Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2022, 10:15 AM

670 posts, read 522,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trying914 View Post
Very good question I suppose....what would be say 3 good reasons??
3 good reasons to choose Birmingham over Nashville? I was saying there are many more reasons to choose Nashville OVER Birmingham but I can come up with 3 good reasons I suppose:

1. Less stressful with less traffic for those people who like a slower pace and more easy-living environment. Perhaps people in their 50s+ who don't care about the latest, greatest, or fanciest of most things. That only applies to people living close to downtown though. Many people have moved down 280 or 31 and it could easily still take an hour to get downtown or to Whole Foods or the nice stuff. Whereas, Nashville will have more nice stuff within closer proximity maybe - kinda - depending on alot obviously. Maybe this one is a moot point idk.

2. Family. Often family is unwilling to move and if you want to be near them, you might choose to live in Bham over Nashville.

3. You run a small company and found your niche in Bham with less competition moving in allowing you to potentially "do better".

I guess those are 3 good reasons to choose Bham over Nashville.

But those don't really matter. We're normally talking about or desiring young professionals. When you can get THAT crowd to choose your city, you might be doing something right and they're the ones that spur future impact and promise. Retirees moving in don't help move the cool meter very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2022, 09:43 AM

2,107 posts, read 2,188,212 times
https://www.birminghamal.gov/2022/08...cial%20tippers.

On a side note, the city is providing atleast 100K new bins to each household in the city. So the city information is that there are 100K+ occupied homes within city limits. On average, let's say there are 2 individuals per home (we know it probably more). That equals 200K people.

Now let's add in the people that lives in apartments, lofts, condos, and townhomes within city limits (They are not getting the new bins, as most have trash dumpsters on their property). Just within the downtown vicinity (5 mins radius), there are close to 9K total units currently. I will guess the total for the rest of the city limits is close to 10K units. Together, that's 19K (let's say, 1.5 per unit). Then add in UAB, BSC and Lawson St. on campus population.

EDIT: One bin per home. If you need additional bins, the resident will have to purchase it.

Old 08-25-2022, 10:20 AM

1,027 posts, read 652,312 times
Ahhh, you can't use logical deductive reasoning to figure out Birmingham's population number. That's not how Trump's hamstrung census department operated. It's best just to set those areas up that don't vote for your party as being completely hazardous zones devoid of life so you can then claim voter fraud when their numbers come in at a later date.

Remember kids, if you lose... they cheated.

Old 08-25-2022, 01:25 PM

548 posts, read 566,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post
https://www.birminghamal.gov/2022/08...cial%20tippers.

On a side note, the city is providing atleast 100K new bins to each household in the city. So the city information is that there are 100K+ occupied homes within city limits. On average, let's say there are 2 individuals per home (we know it probably more). That equals 200K people.

Now let's add in the people that lives in apartments, lofts, condos, and townhomes within city limits (They are not getting the new bins, as most have trash dumpsters on their property). Just within the downtown vicinity (5 mins radius), there are close to 9K total units currently. I will guess the total for the rest of the city limits is close to 10K units. Together, that's 19K (let's say, 1.5 per unit). Then add in UAB, BSC and Lawson St. on campus population.

EDIT: One bin per home. If you need additional bins, the resident will have to purchase it.
I'm not sure it would strictly be households in city lines. Some of the more isolated parts of the city proper might include non-city households in order to get enough peeps in an area to economically justify service. The Birmingham city limits in the OTM areas are primarily commercial (Grandview Medical Center, the Summit, Target area, Colonnade Office Park and Shopping Center, Birmingham Zoo/Botanical Gardens, etc) and water supply/nature areas to preserve clean water. I could see providing service to places like Brook Highland in order to get trash service to the few houses near Lake Purdy. If I remember right, the school situation for these areas were a bit weird in 2000s.

While I do think official numbers are probably notably off, this isn't a good argument for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBankhead View Post
Ahhh, you can't use logical deductive reasoning to figure out Birmingham's population number. That's not how Trump's hamstrung census department operated. It's best just to set those areas up that don't vote for your party as being completely hazardous zones devoid of life so you can then claim voter fraud when their numbers come in at a later date.

Dude, it's not a Trump thing. The numbers are in line are much smaller than the drop for 2010. While Railroad Park was a big changer, it was more a building momentum. The Civil Rights Institute, Five Points and McWane were pre-Three Park Initiative and were bringing more reasons to go downtown (As much as downtown is better now than the 2000s, downtown was also noticeably better in the 2000s than the 90s). Yes, the politicians were pretty bad at the time, but not enough to cause 30k migration. While I doubt it would've necessarily stopped the bleeding, I wouldn't have thought the population drop in Bham proper in 2000-2010 would be more than 1990-2000. I honestly think the end of landlines and people's growing unwillingness to answer polls/surveys has really hurt the Census Bureau's ability to accurately count people. I'd suggest that people looking to hate Trump just exposed an issue that had already been there for a while, but were now more willing to not just blindly trust those numbers.

Old 08-25-2022, 01:44 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,250,721 times
also, the census bureau lists 91,568 households in the city (that includes single family homes, apartments, condos, etc).

besides, it makes sense that the city would order extra trash bins.

i'm not saying the 2020 census estimate is accurate... i have no idea. but i don't think we can use number of trash cans purchased by the city as an indicator of population. yes, it's a ballpark figure, but there are too many variables to use it beyond that.

Old 08-25-2022, 02:41 PM

2,107 posts, read 2,188,212 times
REV Birmingham recently revealed that atleast 5 more business are going to be opening up in the Woodlawn neighborhood this year.

https://www.wvtm13.com/article/woodl...ores/40972102#

Old 08-25-2022, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
also, the census bureau lists 91,568 households in the city (that includes single family homes, apartments, condos, etc).
Okay so that number times 2.5 to 2.6. Seems reasonable.

Old 08-25-2022, 03:30 PM

13,086 posts, read 9,626,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post

besides, it makes sense that the city would order extra trash bins.

i'm not saying the 2020 census estimate is accurate... i have no idea. but i don't think we can use number of trash cans purchased by the city as an indicator of population. yes, it's a ballpark figure, but there are too many variables to use it beyond that.
A slight correction - 2020 was an actual count. The first estimate has a data date of July 2021, released in May 2022. Estimates will continue annually based on the 2020 count.

Whether the 2020 count was accurate is open for debate. The Census Bureau has said there were undercounts and overcounts; how they arrived at that conclusion is beyond me. Why not publish what they are convinced are the actual numbers if that's the case?

Old 08-25-2022, 03:42 PM

3,263 posts, read 3,787,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBankhead View Post

LMAO @ thinking the number of trash bins a city orders is a better indicator of population than a census.

And do you see the irony in your final sentence? Birmingham lost residents so the only possible explanation is the count was wrong. The jokes really write themselves.

We have a world class medical facility on our south side.

Last edited by Yac; 08-31-2022 at 10:05 PM..

Old 08-25-2022, 03:48 PM

Number of households 2020
Birmingham 91,598
Huntsville 86,961
Montgomery 79,331
Mobile 78,089

But then I guess you have to deduct a few thousand households if there are too many Dodge Chargers in the driveways, or not enough pocket protectors or "I heart Richard Shelby" coffee mugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area