Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 01:59 PM

32 posts, read 129,122 times

Advertisements

someone told me that we would be accepted in Birmingham. My husband is black/Haitian and I am caucasian. Would Birmingham be an accepting city?

Would there be areas of Birmingham to stay away from?
How interracial are the schools?
How is the job situation?

thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2006, 12:46 PM

1 posts, read 5,373 times
Default Interracial Family

I live in southern Alabama. I didn't realize people still had such concerns about Alabama. There are narrow minded people all over the world and I'm sorry that you have to be concerned about these types things. I'm sure there are plenty of interracial families in B'ham.

Old 08-15-2006, 01:57 PM

8 posts, read 29,035 times
Smile llwags1 in Birmingham

I too, am sorry that there are so many negative ideas still out there about Alabama. You would be very much accepted here. I, myself have a bi-racial grandchild. I am a realtor here in Birmingham and I would be more than happy to help you in any way should you decide to move here.

Old 08-20-2006, 11:51 PM

2 posts, read 9,064 times
Default My son and I are also looking to relocate

I am caucausian and my son is biracial mixed with black. I am looking to move into the Cherokee County area. My Aunt and Uncle just bought a house out there in Centre. I want to live close to them not to far. Does anyone know the racial break up of Centre or Cedar Bluff? I am looking for some rental information also.

Old 08-27-2006, 10:50 PM

3 posts, read 22,213 times
The Centre / Cedar Bluff area is mostly white, the breakdown is something like 92% causcasin, 3 % balck, 2% hispanic. These are realitively small towns, however you have Gasdsden to the south which is a larger population and mixture of races. Remember we are all 94%human and 6% ethnic, that doesn't make a lot difference to some, but to most it does. We have many caucausians and blacks that are married or daing raising children together. And you will find if you move to Centre/ Cedar Bluff it is the same. As far as rentals go there is lafe front property which may be a little higher, talk to your Aunt and Uncle and let them ask around, you will soon find out, that in smaller towns, someone will know about rentals.

Old 09-07-2006, 10:55 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
I think you need to figure out what PART of Birmingham you want to move to, and go from there as far as attitudes.

I know several people who live in the Birmingham area, and they range from people who wouldn't even bat an eye twice at an interracial couple, all the way to those who would put a "for sale" sign in their yard the day after such a couple would move in next door.

Even over here in Atlanta attitudes vary very widely. Go 15 miles West of the city and you will see quite a few mixed race couples and kids around. Travel just 7 miles further West however, and you'll see less and see more raised eyebrows at such. A neighbor of mine has a mixed grandchild and some of the other neighbors upon meeting the child the first time gave very "worried" looks to them, and one even whispered, "I am so SO sorry" to the grandmother - as in, it's considered a huge shame. So in a 7 mile range you go from near full acceptance to near full nonacceptance... the same fluxes can be found in Alabama/Birmingham, so you need to investigate the specific burb and area.

There is always the case that the fact your husband is Haitian might be an issue there, too. Around here, people in general tend to not have a huge problem with black men (unless they're teens, then they associate them with crime), but if the man speaks and they hear what they call "an island accent", I've seen some pretty harsh reactions. We've had a large migration of people from "the Islands" moving into my area in the last couple of years and the cultural difference is pretty significant, causing lots of tension among the shop/store owners who have them coming in, as well as neighbors who live near their families. I know from one buddy in Birmingham that there are some small pocket areas there where a lot of Haitian and Jamaican people are moving into, and it might be worth investigating how the locals who were already in those areas are reacting to it.

So again, study the specific neighborhood/area you want, not the city as a whole, as attitudes will vary widely.

Old 09-15-2006, 12:54 PM

32 posts, read 129,122 times
Default oh thanks

I appreciate all of your answers. I think you are giving me a great understandin of the area. Like ANYwhere in the US folks can be amazingly wonderful and don't mind anyone's race and there are those that are just plain cruel...
thanks again for your comments.

Old 11-24-2006, 11:48 PM

2 posts, read 11,309 times
Default No Way!

I am caucasian female from Central Alabama (Tuscaloosa) and because I joined the military 19 years ago I left. Married an african american and have two kids. My parents and most of my family have not spoken to me since. I have visited my sister a total of 3 times and the last time was last year. For the most part people haven't changed their attitudes, the younger generation seem more accepting. We went shopping and got stared at the entire time. I would not want to raise my kids in that kind of environment, but good luck to you!

Old 11-26-2006, 01:40 PM

109 posts, read 365,307 times
Basically, by making the decision to intermix, you should have known you'd face these situations in life, and learn to deal with them. I'd imagine you'll run into this anywhere you go. Many people black, white, hispanic are proud of their heritage and see this as shameful. Myself, I don't care what people do, as long as it doesn't bother me.

Old 11-27-2006, 07:23 AM

465 posts, read 2,426,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITBOSS View Post
Basically, by making the decision to intermix, you should have known you'd face these situations in life, and learn to deal with them. I'd imagine you'll run into this anywhere you go. Many people black, white, hispanic are proud of their heritage and see this as shameful. Myself, I don't care what people do, as long as it doesn't bother me.
Pitboss, I'd be careful there, interracial marriage has nothing to do with being proud or not being proud of your heritage. I shutter at the thought of someone considering interracial marriage shameful. With this country having a skyrocketing 50-60% divorce rate, I think race is the least of our concerns. Finding someone of the same race is fairly easy, finding someone to love you forever is much, much, harder. So let's keep our priorities in order, shall we?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area