Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2019, 02:32 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,168,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
So are we pretending the Super Bowl wasn't hosted in Atlanta?

And no, the "international bounce" that Atlanta got from the Olympics will absolutely dwarf what Birmingham will get. It's not similar. It's not even in the same universe.

Also, lol at having the attention of the entire world.

The total economic impact on our local economy over the course of 11 days will be about what a big time bowl game brings over the course of 3.

It's nothing to sneeze at... but while you believe it would be unwise to downplay the event... if people are trying to say it is the second biggest sporting event the southeast has ever seen then it NEEDS to be downplayed because that is just absurd. I'm guessing attendance at the events will be between 20,000 and 30,000 per day... or about what a UAB home football game draws. And those crowds will be spread out at venues all across the area.
https://birminghamwatch.org/2021-wor...dollars-yes-b/

I think your local impact numbers might be just a tab low....j/s

http://www.chick-fil-apeachbowl.com/...lanta-economy/
Take atlanta chick-fil-a peach bowl, which is a NY6 major bowl...and you see their numbers from their past 2 games held there. Not even close to what the world games are estimated to do for our area...

Last edited by mcalumni01; 11-07-2019 at 03:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2019, 03:16 PM

2,448 posts, read 2,233,471 times
found this article about television coverage of the 2017 world games:

TWG2017 TELEVISED IN THE USA

if it's the same in 2021, sounds like it will mostly be available on certain apps and websites, particularly The Olympic Channel and NBCSports.com.

Old 11-07-2019, 05:09 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post

2018 Peach Bowl, Inc. Events Deliver $80.9 Million Boost to Atlanta Economy | Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl
Take atlanta chick-fil-a peach bowl, which is a NY6 major bowl...and you see their numbers from their past 2 games held there. Not even close to what the world games are estimated to do for our area...

Sugar Bowl, ~300 million:
https://www.bizneworleans.com/the-al...-championship/

But regardless... me comparing the economic impact of the world games to a major bowl game seems a lot more in line than comparing the international bounce Birmingham can expect to see as "similar" to the Olympics.

Old 11-07-2019, 06:38 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,168,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Sugar Bowl, ~300 million:
https://www.bizneworleans.com/the-al...-championship/

But regardless... me comparing the economic impact of the world games to a major bowl game seems a lot more in line than comparing the international bounce Birmingham can expect to see as "similar" to the Olympics.

Old 11-07-2019, 10:15 PM

910 posts, read 834,316 times
I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens! Birmingham wins regardless!

Old 11-08-2019, 07:37 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
All the comparison to bigger, better-known events is pointless and kind of stupid. The significance of the World Games isn't the headlines it will or will not make. Instead, what will matter is if we indeed manage to pull off an event with multiple venues while accommodating thousands and thousands of visitors. Do it well, and we're suddenly on the map for recruiting other events with similar levels of demand.

Old 11-08-2019, 08:54 AM

666 posts, read 516,706 times
When it comes to "pulling off this event" doubt, as long as there's not a bombing, we've beat Atlanta in that sense.

Old 11-09-2019, 12:36 AM

910 posts, read 834,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
All the comparison to bigger, better-known events is pointless and kind of stupid. The significance of the World Games isn't the headlines it will or will not make. Instead, what will matter is if we indeed manage to pull off an event with multiple venues while accommodating thousands and thousands of visitors. Do it well, and we're suddenly on the map for recruiting other events with similar levels of demand.
Exactly MinivaDriver! People want to downplay this event, but if we pull this off, we instantly are in a different league as it relates to hosting sporting events!

Old 11-09-2019, 06:39 AM

377 posts, read 340,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post

2018 Peach Bowl, Inc. Events Deliver $80.9 Million Boost to Atlanta Economy | Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl
Point taken, that would be a very significant impact for Birmingham.

Old 11-09-2019, 07:01 AM

377 posts, read 340,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotLuv4Bham View Post
Exactly MinivaDriver! People want to downplay this event, but if we pull this off, we instantly are in a different league as it relates to hosting sporting events!
I think so too and come 2021 I am getting the feeling that the World Games will be getting plenty of attention. I also think the international "bounce" and exposure of the city and its upgraded facilities to the nation and the world will be noticeable for sure and will be a surprise for a lot of people. I would not be surprised if after this event the city again gets serious looks from the NCAA for basketball and football and it can't hurt in the hunt for bringing pro sports to town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area