Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2017, 10:53 AM

4,800 posts, read 2,805,300 times

Advertisements

Beyond Earth : our path to a new home in the planets / Charles P. Wohlforth and Amanda R. Hendrix, Ph.D., c2016, Pantheon Books, 629.45 WOHL

Subjects
• Manned space flight.
• Astronautics.
• Space flight -- Physiological effect.
• Space flight -- Psychological aspects.

Notes
• The way off the Earth -- How to predict the future -- The inner solar system and the problem with NASA -- A home in the outer solar system -- Building a rocket quickly -- The health barrier to deep space -- Robots in space -- Solutions for long journeys -- The psychology of space travel -- Who gets to go? -- Why move into space? -- Settling a frontier -- The step after next.
• Includes index.

Summary
• Presents a chronicle of the developments and initiatives that have transformed the idea of space colonization into an achievable goal, sharing arguments in favor of targeting Saturn's moon, Titan.
• "From a leading planetary scientist and an award-winning science writer, a propulsive account of the developments and initiatives that have transformed the dream of space colonization into something that may well be achievable. We are at the cusp of a golden age in space science, as increasingly more entrepreneurs--Elon Musk, Richard Branson, Jeff Bezos--are seduced by the commercial potential of human access to space. But Beyond Earth does not offer another wide-eyed technology fantasy: instead, it is grounded not only in the human capacity for invention and the appeal of adventure but also in the bureaucratic, political, and scientific realities that present obstacles to space travel--realities that have hampered NASA'S efforts ever since the Challenger disaster. In Beyond Earth, Charles Wohlforth and Amanda R. Hendrix offer groundbreaking research and argue persuasively that not Mars, but Titan--a moon of Saturn with a nitrogen atmosphere, a weather cycle, and an inexhaustible supply of cheap energy, where we will even be able to fly like birds in the minimal gravitational field--offers the most realistic and thrilling prospect of life without support from Earth."--Dust jacket.
Length viii, 311 pages, 8 unnumbered pages of plates : index

Excellent read. Tracks the requirements for independent life on a solar system colony – Titan best fits the bill – once we solve some medical & transportation problems. Eye-opening look @ issues in the US space program – including the lack of systematic study of long-term space flight health issues. Handy info for discussions on the US space program, what’s next in space, the prospects for long-term research, exploration & colonization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 12:56 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,256,585 times
"The House of Gucci" by Sara G. Forden

Old 10-30-2017, 12:34 PM

Default Never send to know for whom the bell tolls

Spain in our hearts : Americans in the Spanish Civil War, 1936/1939 / Adam Hochschild, c2016, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 946.081 HOCH.

Subjects
• Spain. -- Ejército Popular de la República. -- Abraham Lincoln Battalion.
• Veterans of the Abraham Lincoln Brigade.
• Americans -- Spain -- History -- 20th century.
• Spain -- History -- Civil War, 1936-1939 -- Participation, American.

Notes
• Far from home -- Chasing moneychangers from the temple -- Promised land, black wings -- "Those who do not think as we do" -- A new heaven and Earth -- "I will destroy Madrid" -- "Don't try to catch me" -- Rifles from the 1860s -- Over the mountains -- Civil War at the 'Times' -- The man who loved dictators -- Devil's bargain -- "I don't think I would write about that if I were you" -- "As good a method of getting married as any other" -- Texaco goes to war -- "In my book you'll be an American" -- "A letter to my Novia" -- "Only a few grains of sand left in the hourglass" -- At the river's edge -- A change of heart? -- Gambling for time -- The taste of tears -- Kaddish.
Summary
• A sweeping history of the Spanish Civil War, told through nine American and British characters including Hemingway and George Orwell. It was a war between fascism, communism, and democracy that preceded World War II, and a tale of idealism and a noble cause that failed.

Length
• xxi, 438 pages, 16 unnumbered pages of plates, excellent maps : index, chapter notes, bibliography

An engrossing read – Just as the Mexican American War was a warm up for the US Civil War, the Spanish Civil War was a warm up for WWII - @ least in Europe.

Old 10-30-2017, 02:03 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,874,855 times
You read such wonderful, interesting books...thanks for the in-depth reviews,
southwest88

9976057]Spain in our hearts : Americans in the Spanish Civil War, 1936/1939 / Adam Hochschild, c2016, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 946.081 HOCH.

Subjects
• Spain. -- Ejército Popular de la República. -- Abraham Lincoln Battalion.
• Veterans of the Abraham Lincoln Brigade.
• Americans -- Spain -- History -- 20th century.
• Spain -- History -- Civil War, 1936-1939 -- Participation, American.

