Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which major league sport shows up in the Ham first?
NBA Action is Fantastic 27 29.67%
NFL Real Football 9 9.89%
Baseball 8 8.79%
Futbol 19 20.88%
Who cares?!!! Roll Blaze Damn Eagles!!! 5 5.49%
RAWR None! I'm gonna create more C/D acounts to vote NO over and over again! 23 25.27%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 10:15 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde Chic View Post
If Birmingham...
You told us we couldn't get the Word Games...False.
You told us the downtown ballpark would fail...False.
You told us Uptown would fail...False.
You told us there wouldn't be any new development downtown...False

Now you are saying we can't and won't ever have a pro team...
Recent history shows that it is unwise to bet against Birmingham, and EVER is a long time.

P.S. Don't forget to votes in the poll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 02:23 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
Which sport is the cheapest?
THAT's the one it will get first.

Follow the money.
Where are the deep-pockets sponsors? Birmingham had more of those 15 years ago than now.

Old 04-15-2015, 02:36 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post

Follow the money.
Where are the deep-pockets sponsors? Birmingham had more of those 15 years ago than now.
Actually the opposite is true. Lots of people made lots of money in all those corporate sellouts.

Old 04-15-2015, 02:40 PM

74 posts, read 89,329 times
I see Basketball coming 1st, because of the BBVA Compass tie to the NBA.

Old 04-15-2015, 02:46 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,568,609 times
the dealbreaker will be who is gonna pay for the stadium. Metro coffers are weak, corp sponsors of that magnitude aren't going to pony up the money, and the tax payer base will scream in horror at a !gasp! tax increase.

Will not happen. Should not happen. Ship has sailed. Back to making craft beer.

Old 04-15-2015, 02:58 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
the dealbreaker will be who is gonna pay for the stadium. Metro coffers are weak, corp sponsors of that magnitude aren't going to pony up the money, and the tax payer base will scream in horror at a !gasp! tax increase.

Will not happen. Should not happen. Ship has sailed. Back to making craft beer.
Actually, the money to build it has already been secured through existing taxes. The real estate has already been secured as well.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Soccer is the cheapest. Followed by basketball

Quote:
Where are the deep-pockets sponsors?
Regions, AT&T, UAB Medical, St. Vincent's, Honda, Baptist Health System, Alabama Power, Children's Health System, Mercedes Benz, Blue Cross & Blue Shield, BBVA Compass...

Old 04-15-2015, 03:04 PM

106 posts, read 162,038 times
The dome will be built, it's just not quite time yet. I've probed enough significant players who would have influence over the project and off the record, all of them have indicated that it seems inevitable. The money isn't the largest issue they face. There are some logistical matter to be resolved, but I guarantee you that somewhere in America today, a professional has their hands on the dome project.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicCityMick View Post
The dome will be built, it's just not quite time yet. I've probed enough significant players who would have influence over the project and off the record, all of them have indicated that it seems inevitable. The money isn't the largest issue they face. There are some logistical matter to be resolved, but I guarantee you that somewhere in America today, a professional has their hands on the dome project.
Could it be the 20/59 bridge replacement project?

Old 04-15-2015, 03:49 PM

106 posts, read 162,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Could it be the 20/59 bridge replacement project?
Mmmhmm, def part of it.

Btw, I didn't mean to be vague or even hold myself out as having privileged info in my post. But being a nut about vaulting Bham into the next tier, I kicked the subject around a lot last summer with area attorneys who represent virtually every party that would be involved with the dome. What was comforting to learn is that the project is actually kept on the shortlist of things-to-address; they are being proactive about it. There's a lot of uncertainty over where to put the damn thing, although my impression is that it's always been destined for the lots adjacent to uptown and BJCC. Folks are concerned about how the 20/59 bridge replacement will affect access to a facility in that location, and the affect on the immediately adjacent residential streets.

There's also been much back and forth over the structure itself. How big? Will it be outfitted as more of a convention facility? Can it be modified to host sports? So when I referenced logistical concerns earlier, I meant concerns re: (i) the infrastructure that will serve the dome, (ii) the design on the dome (they've scrapped all previous concepts), and (iii) the balance analysis over any benefit/detriment to prospective locations (again, I don't see one more viable than the Uptown lots, but I've been told there are other possibilities).

These issues are being addressed behind closed doors while we wait and wonder. The mayor wants it and there is a plan in place for financing, but the city/county attorneys have indicated that there is some prudence in a protracted finalization -- there are still some outstanding claims against Jeff Co. stemming from the bankruptcy and I believe they want more complete resolution of those matters before they pull the trigger on such an expensive and consequential project. The drawback, and this is my opinion, to waiting is that the city continues to seek expert appraisals on dome feasibility, and not everyone comes with a shining endorsement.

Because the dissenters are right in a few respects, mainly that it entails a high degree of risk.

But this project, along with the interstate improvements / developments, are the most crucial to Bham's future. The recovering economy is spurring a lot of development in the southeast - people flocking to the area in droves - and Nashville and Charlotte stand on the precipice of a construction gold rush. There's renewed interest in New Orleans, Memphis, and god help us, in 30 years, Atl may very well resemble a slightly smaller Manhattan. Point being, if yall think our sister cities are lapping us now, I'm afraid a domeless Bham is going to relegate us to a irreconcilable low that will begin to threaten attrition of some of our most entrenched businesses. It's make or break, without wanting to sound too dramatic. Bell understands this.

Last edited by MagicCityMick; 04-15-2015 at 04:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area