Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 05:32 AM

33 posts, read 81,629 times

Advertisements

I moved to Birmingham a little over a year ago. I live in Eagle Point and love the neighborhood. Oak Mountain schools -- only have experience with the high school, but by all indications this Shelby County school is at least satisfactory for education. There are also a number of exceptional private schools on Hwy. 119 which are convenient to the neighborhood (Briarwood Christian Academy, a Catholic school, and Indian Trail). Significantly lower property taxes than Mountain Brook -- and easier to assimilate (I've been told that Mountain Brook isn't very transplant-friendly).

Eagle Point has a neighborhood swimming pool, tennis courts and a golf course (public, so no country club membership required). Membership to the swimming & tennis club is cheap -- although I did not join. There is a big YMCA about two miles from my house on 280, and they have a year-round pool (heated and covered under a bubble in the winter; open in the summer), tennis and racquetball courts as well as wonderful indoor facilities and classes.

Eagle Point is a lovely large subdivision with primarily brick two story transitional and traditional homes built in the 90's and 2000's. Winding roads, beautifully landscaped lawns, and friendly neighbors are hallmarks here -- at least that's been my experience, moving here from SC.

Commute caveat: Driving to Birmingham proper can be a hassle -- 280 becomes extremely congested after 7 am traveling west (which is more north, but still). I leave around 6:45 and get to Birmingham by 7:20. Leaving after 7 am will result in a far more stressful, slower commute. Easy commute to Riverchase area, which is west/northwest.

Good luck!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 09:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,782 times
i'm moving from mobile alabama and i want to move to homewood, alabama in birmingham. i have a section 8 voucher and want to know is that the best place to move i have 3 lil girls 1 who is in school and 2 who are in daycar.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:41 AM

3 posts, read 3,478 times
Birmingham Dry Cleaner

Go to this site for discount dry cleaning information.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:38 PM

522 posts, read 847,316 times
Default Move to the city!

Take a look

We have some extremely nice neighborhoods in the city of Birmingham. Some that you may not think of initially like Bush Hills, The Avondales, Oxmoor, West Goldwire/Woodland Park,Huffman,etc.

Now if we can get the in between areas to join the club, we can have a completely desireable city.

Birmingham - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/46963090@N03/sets/72157623675753528/with/4570739647/ - broken link)

Come home to the city!!!

Old 04-09-2011, 08:09 PM

4 posts, read 6,566 times
Thanks, helpful links

Old 05-25-2011, 01:23 AM

2 posts, read 9,478 times
Mountain Brook would be my choice.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,907 times
Thumbs up Something new and good in the Birmingham area

Hey guys, I just saw this new deals site like Groupon just for Birmingham… today they have MiBella Wellness 2 Lipo B-12 injections and Physician-directed Weight Loss consult at more than half off. They were selling Fish Markets certificates cheap last week also. Pretty cool! [URL]http://www.dealsonbirmingham.com[/URL]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area