Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2020, 08:49 AM

840 posts, read 693,815 times

Advertisements

Looking for anyone who has made this move, how is weather difference ? general attitudes etc-. I'm a political moderate (lean Republican) and find unless I'm far left that my stance doesnt seem to be a good fit here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2020, 12:05 PM

131 posts, read 197,730 times
I lived in the Philly area for nearly 8 years (2006-2014) and was never so glad to leave a place in my life.

The weather difference will be a dramatic improvement for you. Low humidity, blue skies, all 4 seasons, but milder in all aspects. And none of those nasty cicadas!

The general attitude change will be like night and day for you. Open, friendly, smiling people out here vs. rude, stand-offish, selfish people out there.

When we moved here, it felt like freedom. Freedom from oppressive taxes and regulations. For example, just moving we instantly saved the tax for the “privilege” of working in Philly, the enormous taxes on our home, township taxes (there are no townships in Idaho), and the ridiculous annual car check ups which is a scam. For example, I paid $9 dollars to get my sport car emission tested, and that is only required every two years. My auto insurance went down by 60%!

So just make the move, you will not regret it.

Old 10-03-2020, 01:31 PM

Thanks very much, How bad are the winters out there compared to Philly ? It looks like you guys get abou 1/4 the rain that we get here (when I moved to Philly I never imagined how rainy it would be).

What I've noticed here is it seems like there are two polar opposites politically. Either extreme right or left, because of the sports I enjoy (mountain biking) my group of fellow riders are nearly all very left and cant even see a moderate view. This has frustrated me as that I feel like I'm very balanced and I'm so tired of getting anti Trump (or Republican for that matter) beaten down my throat. That being said I'm not what you would call a huge Trump guy, but I like him better than the other one and even the hint of that with many folks out here is grounds for a major arguement. I'm simply sick of that and the rude east coast ways but I didnt want to move without getting some background on the area first.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbsgrrl View Post
I lived in the Philly area for nearly 8 years (2006-2014) and was never so glad to leave a place in my life.

The weather difference will be a dramatic improvement for you. Low humidity, blue skies, all 4 seasons, but milder in all aspects. And none of those nasty cicadas!

The general attitude change will be like night and day for you. Open, friendly, smiling people out here vs. rude, stand-offish, selfish people out there.

When we moved here, it felt like freedom. Freedom from oppressive taxes and regulations. For example, just moving we instantly saved the tax for the “privilege” of working in Philly, the enormous taxes on our home, township taxes (there are no townships in Idaho), and the ridiculous annual car check ups which is a scam. For example, I paid $9 dollars to get my sport car emission tested, and that is only required every two years. My auto insurance went down by 60%!

So just make the move, you will not regret it.

Old 10-03-2020, 05:01 PM

131 posts, read 197,730 times
The winters are much less of an issue here. Typically if we get any snow in the valley, it happens overnight, where we get a skiff to an inch or two, which melts off by mid-day. The winter of 2016 into 2017 was an exception where we got lots of snow, so it can happen but its rare. I know what you mean about rain. When it rains in the mid-Atlantic area, it RAINS, but that’s why all the grass and trees are so pretty. Here, we are considered high mountain desert, so unless you water something its brown.

Lots of mountain biking around the foothills of Boise, and a lot of bike commuters as well that bike year-round. Great biking organizations like Boise Bicycle Project, Goat Head Fest, SW Idaho MTB club (will send you a link) Great green belt and paths and the city of Boise has lots of bike lanes. Can’t say as I know the politics of those people but Boise leans left more than right but I’d guess that most people are somewhere in the middle. Usually too busy having fun biking, enjoying beautiful parks, great breweries and outdoor eating venues to worry that much about politics. I think this year is an exception out of most.

Old 10-03-2020, 08:07 PM

Thanks again, my wife is originally from southern California so very happy to hear that the winters wouldnt be worse than PA, we actually moved from Michigan after I retired in part to get away from all the snow. I couldnt bare to live in a southern state though fearing it would be too hot in the summer

Old 10-03-2020, 08:14 PM

10 posts, read 4,403 times
So I'm guessing it's not always sunny in Philadelphia...

Old 10-04-2020, 03:06 PM

127 posts, read 140,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
What I've noticed here is it seems like there are two polar opposites politically. Either extreme right or left,
There are extremes here too. Be aware that Idaho does have an extreme sect of armed militia. They show up to the capitol with their guns and it's scary.

Old 10-05-2020, 04:24 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,675,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosherry View Post
There are extremes here too. Be aware that Idaho does have an extreme sect of armed militia. They show up to the capitol with their guns and it's scary.
I don't find them scary. I think what we saw recently was a knee-jerk reaction to what was going on in many of the other cities where people have been freely rioting, looting, and blocking traffic. Boise has stayed pretty cool during this time and I think that it is due to the political diversity here.

OP: The farther you are from the city center, the more diverse it will be. If you go north of the 46th parallel, things can get really weird.

Old 10-05-2020, 06:25 PM

Thanks, I'm not really concerned with militia issues, it seems like they like to exercise their rights (as they see it I suppose) but arent usually violent like what has been going on in Seattle and Portland,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
I don't find them scary. I think what we saw recently was a knee-jerk reaction to what was going on in many of the other cities where people have been freely rioting, looting, and blocking traffic. Boise has stayed pretty cool during this time and I think that it is due to the political diversity here.

OP: The farther you are from the city center, the more diverse it will be. If you go north of the 46th parallel, things can get really weird.

Old 10-05-2020, 08:46 PM

289 posts, read 311,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
Thanks again, my wife is originally from southern California so very happy to hear that the winters wouldnt be worse than PA, we actually moved from Michigan after I retired in part to get away from all the snow. I couldnt bare to live in a southern state though fearing it would be too hot in the summer
I'm from Western WA (mild and wet) but moved here from Central MT (long, cold, windy, snowy winters) and I immediately felt a huge difference in winter weather. Philly isn't nearly as bad as the Northern Rockies/Plains but you'll still experience a pleasant difference. Over all weather will also be a big upgrade if you can handle low humidity and little rain in the warmer months. Personally, I would prefer more rain but I know I can't be too picky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area