Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 02:28 PM

20 posts, read 15,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawson1237 View Post
I disagree with including Tuscaloosa, Cullman, and/or Anniston in Bhams population. I don't consider those part of Bham's metro at all but that's just my opinion because they're very separate, not connected, and it's not reasonable to call them the same metro. So if Cullman booms, I don't really feel it in Bham; it doesn't make Bham a "big city".

However, can its metro reach 2m? Sure, as long as all the development downtown works and brings people and jobs. The problem is we need good jobs down there. That could happen after Bham builds the infrastructure downtown to attract new businesses.
Anniston, Gadsden & Tuscaloosa definitely aren't part of Birmingham, and what happens there has as much effect on BHAM as what happens in Mobile. Cullman, on the other hand, I believe is truly part of BHAM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 02:41 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,373,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazedfire View Post
Anniston, Gadsden & Tuscaloosa definitely aren't part of Birmingham, and what happens there has as much effect on BHAM as what happens in Mobile. Cullman, on the other hand, I believe is truly part of BHAM.
Anniston has more in common with Atlanta than Birmingham, probably Gadsden as well.

Old 03-12-2015, 02:57 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Anniston has more in common with Atlanta than Birmingham, probably Gadsden as well.
Lol, no it doesn't. All those cities are in our TV market and have more commuters to this area.

You Atlanta worshippers are funny and really have to dig deep these days for your "facts."

Old 03-13-2015, 10:52 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,485,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Uh, that is so not true. My parents live now in the Anniston area and have for over a decade. I visit them once month. There is nothing in reference to Atlanta there at all. Cable One even removed WSB-TV and WGCL from the basic channel line up nearly 2 decades ago. Most people there would go to Birmingham any day before even considering going to Atlanta. As a matter fact, it only takes 45-50 minutes to get to downtown Birmingham versus nearly 90-120 minutes to reach downtown Atlanta from Anniston.

As Tourian said, Anniston (Gadsden as well) is a part of the Birmingham retail trade area and demographic market area (DMA).

Old 03-13-2015, 11:25 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 205Bhamurbanite View Post
B HAM is already a BIGGG city . Getting Bigger the Right way.
You need to travel more. Go to Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, etc.. those are REAL big cities. Birmingham is a midsize city.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:57 PM

121 posts, read 164,304 times
Um I have lol , so I would know. I Ask people all the time people who from here an transplants if they think BHAM is big ? An they respond with a yes. More entertainment, transit, jobs, 5 lane I65 , I20/59 7 miles in distance around downtown , another highrise or 2 an that's all bham needs hypothetically I wouldn't be surprised if BHAM swollows memphis soon.imo

Last edited by 205Bhamurbanite; 03-13-2015 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 03-13-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Um I have lol , so I would know. I Ask people all the time people who from here an transplants if they think BHAM is big ? An they respond with a yes. More entertainment, transit, jobs, 5 lane I65 , I20/59 7 miles in distance around downtown , another highrise or 2 an that's all bham needs hypothetically I wouldn't be surprised if BHAM swollows memphis soon.imo
No highrises are planned or going to be built in Birmingham for decades to come. Only if and when they land some Fortune 500 companies,(unlikely), then they might build a tower . Plus their is a height restriction because of the landing strip for an airport there.
How is it going to swallow Memphis?? Memphis is way more dense already than BHAM.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:45 AM

121 posts, read 164,304 times
Big stick get real , you do not know what MAYOR BELL has up sleeve regarding a new highrise . Wow people act like they have the power of wanting BHAM to suck well sorry. BHAM is doing the unthinkable now

Old 03-14-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Big stick get real , you do not know what MAYOR BELL has up sleeve regarding a new highrise . Wow people act like they have the power of wanting BHAM to suck well sorry. BHAM is doing the unthinkable now
Well tell us the news????

Old 03-15-2015, 05:05 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,772,785 times
Quote:

You tell people get real in the same thread that you say you wouldn't be surprised for Birmingham to swallow Memphis.

Also, the mayor has nothing up his sleeve regarding a new high-rise. If we just disregard the fact that the mayor isn't the one that invests in new skyscrapers, keep in mind there is just no demand for one. If a Fortune 500 company moves its headquarters here, then okay... but until that happens, you aren't going to see a million square feet of new office space in one building. There's just no point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area