Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 03:17 PM

50 posts, read 164,212 times

Advertisements

What do you think Boise will be like in the next 5 years and 10 years. Where do you think our population will stand, Any fortune 500 companies moving to Boise? Do you think we will see a significant increase in South Ada County commercial and residental development?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 05:38 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,685,835 times
Next 5 years - pretty good. The same as what it is now. I think there will be few companies moving in here, and maybe even a few moving out... and by that I mean headquarters or major centers of industry.

But it was necessary. This city absolutely needed a moratorium on growth. We need to figure out how to grow and do business sustainably, instead of the constant "house of cards" markets established here.

Commercial development will stall, for the most part, simply because the supply is so high and because there is actually a few projects going on now (or soon to start) that will satisfy supply. Residential development is actually doing okay, considering...

In 10 years we may find ourselves back to where we were in 2007.... a heap of trouble looming on the horizon.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:42 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,684,826 times
Boise is poised for tremendous growth, but the recession has slowed a lot of it. There is a downtown hole that was supposed to be a high-rise, and there is renewed interest in building it out. Time will tell, but a new structure there is now likely, atleast 80-20 odds.

The economy will be the real railroad here. If things get back on track, Boise will benefit by being a mid-sized city that welcomes growth, with few economic limitations. If the city continues to offer incentives to growth, as they should, then there is unlimited opportunity, with many companies moving (or startups), moving into the area. The area still has a lower cost of living than most, and is desirable to most in business and for those looking for a better place to live. Boise, and Idaho in general are in good shape to take advantage of any renewal in our economy.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:12 AM

239 posts, read 618,642 times
I just hope it doesnt grow like San Jose CA did. I grew up there. It was a nice place to grow up, small local owned businesses, city was fairly clean, you knew what side of town not to go to, airport was respectable size and easy to navigate....Then Silicon Valley happened. I mean growth is good and no doubt it was a tremendous boon for San Jose's fiscal, however the quality of living has declined beyond belief. The "exotic" grocery store where you would go to find fresh produce and fish you couldnt normally find at the Albertsons has since closed. The other grocery store "chain" I think there were 5 of them, has recently closed its last store.
Now the "bad" side of town is spread throughout the entire city. Sure there are still the areas that have the mini mansions and luxury cars. But the rents and homes in the entire city are absolutely ridiculous.
With all the new growth so many people have moved to SJ from other countries that now it seems about 1 in 4 dont speak english. I find that the average person waiting in line with you doesnt want to exchange friendly banter. The diversity has driven people apart. Instead of everyone existing together and supporting the city, people have gravitated to their own ethnic groups and dont seem to socialize much outside that circle. Also instead of embracing U.S. culture they dont even bother to learn english.
Sorry, Im rambling, Im just trying to get my point across that sometimes having a clean friendly medium sized city is so much better than growth. After all when it comes down to it money isnt everything,
BTW, I am moving to Boise next month....715 for a 2 br apt, versus my studio apt in San Jose for $1100/month.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:06 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,685,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Boise is poised for tremendous growth, but the recession has slowed a lot of it. There is a downtown hole that was supposed to be a high-rise, and there is renewed interest in building it out. Time will tell, but a new structure there is now likely, atleast 80-20 odds.

The economy will be the real railroad here. If things get back on track, Boise will benefit by being a mid-sized city that welcomes growth, with few economic limitations. If the city continues to offer incentives to growth, as they should, then there is unlimited opportunity, with many companies moving (or startups), moving into the area. The area still has a lower cost of living than most, and is desirable to most in business and for those looking for a better place to live. Boise, and Idaho in general are in good shape to take advantage of any renewal in our economy.
Why should Boise offer incentives for companies moving in? So we offer incentives, they use the incentives, demand more, and then hold us hostage for those and more until they finally move on to somewhere else offering better incentives?

Or worse, and more particular for us, they come in, use and abuse our natural resources, circumvent regulations through political chicanery, hold us hostage by dangling "jobs" in front of our noses, and then move on anyway.

Nah. Not interested.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:20 PM

3,825 posts, read 9,497,695 times
As long as the Boise airport remains a great way to get out of town we will still attract a lot of senior executives and high powered sales reps who can telecommute. Personally know at least 10+ guys who live in Boise who 10-15 years ago would have been tethered to a corporate office in California or the midwest. With easy access to an airport and a smart phone these guys can live anywhere and have chosen Boise.

Only big problem I see with Boise is logistics. I'm starting to see many of my suppliers that don't carry what they used to in their local warehouses and I have to wait 3-4 days to get them from SLC, Las Vegas or Portland. Boise is the most isolated metropolitan area in the country and super high gas prices could have a negative impact on the ability to get goods right away.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:58 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,684,826 times
Most who experience Boise like it. There will always be a few that have issues. One has popped up here, so be it. (Frankly this poster has no explanation, would prefer a PM, if you feel so strongly, why not post it here?).

Boise is a true "gem" (sorry), and is well positioned to come out of the recession glowing.

Last edited by pw72; 03-06-2012 at 07:23 PM..

Old 03-07-2012, 12:22 AM

50 posts, read 164,212 times
I think Boise is a hot bed for many fields. We are slowly getting there. We have a law school, medical research is becoming more established, huge expansions of both St. Luke's downtown and St. Luke's West, forune 500 company's looking at moving here, the possibility of China establishing a company south of the Airport. We have so much room in Ada County to grow, especially south.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:20 AM

623 posts, read 1,615,194 times
When someone throws out an opinion on this forum that jumps out as being out of the ordinary or curious or compelling, it's helpful to look at that poster's other posts. Check out that person's world view and see if it matches with your own and then decide how much weight to give that post.

As far as Boise's future, I can tell you that in my experience as a real estate agent in the valley, we are drawing huge numbers of retirees here from around the country. My guess is that leisure, restaurants, retail and healthcare will all be growing sectors in our economy. These retirees are younger, very active and smart savers who are paying cash for homes and making a conscious choice to live in Boise.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:19 PM

89 posts, read 252,106 times
I say good riddance to O Duckey..make room for my family!!!!!

Everything or every place is going to have pros and cons...as I see it, Boise isn't for everyone...but neither is Myrtle Beach, South Carolina...unfortunately where I ended up..argh!

So, I am biding my time and waiting patiently until I move to Boise...it will happen...might be postponed right now but it will happen!!!

By the way, I say "thank you" to some of the folks here that give just the best advice and non-judgmental also about Boise...you are my fans!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: