Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 09:24 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post

I read "Catch 22" by Kurt Vonnegut and thought it was a really great book. I was very disappointed that I did not like any of the other books by him that I read.

Vonnegut didn't write Catch 22 (or was that an April Fool's joke?) That was Joseph Heller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 09:36 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
My big disappointment with an author was with Morgan Llywelyn. She wrote wonderful books of historical fiction (mostly Irish, but also about other early European and Mediterranean civilizations), pre-historical fiction, and well-researched fiction about early druids and celts.

But then she wrote this book called The Etruscans with a co-author, in 2000. I was excited--expecting well-researched historical fiction about people in Etruscan society. Nope, it was fantasy drivel. Yes, reading about the religious and mythical beliefs of early civilizations is what I like and expected, but not a fantasy story about those mythical magical beings battling each other. Ugh. It was painful. To someone who does not like the fantasy genre, it's like a root canal.

I gave up on her for a few years, but she did redeem herself later with the Greener Shore, Brendan, and other books. It's like she had a stroke in 2000 and had temporary brain damage. Or maybe the co-author wrote it, and paid her handsomely or blackmailed her, to put her name on the book.

Last edited by Tracysherm; 04-01-2015 at 09:46 AM..

Old 04-01-2015, 12:16 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I love Stephen King's early stuff (Carrie through Firestarter).

I love most of his later works (Bag of Bones through Mr. Mercedes).

There are some exceptions, but for the most part it's his middle stuff I can't stand. Supposedly that's when he was a full-on addict and drunk, so that probably explains it.
You may be right about that. In case you haven't seen Stephen King: The Rolling Stone Interview | Rolling Stone, it's an interview with SK where he talks a lot about his drug addiction.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:34 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I loved Herman Wouk's follow-up to Winds of Was, which I think was called War and Remembrance (parts I and II). I haven't read his other books, but I was contemplating getting the one he wrote about Zionists and the (re) formation of the Israeli state. I was thinking I would read it so I could understand what's going on in the region now.
It's an interesting read but it's horribly and completely Jewish biased.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:37 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Vonnegut didn't write Catch 22 (or was that an April Fool's joke?) That was Joseph Heller.
Well!!! MY BAD!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-01-2015, 06:40 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I loved Herman Wouk's "Winds of war" and then felt letdown by the rest of his books.

I really enjoyed some of James Michener's books and really did not like some of them.

I read "Catch 22" by Kurt Vonnegut and thought it was a really great book. I was very disappointed that I did not like any of the other books by him that I read.

I very much enjoyed "Huckleberry Finn" by Mark Twain and then did not like anything else he wrote except "Life on the Mississippi" which doesn't really count as it's not a novel.

Some of John Steinbeck's books are great and I loved them, some suck and I hated them.

"The Prince of Tides" by Pat Conroy is a great book, I enjoyed it very much. I did not like any other book he wrote even though, I read them all.

"Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe" was a great read and then I did not like anything else Fannie Flagg wrote.

"War and Peace" by Tolstoy is a great book. I could not even finnish any of his other books.
Agree on much of this but had to say something about War and Peace. Hated it. I did finish it but I only kept reading b/c I thought it might get better but it never did and b/c I knew I'd never pick it up again if I put it down. And then, for the first time in my life, I regretted finishing a book. LOL. I think it's b/c I really don't like battle scenes and partly b/c I had recently read another book that I thought might be like it called With Fire and Sword by Henryk Sienkiewicz, Poland's national author. That one did have battle scenes but it had a lot more besides. And then it could be the translator--I'm positive that must make a difference.

Huckleberry Finn is wonderful of course but I liked Tom Sawyer pretty well too--it's a lighter read though. Another one that he wrote that I'll bet most don't know about is Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc--it was wonderful, though due to the subject matter it wasn't nearly as amusing as most of his books. But, for that reason you may like it. (Ooh, just checked Amazon to make sure I had that title right and if you have a kindle you can get it for free there.)

Old 04-02-2015, 07:25 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Barbara Kingsolver, whose books (The Poisonwood Bible, Animal Dreams) I've loved....up until she wrote The Lacuna. I could not get past about page 50. I couldn't believe it was the same author.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:37 PM

995 posts, read 1,114,921 times
For OP: One of my favorite authors is Nelson DeMille, and I was seriously peeved with The Panther. His series with John Corey, who can be a sarcastic, cynical, wise ass, but he went completely overboard with this book. It was a fling-against-the-wall book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Lois McMaster Bujold.

Love her science fiction with passion.
Hate her fantasy with vehemence.
Them's fightin' words...

Which fantasy series btw? I love the Chalion books, I wish she's get going on the last 2. The Sharing Knife series, hm.. I confess, not as much. I finally re-read them this winter and I liked them a lot more the second time thru.

But to keep you reading Bujold, she sold another book to Baen 2 weeks ago (already hating on the future cover) titled Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen. It's a Cordelia book, tentatively being published next Feb.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:46 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Sherman Alexie. Good Lord, I'd rather help a junior high school teacher grade papers, than to read Alexie's inane writing.

Old 04-03-2015, 01:49 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,373,551 times
Elizabeth George - I loved the first dozen or so of the Inspector Lindley stories but something happened to her writing and the next few were a real struggle and disappointment.

Preston & Childs - I'd read many of the Agent Pendergast stores as well as some of their other stuff but was completely bewildered by White Fire, the main character seemed to be a moron, doing stuff that was so stupid as to be unbelievable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books