Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 11:03 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,478,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelie View Post
So I'm guessing it's not always sunny in Philadelphia...
One thing to know about the east coast, east of the Appalachians... there is pretty regular change between sunny to cloudy..... the Atlantic weather systems seem to keep the weather changing pretty regularly in the east coast region. There are a few spots like coastal Maine that get more cloud and fog, but the rest has regular sunniness. The days I do not like are the cold, damp days.... that will be a lot less in most of the northern Rockies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2020, 03:40 PM

840 posts, read 695,358 times
Our rain has been so bad here its a chore to keep up with erosion issues in my yard, I could use a little dry climate. I'm going to try to fly out there with the wife in the next few months to get a better feel. I spent a long weekend there a few years back and did some white water rafting and just loved the overall feel of the state

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceyhot View Post
I'm from Western WA (mild and wet) but moved here from Central MT (long, cold, windy, snowy winters) and I immediately felt a huge difference in winter weather. Philly isn't nearly as bad as the Northern Rockies/Plains but you'll still experience a pleasant difference. Over all weather will also be a big upgrade if you can handle low humidity and little rain in the warmer months. Personally, I would prefer more rain but I know I can't be too picky.

Old 10-07-2020, 02:16 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,678,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
Thanks, I'm not really concerned with militia issues, it seems like they like to exercise their rights (as they see it I suppose) but arent usually violent like what has been going on in Seattle and Portland,
That's how I see it too.

Old 10-08-2020, 10:00 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,905,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
Thanks, I'm not really concerned with militia issues, it seems like they like to exercise their rights (as they see it I suppose) but arent usually violent like what has been going on in Seattle and Portland,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
That's how I see it too.
The same groups exist in Seattle and Portland as well and are prevalent in Portland.

It is not common at all to see these type of people showing up at the capitol and in the city of Boise, it is actually rare. This year they have been "fired up" because of the obvious political mess the USA is in right now.

Old 10-08-2020, 10:29 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,678,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
The same groups exist in Seattle and Portland as well and are prevalent in Portland.

It is not common at all to see these type of people showing up at the capitol and in the city of Boise, it is actually rare. This year they have been "fired up" because of the obvious political mess the USA is in right now.
I know when you get away from the cities, you are more likely to interact with these groups or people.

They don't cause much trouble, really.

As you have said, we are seeing more of them because of the turmoil, as of late. All they did, though, was come out and have a parade. The exception was the so-called "counter protesters" wingnuts that came out and harass the those holding a vigil for George Floyd. There were decent counter protesters there who wanted to show support for the police but ended up getting lumped in with the one's who were there to stir up trouble.

Old 10-09-2020, 01:42 PM

32,668 posts, read 48,116,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosherry View Post
........ They show up to the capitol with their guns and it's scary.

If the sight of a gun being carried around gives you heart palpitations, don't move to Idaho. Pick a more "progressive" state where the Constitution has less value and move to where you can feel safer.

Old 10-09-2020, 02:09 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,905,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If the sight of a gun being carried around gives you heart palpitations, don't move to Idaho. Pick a more "progressive" state where the Constitution has less value and move to where you can feel safer.
Actually, toting a gun in view in Boise is somewhat taboo.

The cult of Bundy who showed up at the statehouse with their guns in full view were only doing so to show off and attempt to intimidate and instead looked and acted like fools and pushed a cop and broke a glass door.

Those types should stick to the hinterlands of the state and stay out of Boise.

Old 10-09-2020, 11:18 PM

127 posts, read 140,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

I was responding to OP's comment about extremists, to which I responded that there are right-wing extremist militias in Idaho which is important information to know about this state before making a decision about relocating here.

Old 10-10-2020, 06:06 AM

2,173 posts, read 4,413,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosherry View Post
I was responding to OP's comment about extremists, to which I responded that there are right-wing extremist militias in Idaho which is important information to know about this state before making a decision about relocating here.
I'd be a lot less worried about the so called "right winged militias" ID than the daily shootings and robberies every single day by thugs in Philly where the OP is coming from.

-Armed robberies and shootings from thugs in Philly annually: THOUSANDS
-Violence from so called "right wing militias" in Boise annually: ZERO

Also, I know there were millions of dollars in losses to the City of Philly due to the lawless rioting and looting in Philly this summer where police cars were burned. How much of that happened in Boise? ZERO.

Old 10-10-2020, 02:23 PM

127 posts, read 140,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
I'd be a lot less worried about the so called "right winged militias" ID than the daily shootings and robberies every single day by thugs in Philly where the OP is coming from.

-Armed robberies and shootings from thugs in Philly annually: THOUSANDS
-Violence from so called "right wing militias" in Boise annually: ZERO

Also, I know there were millions of dollars in losses to the City of Philly due to the lawless rioting and looting in Philly this summer where police cars were burned. How much of that happened in Boise? ZERO.
I would agree that crime statistics are an important factor. But also consider the fact that Idaho has one of the lowest physicians per capita in the nation. With Idaho becoming a haven for retirees, I don't think the state is going to be able to keep up with the burden of an increasingly aging population. Philadelphia has one of the highest physicians per capita. Access to a primary care physician is a predictor for longevity. Between Philadelphia and the neighboring cities of Baltimore, DC, access to top medical care is high.

Another concern would be that the largest nuclear testing site in the country is only a couple of hours from Boise. "Throughout its history, the U.S. nuclear laboratory at Idaho Falls (presently known as the Idaho National Laboratory or “INL”) has been home to 52 nuclear reactors, the largest concentration of nuclear reactors in the world."

I enjoy my life in Boise but these are things that make second guess our decision about moving our family here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area