Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2020, 03:44 PM

213 posts, read 343,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
$350,000 TO $450,000?

Yeah, for the newer builds and a lot stuff with over 2,000 SF.

If you're minimalist and can make do with 1 or 2 bedrooms around 1,000 SF, you could find something for about $200k on a smaller lot.

Think about all those people who bought a house 10 years ago for $100k or less. Those homes are nearing $300k in value now... why not go for a little upgrade?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2020, 04:04 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,022,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflowersinthegarden View Post
Yeah, for the newer builds and a lot stuff with over 2,000 SF.

If you're minimalist and can make do with 1 or 2 bedrooms around 1,000 SF, you could find something for about $200k on a smaller lot.

Think about all those people who bought a house 10 years ago for $100k or less. Those homes are nearing $300k in value now... why not go for a little upgrade?
I go for 3 bd. 2 bath 2+ attached car garage, air cond. built between 2005 to 2020 with up to 1 acre of land.

Old 09-13-2020, 08:30 PM

117 posts, read 93,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflowersinthegarden View Post
Yep, you gotta jump on whatever you think will work.

If you already lived in Treasure Valley and had time on your side, I'd be looking everyday, saving the houses you like (to get an idea how quickly they sell), and going to every open house you can.

That was my own formula, and I had my mom and brother come with me to the open houses so I could have a less biased view. So when we were under a crunch to get out of rental by the end of the lease, we were able to confidently jump on the first house that met our criteria. And yes, we put in our offer less than 24 hours after the house was listed.

I realize that we sound like one of those "fled our state, buying any house we can" type... but there was actually 4 years of research and living here behind it.
>> If you already lived in Treasure Valley and had time on your side

I think that's the key for me, is to not try to look for a house purchase as the first place to live, when I move back to Treasure Valley from FL ( lived there in 2016-19 but foolishly moved out for bad reasons ).

I think it's going to be way better to get situated as a resident all over again, and be there in person, with the ability to rush over to open houses from a local apartment.

Did you use a particular web site, or did you use a realtor. I'm guessing the former, since you didn't mention a realtor.

Old 09-15-2020, 08:28 AM

99 posts, read 56,399 times
Spoke to my agent last night, who lives in Boise, and he said that there were 600+ single family homes sold in Idaho in August. As of last night, the inventory is just over 200 single family homes. Crrrrazzzyy!

Old 09-15-2020, 08:43 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,361,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalbabe208 View Post
Wrong. Subprime did not go away; it is back and supercharged with government approval! FHA/VA/USDA and Idaho Housing assistance are subprime by definition. Fannie and Freddie are into subprime now also with 97% LTV. And someone "rolling over equity" into another house had their previous house bought by a subprime borrower, so they are indirectly beneficiaries of subprime lending.

https://singlefamily.fanniemae.com/o...-value-options
That link doesn't specifically say government--banked mortgage financing involves "sub-prime". Where does it say you can have a credit score below 620? In certain states, like Texas, state law won't allow more liberal terms because of homestead exemption and bankruptcy standards.

Old 09-15-2020, 07:36 PM

213 posts, read 343,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveburbank View Post
Did you use a particular web site, or did you use a realtor. I'm guessing the former, since you didn't mention a realtor.

We used the realtor that had listed the house. Very pleased with him, but I've since made connections with another realtor that I'll use instead of our last one. She's more like-minded with my own thinking.

We applied for the mortgage with ICCU on Tuesday.

Approved Wednesday.

Our house came on the market late Friday afternoon (used Zillow to find it).

Saw the house Saturday, made an offer later that day at the realtor's office.

Offer accepted Monday, and we had the keys about 45 days later. (Owners asked for extra time, so they could find a house.)

Old 09-15-2020, 07:56 PM

117 posts, read 93,242 times
Very nice, thanks. That reminds me to start transferring my money back to ICCU from my current CU.

Old 10-14-2020, 11:00 AM

1,951 posts, read 2,301,928 times
any where that was once affordable in the west is not going to be affordable in the future , remember when Austin , Colorado Springs, were affordable and ( NOT KEWL or Hip ) or whatever , now they said in 2018 that Tucson was a Hipster hot spot , in 2017 they said Albuquerque would be the next Portland, But Boise is the place that has been " discovered " The Cool places like Portland , Seattle , San Francisco are not cool anymore so lets all move to Boise ! hey its like the Denver metro from 1975-85 but the average person wont be able to afford it in the near future . ( there are no more houses anywhere in the west that are under 250K that a middle class person would want to live in in any area that is middle class in any medium size city )If you cant afford CA, Portland, Denver, Seattle , then move to Boise ! but hurry time is running out.
you can still find a god deal in Witchita Falls , TX or Pueblo ,Co quick lets all move there ! but who wants to be hip,or retire there ?

Old 10-14-2020, 11:33 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
And prices will continue to go up as long as so many people love to get online and trumpet "Come on down! It is beautiful! People are friendly! Prices as so much lower than where you are moving from! We love it here! You will love it here!"

Old 10-14-2020, 03:11 PM

47 posts, read 54,453 times
Do I have a beauty for you! But you better act quick! A tad more than a quarter million buckaroos gets you a 3 bed/1 bath 1,000 sq ft. shack built in 1962! And it only needs a little work like mold remediation, new roof, new furnace and new drywall! Quick, you better act now before someone from out of state snatches up this bargain! Nestled off of Pierce Park Rd, this home has only hosted 2 meth labs in its past! Offers are pending, put yours in over the asking price in the next 5 minutes or it will be gone!

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...79596865_zpid/

LULZ. That is my best realtor impersonation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: