Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 02:15 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,418,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharencare View Post
Since this is a thread about Boston, I would point out that two dozen or so students get accepted into Harvard from Boston Latin School every year, not to mention the other impressive, highly selective colleges. But 1 in 3 students at BLS is economically disadvantaged, and 52% of the school are minorities.
How many of those from BLS to Harvard are affirmative action admissions? I'm totally serious in my question. My concern is that my children don't belong to an affirmative action ethnicity nor are they economically disadvantaged, so BLS may quote impressive college admissions statistics but are they relevant for me? Is the school and preparation actually good or is the politics (that won't apply to my kids) good?

Last edited by Guineas; 02-18-2015 at 02:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 02:18 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,653,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
That's what 10 year olds do...regardless of where they live lol
No they don't. And responsible parents don't let them out by themselves at night.

Old 02-18-2015, 02:31 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,332,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
No they don't. And responsible parents don't let them out by themselves at night.
Actually i agree, they don't. And they don't in my Somerville neighborhood either - ever. And we have more than 10 kids living within a 200ft radius of our house.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:37 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,320,505 times
Default re

I wouldn't have dreamed of saying the F word when I was 10. I'm not sure I even knew of the word. I find myself saying it sometimes now though.

Sadly there will always be this problem with education and this caste system so to speak. It comes down to brains and money. Seems like you need to have both in order to be successful. Sometimes having one or the other is ok, but if you have neither forget about it. it's such a rat race. I really question having children because of this sometimes. God forbid they had a learning disability or didn't get into the private school of the or choice. Seems like these things can make or break a family these days.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:40 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,805,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
Unfortunately gentrification is rampant here in Somerville........

.......Of course, our backup plan if we are not happy with the high schools when we get there in 7 years, is to move 2 blocks to Cambridge and send the kids to Rindge and Latin.

Sorry, I said I wouldn't post again but these two sentences in the same response made me chuckle.

Again, good luck!

Old 02-18-2015, 03:46 PM

5,788 posts, read 5,101,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
How many of those from BLS to Harvard are affirmative action admissions? I'm totally serious in my question. My concern is that my children don't belong to an affirmative action ethnicity nor are they economically disadvantaged, so BLS may quote impressive college admissions statistics but are they relevant for me? Is the school and preparation actually good or is the politics (that won't apply to my kids) good?
Also, why is it a big deal that two handful of kids from Boston Latin get accepted to Harvard? The school is a test based and highly competitive high school. You might argue it is the best public high school in Boston. So, given Boston's size, why is it so surprising to have BLS graduates go to Harvard or anywhere else? There's nothing to gloat about here. It's got the pick of the litter from Boston's entire school kids population, for pete's sake.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:48 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,158,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
That's what 10 year olds do...regardless of where they live lol
Not dropping F-bombs out of their mouths constantly. Kids that live in the city tend to pick up all kinds of ebonic slang and use it in their every day speech. But growing up in the suburbs, ghetto mannerisms are used but much more sparingly.

I also think that growing up in a city makes kids into adults too soon. It's easier to hold on to being a kid in the suburbs. And I think that at least the suburbs aren't as boring for children as a really rural setting would be.

My Chinese friend that grew up in Brookline loves to talk like a gangsta. While he can turn it on and off, he also likes to tag buildings. I'm so glad that I was able to grow up in Concord!

Old 02-18-2015, 03:49 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,418,608 times
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/25/op...cans.html?_r=0

"A similar injustice is at work today, against Asian-Americans. To get into the top schools, they need SAT scores that are about 140 points higher than those of their white peers."

Old 02-18-2015, 03:57 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,465,362 times
Quote:

"A similar injustice is at work today, against Asian-Americans. To get into the top schools, they need SAT scores that are about 140 points higher than those of their white peers."
I agree with that and same with Jews. Why are Jews and Asians who dominate the Ivy League's held to a higher standard then other minorities, I don't get America and the colleges here.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:06 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,332,083 times
Quote:

Admissions are not all about SAT scores, especially at Harvard where they could fill the school with perfect SAT scores, but instead they look at other factors. Everyone knows extra-curricular activities are a factor in admissions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston