Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 07:19 AM

1,672 posts, read 2,879,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Like I said, I am disappointed that Birmingham has not lived up to its full potential. It is in a beautiful area with the hills and such, but just lacks many things to do. I wish it could be more competitive with Atlanta. But Atlanta is just light years away now, at one point on or around 1950 they were very much the same size. My point above in VALID, sorry, and just the fact you mentioned "Jewish" people driving Mercedes and BMWs is a racist remark. Currently Birmingham is in a mess not totally different from a Rustbelt city.
1. I think we all are

2. While most people think Atlanta's a sprawling mess . Most people with half a brain probably wish we could compete with Atlanta.

3. While Bham is in a mess, I dont think we are at the level of cities like Buffalo, etc, etc.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga native View Post
I would thank my lucky stars that it is not another Atlanta. Urban sprawl and bumper to bumper rude
people. Oh yes..I left and never intend on going back.
Oh yeah the last time I was over there, everyone I made eye contact with was just outright mean, and the sprawl and the massive traffic just made my stay just awful.

Seriously you lived in a metro with 5 million + people. What did ya expect? A small town with one stop light?.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:26 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,603,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
Oh yeah the last time I was over there, everyone I made eye contact with was just outright mean, and the sprawl and the massive traffic just made my stay just awful.

Seriously you lived in a metro with 5 million + people. What did ya expect? A small town with one stop light?.
A town in which you don't have to drive.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
I went over to check out the NC forum, and it seems to me its not a major deal to most. Also, infrastructure can keep pace with growth if its done right to start with. The problem here is that we dont build infrastructure for future needs, we wait for the problem to get out of hand, THEN we want to do something about it. (prime example Hwy 280)

So yes a 35% growth rate within a 10 yr period doesnt automatically equate to endless sprawl.
Coming from a place that is the result of sprawl, you don't realize that as soon as you build a highway, the traffic increases, and little is changed, except you will have had subsidized more and further flight from the central area of the metro area, and paved over nature and agricultural lands in the process.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:03 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Quote:
The problem here is that we dont build infrastructure for future needs, we wait for the problem to get out of hand, THEN we want to do something about it. (prime example Hwy 280)
That's how I feel about the northern beltline. I don't understand all the opposition against it. If we wait until we desperately need it, it will be too late and too expensive to build.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
That's how I feel about the northern beltline. I don't understand all the opposition against it. If we wait until we desperately need it, it will be too late and too expensive to build.
The opposition is that I don't think this is the type of infrastructure I want. There are other infrastructure needs I would. I think supporting spending into highways actually works counter to the economic health of the city itself. And it were to succeed due to extensive suburban sprawl, it would then create the kind of city I wouldn't want to live in. Not everyone wants to live in Atlanta, and it is not because we have less than half a brain (at least I THINK my other half is around here, somewhere).

Old 03-07-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
Coming from a place that is the result of sprawl, you don't realize that as soon as you build a highway, the traffic increases, and little is changed, except you will have had subsidized more and further flight from the central area of the metro area, and paved over nature and agricultural lands in the process.
Thats true, but who is to say out of that 35% growth all of it would be in the suburbs. If the central city can get its act together it could become an attractive place to move into. Birmingham has enough infrastructure to support a population over 300k plus.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I think most of the opposition is coming from those who believe that it would effect the area's water supply. The end of the Northern Beltline in NE Jefferson County is near the beginning of the Cahaba River.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
The opposition is that I don't think this is the type of infrastructure I want. There are other infrastructure needs I would. I think supporting spending into highways actually works counter to the economic health of the city itself. And it were to succeed due to extensive suburban sprawl, it would then create the kind of city I wouldn't want to live in. Not everyone wants to live in Atlanta, and it is not because we have less than half a brain (at least I THINK my other half is around here, somewhere).
So what kind of infrastructure needs would you rather the money and time be focused on?. Light rail and HSR dont have the support area wide, but spending the money on existing infrastructure would be a great idea, but what can you do with the 4.3 billion dollars you would of spent with the Northern Beltline. The reconstruction of malfunction junction would obviously be the highest priority in my opinion.

The reasoning behind the Northern Beltline in the first place is to route commercial traffic around the city. This also could be a toll road project, it would be completed in half the time or less.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:28 AM

52 posts, read 173,598 times
It's so sad Birmingham is one of the only major southern sunbelt cities to b losing population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area