Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2022, 03:26 AM

1,017 posts, read 637,410 times

Advertisements

An act of this magnitude would never have been landed by Legion Field. It would take a huge morally bankrupt leap of twisted mental gymnastics to form a negative counter argument to that. Can't wait to ignore those who'll try anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2022, 06:27 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,028,320 times
I didn't take this, but here's yet another rebuke to the short-sighted, unimaginative knuckle-draggers who groused that this stadium wouldn't succeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZU26n_G0uA

Old 06-05-2022, 06:37 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,766,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I didn't take this, but here's yet another rebuke to the short-sighted, unimaginative knuckle-draggers who groused that this stadium wouldn't succeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZU26n_G0uA
wow… you really think one sold out concert a year is going to make it a worthy investment. come back and find me when there are 20-30 of these a year.

Old 06-05-2022, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
wow… you really think one sold out concert a year is going to make it a worthy investment. come back and find me when there are 20-30 of these a year.

I see you're still struggling with math.

$3 million a year is the city's debt service on the stadium. I'd say that sales taxes and hospitality taxes for this concert probably paid most of that in one night. In fact, I'd argue that the collective economic impact of the World Games, the USFL, two HBCU match up games, the Alabama High School football championships, UAB, soccer, and the Birmingham Bowl have already gone a long way towards paying for this stadium. And that's this year alone. It is generating a huge profit for the city in its very first year in terms of increased tax revenue. The ROI has been huge so far.

You know, I'd respect your points a good deal more if you actually had the basic honesty to say, "Okay. I didn't think it would succeed. I'm glad I was wrong." Instead, because you have a weird agenda and animus against the city's success, you'd rather than continue to double down on the carping despite the stadium's obvious success.

Instead, you just move the goalposts with absolutely ridiculous yardsticks for success. 20-30 concerts a year? Seriously?

Last edited by MinivanDriver; 06-05-2022 at 07:21 AM..

Old 06-05-2022, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I see you're still struggling with math.

$3 million a year is the city's debt service on the stadium. I'd say that sales taxes and hospitality taxes for this concert probably paid most of that in one night. In fact, I'd argue that the collective economic impact of the World Games, the USFL, two HBCU match up games, the Alabama High School football championships, UAB, soccer, and the Birmingham Bowl have already gone a long way towards paying for this stadium. And that's this year alone. It is generating a huge profit for the city in its very first year in terms of increased tax revenue. The ROI has been huge so far.

You know, I'd respect your points a good deal more if you actually had the basic honesty to say, "Okay. I didn't think it would succeed. I'm glad I was wrong." Instead, because you have a weird agenda and animus against the city's success, you'd rather than continue to double down on the carping despite the stadium's obvious success.

Instead, you just move the goalposts with absolutely ridiculous yardsticks for success. 20-30 concerts a year? Seriously?
Imagine thinking that a concert that drew like 50,000-60,000 people generated $3 million in net tax revenue for the city. You might want to remath that, lol. Seriously, crunch the numbers and post them here. I think you'll see how foolish your assertion was.

The ROI has been huge so far? Based on what?

I have very little interest in whether or not the stadium turns out to be a good investment or not. I just laugh at the notion that one big time event and a bunch of events that can't even get a big crowd when tickets are given away is proof positive that everything is working fantastically and it was a no brainer of an investment.

Is the stadium "ahead" or "behind"? I don't really know. It's probably pretty close to neutral. The USFL exclusivity was a nice get that probably pushed it into the positive, but that in all likelihood is gone now, right?

And 20-30 concerts a year... fine... Come back when there are 10 events in a year that have this kind of impact.

Old 06-05-2022, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Imagine thinking that a concert that drew like 50,000-60,000 people generated $3 million in net tax revenue for the city. You might want to remath that, lol. Seriously, crunch the numbers and post them here. I think you'll see how foolish your assertion was.

The ROI has been huge so far? Based on what?

I have very little interest in whether or not the stadium turns out to be a good investment or not. I just laugh at the notion that one big time event and a bunch of events that can't even get a big crowd when tickets are given away is proof positive that everything is working fantastically and it was a no brainer of an investment.

Is the stadium "ahead" or "behind"? I don't really know. It's probably pretty close to neutral. The USFL exclusivity was a nice get that probably pushed it into the positive, but that in all likelihood is gone now, right?

And 20-30 concerts a year... fine... Come back when there are 10 events in a year that have this kind of impact.

Good grief, you're lazy. Garth Brooks alone meant $4 million in economic impact for the city of Birmingham. Hospitality taxes, sales taxes, etc. The economic impact of the USFL alone is $50 million. USFL will be back next year.

And none of that would be possible without the new stadium.

https://www.wbrc.com/video/2022/06/0...ts-birmingham/

Old 11-07-2023, 04:04 PM

903 posts, read 830,217 times
Protective Stadium is off to a successful start!

https://abc3340.com/news/local/prote...lege-football#

Old 11-07-2023, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotLuv4Bham View Post

did you read the article? despite promises from people like you of big time attendance growth because the games would be at Protective instead of Legion Field, the attendance numbers are basically unchanged.

Old 11-08-2023, 09:07 AM

1,017 posts, read 637,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotLuv4Bham View Post

I found this to be quite reassuring:

"Projections for Protective Stadium were 12-15 events per year. Actual events have been significantly higher in the 35 to 40 range according to Snider.

"We're exceeding all those original projections by more than double," said Snider."

And even better because there are places to eat and Top Golf within walking distance when those events let out. Win win all around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area