rating, and B+ for Bozeman (which I admit is surprising to me). violent crime 402 Fern Forest / 216 Bozeman, and property crime 4638 Fern Forest / 1840 Bozeman. But we also have a campus in town with almost 17,000 college kids where the vast majority of any crime happens. Where I live, a thief can't even drive, so it may be an unfair comparison I will admit that. Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
Fern Forest isn't Pahoa though is it? It's like 40 minutes away from Pahoa town. I was looking specifically in Fern Forest. Eden Roc has some spill over, but you could go to Hawaii Acres, and it would be less even.

Mad Max hellscape: Dude why don't you go for a drive down one of those side roads? It does in fact look like that minus the fancy costumes. The road crews don't go in there, and like I said, there were burnt out vehicles in the road.

Last edited by Yac; 10-21-2020 at 12:21 AM..

Old 10-15-2020, 09:23 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Mad Max hellscape: Dude why don't you go for a drive down one of those side roads? It does in fact look like that minus the fancy costumes. The road crews don't go in there, and like I said, there were burnt out vehicles in the road.

Worth checking out, I will do so. Not sure I've ever been in that subdivision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island