Notes
• Far from home -- Chasing moneychangers from the temple -- Promised land, black wings -- "Those who do not think as we do" -- A new heaven and Earth -- "I will destroy Madrid" -- "Don't try to catch me" -- Rifles from the 1860s -- Over the mountains -- Civil War at the 'Times' -- The man who loved dictators -- Devil's bargain -- "I don't think I would write about that if I were you" -- "As good a method of getting married as any other" -- Texaco goes to war -- "In my book you'll be an American" -- "A letter to my Novia" -- "Only a few grains of sand left in the hourglass" -- At the river's edge -- A change of heart? -- Gambling for time -- The taste of tears -- Kaddish.
Summary
• A sweeping history of the Spanish Civil War, told through nine American and British characters including Hemingway and George Orwell. It was a war between fascism, communism, and democracy that preceded World War II, and a tale of idealism and a noble cause that failed.

Length
• xxi, 438 pages, 16 unnumbered pages of plates, excellent maps : index, chapter notes, bibliography

An engrossing read – Just as the Mexican American War was a warm up for the US Civil War, the Spanish Civil War was a warm up for WWII - @ least in Europe.[/quote]

Old 10-31-2017, 03:08 PM

Default A bridge too far - mercifully

Dark side : the inside story of how the war on terror turned into a war on American ideals / Jane Mayer, c2008, Doubleday, 973.931 Maye.

Subjects
• War on Terrorism, 2001-
• September 11 Terrorist Attacks, 2001 -- Influence.
• Military interrogation -- United States.
• War and emergency powers -- United States.
• United States -- Politics and government -- 2001-
• United States -- History -- 21st century.

Notes
• Panic -- Blame -- The warning -- Men of zeal -- Detainee 001 -- Outsourcing torture -- Inside the black sites -- The experiment -- The memo -- A deadly interrogation -- Blowback -- Cover-up.
Summary
• In the days immediately following September 11th, the most powerful people in the country were panic-stricken. Radical decisions about how to combat terrorists and strengthen national security were made in a state of chaos and fear, but the key players, Vice President Cheney and his powerful, secretive adviser David Addington, used the crisis to further a long-held agenda to enhance presidential powers to a degree never known in U.S. history, and obliterate Constitutional protections that define the very essence of the American experiment. This is a dramatic account of how the United States made terrible decisions in the pursuit of terrorists around the world--decisions that not only violated the Constitution, but also hampered the pursuit of Al Qaeda. Whatever the short-term gains, there were incalculable losses in terms of moral standing, our country's place in the world, and its sense of itself.--From publisher description.

Length
• 392 pages, [8] pages of plates : chapter notes, index, bibliography

The gang that couldn’t write policy straight. Cheney & his posse were looking for ways to aggrandize the executive’s power under Pres. W – & in 09/11, they thought they had the fulcrum they needed. They nearly succeeded, & hijacked policy in the War on Terror to an astounding degree. We’re still trying to recover.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:43 AM

23,224 posts, read 29,066,081 times
I just got done riding a wild roller coaster: Cary Grant/The Lonely Heart by Charles Higham. This is a book best read wearing a seatbelt!

I refer to him as a Monster and Jerk both! I don't think I could even watch a film with him in it now!

Really interesting, his father, in England, found a much prettier, sexy woman, than Cary's mother, and he had her committed to a lunatic asylum, so his mistress could move in. He told Cary that she had died and he didn't know she was alive until decades later!

He was a workaholic, and a cheapskate. His house in Beverly Hills was so run down that the city tried to have it condemned! Too tight with his money for a gardener, landscaper, and when the roof leaked her merely put down pails to catch the water, and he'd wear his clothes/shoes until they fell apart.

He was physically abusive to his first wife and more so with his third one, Dyan Cannon, who told a reporter that if she had stayed with him, she'd be dead-dead-dead!

On Wiki, his daughter (who rec'd half of his $80 million estate) denies he was Gay or even bisexual, denies the decades long relationship with Randolph Scott.

I'm on a movie star bio run, last week finished up with James Stewart, finished Cary Grant, and am now reading Robert Wagners memoirs.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:51 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,874,855 times
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll look for it.

I too have been on movie star bio run. Those re Clark Gable and Grace Kelly were interesting, also Jack Nicholson.

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I just got done riding a wild roller coaster: Cary Grant/The Lonely Heart by Charles Higham. This is a book best read wearing a seatbelt!

I refer to him as a Monster and Jerk both! I don't think I could even watch a film with him in it now!

Really interesting, his father, in England, found a much prettier, sexy woman, than Cary's mother, and he had her committed to a lunatic asylum, so his mistress could move in. He told Cary that she had died and he didn't know she was alive until decades later!

He was a workaholic, and a cheapskate. His house in Beverly Hills was so run down that the city tried to have it condemned! Too tight with his money for a gardener, landscaper, and when the roof leaked her merely put down pails to catch the water, and he'd wear his clothes/shoes until they fell apart.

He was physically abusive to his first wife and more so with his third one, Dyan Cannon, who told a reporter that if she had stayed with him, she'd be dead-dead-dead!

On Wiki, his daughter (who rec'd half of his $80 million estate) denies he was Gay or even bisexual, denies the decades long relationship with Randolph Scott.

I'm on a movie star bio run, last week finished up with James Stewart, finished Cary Grant, and am now reading Robert Wagners memoirs.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:28 PM

I read Star biographies differently than most as I've been steeped in Astrology for years, and my big focus is Synastry, what brought these 2 together and the resultant issues.

I have the astrological configurations of hundreds and hundreds of movie stars, all printed out in pages, so when, say, Cary Grant gets involved with Betty Hutton, for instance, I have the configurations for both of them. Moon in Capricorn meets Sun in Capricorn, happens all too frequently, that lunar attraction. I'm currently running into that with Robert Wagner and Barbara Stanwyck, their 4 year love relationship, him being 22, she being 42, Moon in Cancer meets Sun in Cancer. And then there was Liz Taylor's Moon in Scorpio and Richard Burton's Sun in Scorpio.

It makes reading these so much more interesting and challenging. And I love puzzles!

Old 11-12-2017, 05:28 PM

Default First as tragedy

The world remade : America in World War I / G.J. Meyer, 1940- , c2016, Bantam Books, 940.373 MEYE.

Subjects
• World War, 1914-1918 -- United States.

Notes
• Part one. The crooked road to war -- December 1918: Apotheosis ; Background: how it happened -- Neutrality the Wilson way ; Background: coming of age -- Quickly to the brink ; Background: the tortoise and the hare -- Many sacred principles ; Background: mystery voyage -- Marked cards and a stacked deck ; Background: choosing sides -- "A dangerous thing;;to inflame a people" ; Background: the war of words--and pictures -- Onward Christian soldiers ; Background: troublemaker -- Why ; Background: over there--the war as of April 1917 -- "A message of death" -- Part two. The price -- Taking charge ; Background: going dry -- "Skin-deep dollar patriotism" ; Background: destiny's child -- Cracking down ; Background: three faces of labor -- Welcome to France ; Background: Buffalo soldiers -- "A moblike madness" ; Background: "disgusting creatures" -- The law of selfishness ; Background: the war, too, changes -- The last roll of the iron dice ; Background: the war of the air--and of the future -- Deadlocked no more ; Background: death from a new direction -- The tide turns ; Background: eggs loaded with dynamite -- An army at last ; Background: "a soldier's soldier" -- In at the kill -- Part three. Sowing dragons' teeth -- The world the war made ; Background: lost? -- Compromise or betrayal? ; Background: strange bedfellows -- "Hell's dirtiest work" ; Background: the Palmer raids -- "The door is closed" -- Aftermath: "Now it's all over" -- Appendix: Woodrow Wilson's Program for Peace.

Summary
• "An indispensable, sharply drawn account of America's pivotal--and still controversial--intervention in World War I, enlivened by fresh insights into the key issues, events, and personalities of the period, from the New York Times bestselling author of A World Undone"-- Provided by publisher.
• "After years of bitter debate and provocations on all sides, the U.S. declaration of war on Imperial Germany on April 6, 1917, plunged the country into the savage European conflict that would destroy--and remake--the world. The World Remade is an engrossing account of America's pivotal, still controversial, intervention into WWI, encompassing the prelude to war, its conduct abroad and at home, and its aftermath; and including the tumultuous politics and seismic shifts of the era and the towering personalities of the day--a briskly paced, timely treatment of the seminal conflict of the twentieth century, which set the stage for America's emergence as a world power and the global tragedies and triumphs to come"-- Provided by publisher.

Length
• xvii, 651 pages : photos, index, sources & notes, bibliography

Wilson as political figure & human being, the Red Scare, the crushing of the Left in the US by any means that came to hand, the war on & criminalization of civil rights, dissent. Propaganda & male suffrage, women’s suffrage. The rise of J. Edgar Hoover & the beginnings of the national security state. US neutrality in the peace. Fascinating reading on the war that US history books tend to skim over – as compared to the good war. With excellent reasons of amour propre, as it turns out. Should be required reading for citizens.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:16 AM

I just finished reading Both Of Us/My Life with Farrah, by Ryan O'Neal. Excellently written book! What him and Farrah had to deal with, with their 3 drug addict children: Tatum, Griffin and Redmond. In and out of Rehab facilities, along with jail sentences. Tatum was arrested in NYC for buying crack cocaine in 2009, and John McEnroe divorced her, and being an unfit mother, he gained custody of her 3 children. The only child who had his act together, had his feet on the ground, was Patrick.

The book was printed in 2011, and I hope, by now, his 3 children finally got their act together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books