Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2020, 04:44 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,675,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I disagree with your outlook on the Irish. A little dated there. They aren't just doing union, state and city jobs.

Not to mention that the unions don't just include building trades and many union locals are primarily minority, such as Hotel Workers Local 26. I would also add that the majority of WASP (White protestants) are not loaded with money, anymore than Jews are cheap.

Last edited by bostongymjunkie; 12-10-2020 at 04:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2020, 06:15 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,793,003 times
Quote:
I disagree with your outlook on the Irish. A little dated there. They aren't just doing union, state and city jobs.
But they do head them and are definitely at the forefront of those things-see Marty Walsh. Obviously, they’ve anglicized and mainstreamed a ton. But they still get a lot of bread and butter there. The WASPy types are more uniformly upper middle class.

Old 12-10-2020, 07:16 PM

16,415 posts, read 8,223,904 times
Well the head of the boston police union's name is Calderone and the head of the Boston firefighters unions name is Soares. Not exactly Irish. Mayor Walsh is currently mayor and he's of Irish descent but Menino was Mayor before him.

I think you underestimate how many upper class people Irish backgrounds are in the area particularly on the south shore.

Old 12-10-2020, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Well the head of the boston police union's name is Calderone and the head of the Boston firefighters unions name is Soares. Not exactly Irish. Mayor Walsh is currently mayor and he's of Irish descent but Menino was Mayor before him.

I think you underestimate how many upper class people Irish backgrounds are in the area particularly on the south shore.
Since 1938 Menino has been the only Non-Irish mayor.

The Italians have a head of police union oh boy. But anyways yea obviously there are prominent Italians as well but not that many. I don’t think there’s one in city council and I’d never know Calderone.

As I said Blacks are third after wasps and Irish. As the head of firefighters, our police chief, school superintendent, poet laureate, our most notable rep in Congress, city council president, sheriff, and DA are all black as is the chief justice of the shore judicial court (state wide). Soares is a part of that.

I definitely don’t underestimate anything about the Irish and they’re class. Doesn’t mean they don’t dominate in general. As I said in. My original post I don’t have to get into all thing Irish. They’re number 1 regardless. Idc about the south shore I know all about that too though.

Are you arguing just to argue?

Old 12-10-2020, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Not to mention that the unions don't just include building trades and many union locals are primarily minority, such as Hotel Workers Local 26. I would also add that the majority of WASP (White protestants) are not loaded with money, anymore than Jews are cheap.
Relative to any one who’s not white or East Asian? Yes, WASPS are definitely loaded.

But also remember I went to Roxbury Latin I met many upper middle class well heeled Irish Catholics too. Although they often carried themselves a little differently than WASPS.

Old 12-10-2020, 08:03 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,675,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Relative to any one who’s not white or East Asian? Yes, WASPS are definitely loaded.

But also remember I went to Roxbury Latin I met many upper middle class well heeled Irish Catholics too. Although they often carried themselves a little differently than WASPS.

Yes, your time in high school several years ago definitely qualifies you to accurately assess and categorize an entire demographic based on their skin color and religion.

Old 12-10-2020, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Yes, your time in high school several years ago definitely qualifies you to accurately assess and categorize an entire demographic based on their skin color and religion.
I still don’t know what you all are arguing...lay it out for me what point youre disputing.

Are Irish people mainstream and diverse in their professions aspirations and pursuits? yes. Do they have an outsized presence in Certain industries? Yes. obviously all unions aren’t buildings and trades unions it’s just thats a a large part of the scene in Boston and they’re getting paid up the wazoo during this construction boom it in general as well. Good wealth building took to jettison your family to Norwell one day. You get a high level account management job to ride it out. Your son then becomes a Senior Investment Analyst at Generic Corp down the line.

My high school experience count for a good deal because it is home to the sons of some of the more ‘elite’ families in eastern MA. I also am being exposed to kids and their families from all over Eastern MA. While living in Boston itself. These are folks I know today as a a grown man-I have some insight into their social circles apart from me.

Old 12-11-2020, 07:03 AM

You're generalizing people's professions based on their ethnicity. I've noticed people here seem to think it's fine to generalize Irish people in a negative way. I think people have bad impressions of Boston Irish from movies like Goodwill Hunting and the Departed not to mention Whitie Bulger. There also seems to be some disdain people have towards the Irish for making up such a large part of Boston and the greater Boston area. You are correct when you sad the Irish people are mainstream and diverse in the professions. I would just leave it at that.

I also went to a fairly elite high school-Thayer. I would say it's not academically as strong as Roxbury Latin, but it's bigger and the majority are from the South shore, majority irish descent. It's also more expensive than RL. I think RL is the cheapest of the ISL schools because they have so many donors who keep the tuition lower right? Thayer is about 50k and RL is 30k a year. I think RL has about 50 people a class, and Thayer has about a 100. I still keep in touch with many of these folks as well and I agree that that wealth is handed down from generation to generation. I still wouldn't say your high school experience at RL is a fair representation of elite families in MA. Neither is mine. There are a lots of prestigious high schools in the Boston area, not to mention the elite public schools people send their kids to as well. Elite people move to Boston every day.

Old 12-11-2020, 07:37 AM

Quote:
You're generalizing people's professions based on their ethnicity. I've noticed people here seem to think it's fine to generalize Irish people in a negative way. I think people have bad impressions of Boston Irish from movies like Goodwill Hunting and the Departed not to mention Whitie Bulger. There also seems to be some disdain people have towards the Irish for making up such a large part of Boston and the greater Boston area. You are correct when you sad the Irish people are mainstream and diverse in the professions. I would just leave it at that.

I also went to a fairly elite high school-Thayer. I would say it's not academically as strong as Roxbury Latin, but it's bigger and the majority are from the South shore, majority irish descent. It's also more expensive than RL. I think RL is the cheapest of the ISL schools because they have so many donors who keep the tuition lower right? Thayer is about 50k and RL is 30k a year. I think RL has about 50 people a class, and Thayer has about a 100. I still keep in touch with many of these folks as well and I agree that that wealth is handed down from generation to generation. I still wouldn't say your high school experience at RL is a fair representation of elite families in MA. Neither is mine. There are a lots of prestigious high schools in the Boston area, not to mention the elite public schools people send their kids to as well. Elite people move to Boston every day.

You are super projecting what I guess are some insecurities? I didn't say anything at all negative about Irish people. Although they do have a negative reputation, as do Black people, for reasons we know and don't need to rehash. Anyways, this is exactly what I said:

A lot of different groups have pier in different arenas in Boston but within the city itself it’s

Irish American(politics, unions, state and city jobs, culturally). Goes without saying.

^That's what your upset about? That's "negative"? Wow...I wish black people could get those type of "negative stereotypes."

Yes RL has lower tuition because of the endowment and they strive to take 30% of the student Body from Boston proper. This is something the school takes pride in. As a result, the school is abnormally diverse (Thayer is 80.5% white whereas Roxbury Latin is 62.1% white )the vibe is artsier, more musical, and unorthodox than the traditional boys' school (comparing to Bel Hill and St. Sebs). Main sports are wrestling track and field and tennis, no suit and tie.

I know Thayer well not only did I play football and run track against some of the kids there I also went to Trinty College with those same kids in my grade from Thayer. And lived in dorms with them... I literally spoke to a Thayer Alum from Hull (Portuguese) 3/4 days ago. That being said most all of the kids i know from Thayer are black except for him.

My HS experience isn't a perfect representation but it's certainly more representative than the typical HS experience. I did go to school with some very very influential folks even before RL at the Chestnut hill school. Including the Krafts, the Gabrieli's (runner up for democratic nomination for governor) and Evans' family (Boston police commissioners), and many others.

Old 12-11-2020, 07:49 AM

Evans went to St Sebs...did his kids go to RL?

I didn't realize the Krafts had kids that young. I was in high school in the 90's and at the time Thayer was huge in Athletics. Quite a few people went on to play in the NHL. But many others excelled in all different sports-tennis, track, x-country, basketball, even skiing. I felt that for many sports kind of came first, academics second.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston