Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 07:06 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,940,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantu View Post
I wouldn't say the ocean is a big asset to the Boston - its the Atlantic, and it is gray, cold and dirty.
The ocean is an ASSET to San Francisco and San Diego. Blue, warm and beautiful.

Hilarious stuff overall.

But this puts the exclamation point on it, the Atlantic ocean is warmer than the Pacific. Significantly, even at the same latitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 06:54 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,402,251 times
Quote:
I wouldn't say the ocean is a big asset to the Boston - its the Atlantic, and it is gray, cold and dirty.

Have you actually been near the ocean in northern CA? Yes, the ocean near San Diego is beautiful and fairly warm. However, San Francisco is nearly 500 mi north and the water is NOT at all warm. The warm currents don't get much past Santa Barbara in CA. Even in the summer, you won't find a swimmable beach in SF with a water temp that tops 60 degrees. Unless you're talking about wading in tide pools at Bodega Bay or Marin County, bring a wetsuit.

If you don't think the ocean is an asset to New England you have never lived here or tried to enjoy it. New England has some of the most beautiful beaches in the world.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:17 AM

23,571 posts, read 18,678,020 times
Plus the seafood out there has nothing on ours. San Diego beaches are way overrated too. They have better surf and bodies, but the Cape, RI, Outer Banks...blows them away on everything else.

Old 12-20-2016, 09:49 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,406 times
Quote:
This makes me think you've never actually been to the Atlantic Ocean, or to New England.

San Francisco is beautiful, but I've not heard of too many people who really list going in the ocean there as one of its biggest assets. The water there is quite chilly.

And yes, San Diego is nice, too. But San Diego is a very different place than Boston, and it's silly in many ways to compare the two cities.

But I don't see how on earth you could say the ocean isn't a big asset to Boston. You might not personally use it, which is fine, but that doesn't make its value to the area any less.

Old 12-20-2016, 10:52 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,115,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OinkoBoingo View Post
No actually the music scene is terrible unless you're from French Lick Indiana or something then it might seem really awesome...the food is terrible...the people are terrible....the weather is terrible except for June to August....the sports teams are good which means the fans are terrible...you have to practically jump through a taxi cab's windshield for it to take you home late nights and i only need a cab because the subway closes at 12:30 WTF?..and they can't figure out how to make good pizza ( they think ketchup is acceptable for sauce). Dunkin donuts is from NE and has good coffee but they're everywhere now...do you like bros? Do you like bros with NE accents? If so then boston is right up your alley bro!

I lived in Boston for 4 years and regret it except I met my now wife there....I guess Im a little pissed that I spent 4 years in Boston...feels like a waste but I did learn what I don't like...

People, just move to NYC instead.

I am sorry you wasted 4 years here.. but I am more sorry that your story is pretty common. came to boston for school.. hated it.. New york is cooler.
It would be even cooler if you never came back.

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-22-2016 at 04:07 PM.. Reason: rude

Old 12-20-2016, 12:18 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,943,634 times
Quote:
Um, actually, the ocean isn't that warm in San Francisco....A lot of Easterners are surprised to find out the ocean water temps often peak in the low 70s even in San Diego.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:51 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,015,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OinkoBoingo View Post
No actually the music scene is terrible unless you're from French Lick Indiana or something then it might seem really awesome...the food is terrible...the people are terrible....the weather is terrible except for June to August....the sports teams are good which means the fans are terrible...you have to practically jump through a taxi cab's windshield for it to take you home late nights and i only need a cab because the subway closes at 12:30 WTF?..and they can't figure out how to make good pizza ( they think ketchup is acceptable for sauce). Dunkin donuts is from NE and has good coffee but they're everywhere now...do you like bros? Do you like bros with NE accents? If so then boston is right up your alley bro!

I lived in Boston for 4 years and regret it except I met my now wife there....I guess Im a little pissed that I spent 4 years in Boston...feels like a waste but I did learn what I don't like...

People, just move to NYC instead.
I think I read the first two sentences of this post before it became obvious that NYC>BOS would the conclusion. Seriously New Yorkers . . . get over yourselves. The Yankees are awful. The Giants are terrible this year as well. Boston is 1/10 the size of your city. The fact that it offers as much as it does is absolutely amazing.

Old 12-21-2016, 06:13 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,402,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
The Giants are terrible this year as well.
ummmmmm, don't look now but...

Old 12-22-2016, 07:21 AM

4,621 posts, read 4,888,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Um, actually, the ocean isn't that warm in San Francisco....A lot of Easterners are surprised to find out the ocean water temps often peak in the low 70s even in San Diego.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
This makes me think you've never actually been to the Atlantic Ocean, or to New England.

San Francisco is beautiful, but I've not heard of too many people who really list going in the ocean there as one of its biggest assets. The water there is quite chilly.

And yes, San Diego is nice, too. But San Diego is a very different place than Boston, and it's silly in many ways to compare the two cities.

But I don't see how on earth you could say the ocean isn't a big asset to Boston. You might not personally use it, which is fine, but that doesn't make its value to the area any less.
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Have you actually been near the ocean in northern CA? Yes, the ocean near San Diego is beautiful and fairly warm. However, San Francisco is nearly 500 mi north and the water is NOT at all warm. The warm currents don't get much past Santa Barbara in CA. Even in the summer, you won't find a swimmable beach in SF with a water temp that tops 60 degrees. Unless you're talking about wading in tide pools at Bodega Bay or Marin County, bring a wetsuit.

If you don't think the ocean is an asset to New England you have never lived here or tried to enjoy it. New England has some of the most beautiful beaches in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Hilarious stuff overall.

But this puts the exclamation point on it, the Atlantic ocean is warmer than the Pacific. Significantly, even at the same latitude.
Just to pile on:
The Pacific off SF, SLO, or anywhere north, is frigid! There's a reason its always 60 in SF. (many reasons, but the cold water doesn't help). It's nice to look at anywhere north of SLO, but don't touch it!

Also more Great White attacks happen between Monterrey Bay and SF than anywhere else in the world.

On the other hand, the sea life in Monterrey Bay is amazing. When I live in Sacramento, there were always sea lions that swap the 100 miles from SF up the river and lounged downtown. Once there were humpback whales in the river.

And photos of the ocean in Marin county (north end of Golden Gate bridge:
dsc_1248 by scorpio516, on Flickr
dsc_1297 by scorpio516, on Flickr
SF Downtown from Marin Headlands by scorpio516, on Flickr

Old 12-22-2016, 08:27 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,940,305 times
SF is beautiful, and damn, that climate is aces. Best thing about living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston