Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2019, 08:22 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,167,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee48 View Post
I think so too and come 2021 I am getting the feeling that the World Games will be getting plenty of attention. I also think the international "bounce" and exposure of the city and its upgraded facilities to the nation and the world will be noticeable for sure and will be a surprise for a lot of people. I would not be surprised if after this event the city again gets serious looks from the NCAA for basketball and football and it can't hurt in the hunt for bringing pro sports to town.
Protective Stadium will host a kickoff cfb game either every year or every other year, bank on that. The SEC Headquarters are directly across the street. The comissioner now and the one before him has proclaim for years that if birmingham had an modern football facility that they could envisioned birmingham hosting such a game. It won't be alabama or auburn every year, but it will be a team from the conference playing. A remodeled legacy arena will indeed get the ncaa basketball tournment back 100%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2019, 08:53 AM

377 posts, read 340,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post
Protective Stadium will host a kickoff cfb game either every year or every other year, bank on that. The SEC Headquarters are directly across the street. The comissioner now and the one before him has proclaim for years that if birmingham had an modern football facility that they could envisioned birmingham hosting such a game. It won't be alabama or auburn every year, but it will be a team from the conference playing. A remodeled legacy arena will indeed get the ncaa basketball tournment back 100%.
I've been hearing that as well about an upcoming SEC kickoff game in Birmingham with a new stadium and that will be awesome! B'ham loves SEC football and that is a great way to start college football every year. I am hoping for a yearly SEC kickoff game in Protective Stadium in downtown Birmingham rather than every other year but we'll see how that plays out, we might even get an upgraded Birmingham Bowl. I am very excited about the renovation of Legacy Arena and the chance to get back into the NCAA tournament and have a strong B'ham March madness presence again. That is probably the most underrated improvement coming that will pay dividends.

Old 11-11-2019, 07:30 AM

450 posts, read 336,237 times
Anyone know when the BJCC plans to release renderings of the interior improvements to Legacy Arena? I saw that construction bids on Protective Stadium are due in mid-December.

Old 11-11-2019, 04:08 PM

346 posts, read 265,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamblazer View Post
Anyone know when the BJCC plans to release renderings of the interior improvements to Legacy Arena? I saw that construction bids on Protective Stadium are due in mid-December.
No clue, but I'm interested as well. They keep announcing concerts further and further back, so I wonder when they will stop announcing new events.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area