Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 04:28 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,835,426 times

Advertisements

As a retired cop from SoCal, I can tell you that rapes and sexual assaults in SoCal go badly underreported. And as a cop who was often frustrated with the "decline to file" notices we'd receive from the D.A.'s office, I can tell you that when we DO get the prosecutors to file, it's often filed as a lower charge, even before a plea deal is offered.

Sexual assaults that get people 5-8 years here in Idaho would either be non-reported, or maybe get someone 9 months for misdemeanor sexual battery in the choked/broken justice system in California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2023, 09:32 AM

1 posts, read 541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
Boise's rape problem ain't nothing compared to these cities....

Rapes per 100K
1. Springfield, MO 172.3
2. Pueblo, CO 152.7
3. Anchorage, AK 136.2
4. Lansing, MI 111.5
5. Amarillo, TX 108.9
6. Salt Lake City, UT 107.2
7. Cleveland, OH 107.1
8. St Louis, MO 104.5
9. Minneapolis, MN 97.2
10. Rockford, IL 96.5
While I know this is resurrecting a post I can't help it. Milk aged better than this post. Keep it classy Idaho

Old 09-01-2023, 10:44 AM

1,943 posts, read 2,294,075 times
well ouch Pueblo !

Old 09-02-2023, 11:12 AM

818 posts, read 1,066,796 times
I concur with others that have stated more are reported here verses other cities/states where the victim doesn't even bother to report it. Years ago, I sold a home to a family because of a murder in the newspaper. It turns out in their (previous) home town, they had murders daily and it took us till August to have our first one that year.

Be careful with raw stats because I am pretty sure crime in some cities is going down (statistically) since they don't even confront shoplifters, let alone prosecute them.

I love it here! Thank you to our police that are allowed to press charges and enforce the laws.

Old 09-02-2023, 03:21 PM

1,037 posts, read 678,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Rapes are reported more in Idaho cities than in other states.
The lack of reportage tends to skew stats downward, often giving false numbers.

And since more rapes are reported, more rapists here are convicted. The ones you need to worry about are the rapists that haven't been caught.
I agree.

Let's assume for a second that two similar sized cities have 100 rapes each. If 50 of the rapes are reported in City A, and only 25 are reported in City B, then it will seem like City A has more rapes than City B.

When determining the safety of a city, I always look at murder rate. The reason being is that murders almost always go reported, whether or not they find out who did it.

In most cases, rape requires the victim to report the crime so it often depends more on the trust the public has of the authorities that guides their decision. A city with a high rape rate might actually have an excellent police force that the public trusts to help solve their crime, so victims feel more confident in coming forward.

That being said, Boise might actually have a high rape rate. It's hard to tell without looking more deeply into the data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area