Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2020, 12:58 PM

26,431 posts, read 46,631,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
I remember the 90's and the great migration from CA to Washington state well. I had in-laws move up to Whatcom Co. up by the Canadian border. That was a real nice place. I went up there and stayed there. Rural and nice. I was going to move there years ago after planning retirement. But now everyone is leaving that place. Also the prices have gone sky high and the laws have become as bad as CA laws.

Things are always constantly changing. I wish we could find someplace that didn't.
Bellingham has absurdly expensive housing prices with mediocre median household income levels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2020, 01:18 PM

5,587 posts, read 5,029,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Bellingham has absurdly expensive housing prices with mediocre median household income levels.
bELLINGHAM WAS fine back in the early 90's. Now?

Old 07-15-2020, 07:58 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,905,541 times
Buyers make offers sight unseen within minutes as Boise-area home market defies virus

Read more here: https://www.idahostatesman.com/#storylink=cpy

Old 07-15-2020, 09:15 AM

3,206 posts, read 2,491,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
I remember the 90's and the great migration from CA to Washington state well. I had in-laws move up to Whatcom Co. up by the Canadian border. That was a real nice place. I went up there and stayed there. Rural and nice. I was going to move there years ago after planning retirement. But now everyone is leaving that place. Also the prices have gone sky high and the laws have become as bad as CA laws.

Things are always constantly changing. I wish we could find someplace that didn't.
As a life long resident if Whatcom county, I wish this was true. But, no one is leaving. The opposite is true. They continue to move here in droves. Retirees, climate refugees, WFH people, outdoor types looking for cheap rent, etc. Yes, RE prices continue to climb and, yes, our laws are becoming more restrictive and politics more to the left.

Old 07-15-2020, 02:09 PM

5,587 posts, read 5,029,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
As a life long resident if Whatcom county, I wish this was true. But, no one is leaving. The opposite is true. They continue to move here in droves. Retirees, climate refugees, WFH people, outdoor types looking for cheap rent, etc. Yes, RE prices continue to climb and, yes, our laws are becoming more restrictive and politics more to the left.
That's the problem. The prices continue to rise, laws become more restrictive and the politics go south because of the left.
So what are the single family homes going for now in Whatcom County? Rural areas like Custer?

Old 07-16-2020, 08:05 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,477,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Buyers make offers sight unseen within minutes as Boise-area home market defies virus
One aspect of this type of thing its that the contracts have been changing over the years to include more generous due diligence terms to the buyers. Though earnest money is still required, the buyers have some period of time to have the house inspected and everything examined, and can still back out of the contract up to the end date of the due diligence period and get their earnest money all back. So the risk to buyers is much lower to do this than it was some years ago.

BTW, this type of price pressure is in many places as the 'double V effect' (virus and violence) drives folks to flee the big urban areas. Posting/reading in the Maine subforum has the same thing happening there with people jumping on houses very quickly, paying premium prices, and signing contracts sight-unseen. Inventory is down there as well. Watching prices in several local markets around ID/MT/WY/ME shows that they are all going bonkers right now. (I am switching to a holding pattern for now and shifting back to a 'build' plan.)

Old 07-16-2020, 10:55 AM

47 posts, read 54,466 times
Default It Starts: Mortgage Delinquencies Suddenly Soar at Record Pace

https://wolfstreet.com/2020/07/14/it...t-record-pace/

Old 07-16-2020, 10:58 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,905,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalbabe208 View Post
You seem to enjoy the thought of the nations housing market collapsing based on your posts.
Do you own, is your mortgage ok? What is your connection to Boise or Idaho?

Old 07-16-2020, 11:02 AM

47 posts, read 54,466 times
Syringa: Did you even read the article? Are you a realtor? Look, everyone needs to eat, including realtors. I get that. But we need to realize the idea that "housing always goes up" is just a myth promoted by the real estate bizness.

Last edited by Socalbabe208; 07-16-2020 at 11:29 AM..

Old 07-16-2020, 03:39 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,477,582 times
Worthwhile article; thanks very much. But, IMHO, it needs some careful interpretation and perspective. The large spike in early stage delinquencies only will become a significant factor if it turns into a long term problem. 30-59 day delinquencies being higher than the same rise back in 2008 is not significant if this turns out to be just a transient situation; we are yet to learn this and see what happens with long term employment of homeowners. What we don't have now, like what we DID have in 2008, is a huge number of mortgagors who never should have been mortgagors in the first place.

And like in 2008, the impacts will be locality specific, and will vary hugely. In the last recession, some of the western markets and vacation markets got hit much, much harder than the overall eastern markets, and the Washington DC market hardly got touched at all. So the Boise situation may not budge down much at all for pricing if the demand to 'get out of Dodge' stays up.

The detailed CoreLogic Housing Price Insight report predicts a 6.6% average US price drop for the 12 months, but that varies widely from -20% to only -1.3% for individual markets that have shown strong price growth in the last year. They do indicate that Boise is overvalued (by at least 10% per their definition of 'overvalued'), and it is not in their top 10 increasing markets.

FWIW, I would expect this type of report to be somewhat 'unstable' (changing directions rapidly), with the various pressures on prices and people moving, etc. It is pretty clear that Boise is a destination city right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: