Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do salaries compensate?
Yes 3 8.11%
Somewhat 14 37.84%
Not at all 20 54.05%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 05:14 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,320,773 times

Advertisements

Total agree with lis on the crowding and it being daunting to do something just like go get coffee or groceries because you know you will likely be dealing with traffic then a long line once you get there.

I notice people keep saying jobs in the 'tech field'. Which jobs do u mean? Tech is so broad. Tech support or analyst probably doesn't pay much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 09:34 AM

4,176 posts, read 6,333,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Total agree with lis on the crowding and it being daunting to do something just like go get coffee or groceries because you know you will likely be dealing with traffic then a long line once you get there.

I notice people keep saying jobs in the 'tech field'. Which jobs do u mean? Tech is so broad. Tech support or analyst probably doesn't pay much.
These inconveniences we speak of aren't so trivial, as they tend to influence how we manage out time. For example, it's common for me to visit Target later in the night to avoid traffic, etc. In addition, people should ask themselves what positive benefits, if anything, they receive from living here which could potentially offset these daily annoyances. In most cases, the answer would be none in which case it's best to live elsewhere. Besides employment opportunities, I do not have a lot of positive feedback about the area having lived here ~ 1.5 months.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:13 AM

717 posts, read 1,057,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
These inconveniences we speak of aren't so trivial, as they tend to influence how we manage out time. For example, it's common for me to visit Target later in the night to avoid traffic, etc. In addition, people should ask themselves what positive benefits, if anything, they receive from living here which could potentially offset these daily annoyances. In most cases, the answer would be none in which case it's best to live elsewhere. Besides employment opportunities, I do not have a lot of positive feedback about the area having lived here ~ 1.5 months.
IMO, the biggest advantage to the Boston area is its location. Quite simply, there isn't a better located city in all of North America. Within an easy days drive, you can be in NYC, Montreal, Providence, DC, Philadelphia, Richmond, Quebec City, or Baltimore. You can also visit incredible smaller cities like Burlington, Portland, Portsmouth, Newport, Ithaca etc. Charming small towns like Northampton, Amherst, Hanover NH, Rhinebeck NY, etc. are at your fingertips. You have access to beautiful coastline, the white mountains, the green mountains, the Hudson River Valley, Niagara Falls, the Finger Lakes, the Appalachian trail, the Berkshires. In the fall, I can have breakfast in Boston, lunch in Montpelier, pick apples beside lake Champlain in the afternoon, eat dinner in Burlington, and make it home by my usual bedtime.

Outside of the Northeast, these kinds of options just don't exist in such abundance. If you don't like to travel, maybe it's irrelevant to you, but for someone who likes to explore, the location of Boston is very nearly priceless. That said, I gripe all of the time about the COL in Boston, and it is the only reason that I will likely leave someday.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:23 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,320,773 times
Default re

Maroon I agree that is one of the nice things about boston. You have the city, it's close to many beaches, the mountains aren't very far away, and there are other nice cities relatively close tO explore. I should look on the bright side of this area more often. I think many get caught up in the daily 9 to 5 grind during the week then the weekend comes and most people focus on chores or getting together with family and friends. I just don't have a ton of time for roadtrips.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:11 PM

227 posts, read 283,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Maroon I agree that is one of the nice things about boston. You have the city, it's close to many beaches, the mountains aren't very far away, and there are other nice cities relatively close tO explore. I should look on the bright side of this area more often. I think many get caught up in the daily 9 to 5 grind during the week then the weekend comes and most people focus on chores or getting together with family and friends. I just don't have a ton of time for roadtrips.

That's the problem. The hours and commitment to work, also considering the typical commute, required to live well in Boston takes away from the time left to enjoy the benefits.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:34 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,694,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EconHusky View Post
That's the problem. The hours and commitment to work, also considering the typical commute, required to live well in Boston takes away from the time left to enjoy the benefits.
Pretty much. By the time the weekend rolls around all I have time for is the errands I can't run during the week, and basic upkeep of my house. I estimate I use a week's worth of vacation days a year just to take care of basic things that can't be done on the weekend. If I actually had family in the area I'd be screwed because I'd never have time to do anything.

Old 02-19-2015, 03:14 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,598,650 times
If you are a new grad, then you are going to make new grad money, which is obviously low. The question is what you aspire to in the longer term. Boston is not worth the income you make right now, that's a given. But in the long run, it might be one the best places in the country to pursue a career in certain fields. If you see yourself as someone who will progress in your choosen career, then you will be paid very well in Boston down the line and it will offset the crazy COL. If you don't expect this trajectory, then Boston will always be a struggle compared to the comforts of other cheaper places.

Now there are many wonderful things about living in Boston or New York or San Francisco but without the income to back you up (esp. in the long term), or you will have to make sacrifices in terms of living standards to experience them. For many people, I find they make this sacrifice for a couple of years to experience the lifestyle/amenities before moving on to somewhere cheaper or more "livable". Some love the urban environment/lifestyle and will sacrifice to be there at all costs, even if they need to live with roommates or cramped quarters or make long commutes. It all depends on how much $ you have or expect to make and what your personal interests and values are. I don't think anyone can answer this question except yourself.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:00 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,433,622 times
Once you have kids those kids will have their own activities, many of which occur on the weekend (think soccer, for example). There go the road trips...

Old 02-20-2015, 07:50 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,137,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Once you have kids those kids will have their own activities, many of which occur on the weekend (think soccer, for example). There go the road trips...
It's about life choices. My parents kept up quite the social life despite having a child active in sports - beach days all summer long, frequent dinners out, weekend trips to the white mountains/western MA.

One child is very manageable - both financially and in terms of time investment.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:14 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,694,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
It's about life choices. My parents kept up quite the social life despite having a child active in sports - beach days all summer long, frequent dinners out, weekend trips to the white mountains/western MA.

One child is very manageable - both financially and in terms of time investment.
Maybe decades ago it was. I'm a parent of one child and while I'm certainly not poor, I'm always worried about absorbing a major unforseen expense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston