Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 03:17 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,877,052 times

Advertisements

This corridor has the potential to be the next, but more managed 280. The planned Lakeshore extention in Bessemer from Hwy 150 to I-459 could provide another route for commuters in and out of areas in Shelby County like Helena and Alabaster.

The Wildwood North shopping center would be a good location for an IKEA (if it ever opens a store here) or another large scale retail project.

Opinions, future development plans, etc are welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 03:51 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
This used to be a great go to spot for shopping and entertainment. Now both theaters, gone and a huge hole at the end of the strip the last I saw. Man, recession is hell. With all the apartments down there I can not imagine this area not seeing a resurgence. I'm sure plenty of Samford students and maybe some UAB students live there so that might attract the IKEA people.

To what city does this area belong too? Is it split in half between Birmingham and Bessemer or does Homewood have a cut too?

What became of the plan to put the huge park and perhaps even upscale communit bordering on Lipscomb and Wild West End?

Running it as four lanes over Morgan rd and on to 459 would probably help too.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
This used to be a great go to spot for shopping and entertainment. Now both theaters, gone and a huge hole at the end of the strip the last I saw. Man, recession is hell. With all the apartments down there I can not imagine this area not seeing a resurgence. I'm sure plenty of Samford students and maybe some UAB students live there so that might attract the IKEA people.

To what city does this area belong too? Is it split in half between Birmingham and Bessemer or does Homewood have a cut too?

What became of the plan to put the huge park and perhaps even upscale communit bordering on Lipscomb and Wild West End?

Running it as four lanes over Morgan rd and on to 459 would probably help too.
Wildwood is in Homewood, not sure what lead to its decline. The Old Navy store in moving from their location there.

Red Mountain Park is open to the public.

Having a four lane hwy from I-65 to Morgan Rd/I-459 then to Helena would do wonders for traffic in Shelby County.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:27 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Ah yes it is open. I guess what I read about was a major expansion along with the dream of putting a high end community either there or perhaps on the wasteland of the Ensley works.

We live in Helena and Morgan road is a pain. It needs to be four lane all the way down but I can tell by the way a lot of the homes and businesses sit it is already too late in some spots. I don't know much about the Bessemer side though.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:49 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,083,992 times
Quote:
Ah yes it is open. I guess what I read about was a major expansion along with the dream of putting a high end community either there or perhaps on the wasteland of the Ensley works.

We live in Helena and Morgan road is a pain. It needs to be four lane all the way down but I can tell by the way a lot of the homes and businesses sit it is already too late in some spots. I don't know much about the Bessemer side though.

All to know about Bessemer at this time, is, THE BRIGHT STAR.

raj

Old 07-24-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:

There is enough right of way for a four lane Lakeshore from 150 to Morgan Rd. That shouldnt change in the near future.

It would be very difficult to widen Morgan Rd from I-459 to at least the Cahaba River Bridge without re-routing it in some cases, especially at the South Shades Crest Rd interchange.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
All to know about Bessemer at this time, is, THE BRIGHT STAR.

raj
If Bessemer becomes part of a future Helena/Alabaster to I-65 Homewood corridor that would likely change.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:42 PM

153 posts, read 277,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
If Bessemer becomes part of a future Helena/Alabaster to I-65 Homewood corridor that would likely change.
That would be interesting.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:45 PM

Since Jefferson County is coming out of bankruptcy. Should ALDOT take control of maintaining Lakeshore Pkwy and extending it to I-459? (It's currently a county project)

Should it also be numbered as a state highway?

Old 09-10-2013, 07:02 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,083,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
Since Jefferson County is coming out of bankruptcy. Should ALDOT take control of maintaining Lakeshore Pkwy and extending it to I-459? (It's currently a county project)

Should it also be numbered as a state highway?
Good point. I know Lakeshore on the east of I-65 is HWY 149, but I don't know whether that is a county or state hwy.

raj
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area