Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 10:07 AM

20 posts, read 35,992 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to either Cambridge or Somerville this summer, hopefully within walking distance to Central, Harvard, Porter, or Davis square. As I am going through the rentals, I have noticed that it is very common for heat to be included in the rent. However, I have found a few cases where the heat is electric and not included in the rent. The difference in prices wasn't all that substantial, maybe $50/month.

I currently live in Pittsburgh. I used to live in a townhouse with gas heat, where heating never got to more than $200/month and was normally less. I moved into an apartment this year to downsize my rent a bit, but I hadn't realized the substantial difference in the price of gas heating vs electric. This past month, the heating portion of my electric bill was over $450. The apartment has new windows and there are no other obvious leaks of cold air, so I am left assuming that my smaller apartment is using less heat but costing almost double.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with or could comment on the prices of electric heat in the area. I would really appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 10:24 AM

787 posts, read 780,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgirl49 View Post
I will be moving to either Cambridge or Somerville this summer, hopefully within walking distance to Central, Harvard, Porter, or Davis square. As I am going through the rentals, I have noticed that it is very common for heat to be included in the rent. However, I have found a few cases where the heat is electric and not included in the rent. The difference in prices wasn't all that substantial, maybe $50/month.

I currently live in Pittsburgh. I used to live in a townhouse with gas heat, where heating never got to more than $200/month and was normally less. I moved into an apartment this year to downsize my rent a bit, but I hadn't realized the substantial difference in the price of gas heating vs electric. This past month, the heating portion of my electric bill was over $450. The apartment has new windows and there are no other obvious leaks of cold air, so I am left assuming that my smaller apartment is using less heat but costing almost double.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with or could comment on the prices of electric heat in the area. I would really appreciate it!
Depending on the age of the unit, the square footage, and how well it's insulated you're probably going to end up spending $300 plus during the coldest months.

My unit is 963 sq-ft, and my last bill was almost $350. That includes heating my place, the water heater, my kitchen appliances, lights, and anything else that's plugged into the wall. Now I sealed up drafts, have all new appliances, replaced bulbs with LEDs, shut off lights and electrical equipment that are not in use, but my condo is only insulated so well, and I have only so much control over the rates. I locked in my supply rate with a third party supplier. You can't change your delivery rate.

National Grid almost doubled their supply rate. I locked in with Gulf for $0.119 per kWh for the year (National Grid would have been somewhere around $0.1544). Now, I highly recommend looking for a third party supplier if you can since you'll use lots of kWh during the coldest months heating your place. National Grid typically lowers the supply rates during the warmer months when there's not as much demand.

Look at the past electric bills from the electricity provider. You'll get a good idea there.

The Northeast has some of the highest utility costs in the country. If only they would extend the natural gas pipeline.

Here's a sample from my last bill to give you an idea of the rates:

Last edited by Louisville Slugger; 03-04-2015 at 10:50 AM..

Old 03-04-2015, 11:39 AM

That was super helpful! My apartment here in Pitt is probably closer to 1000 sq ft (shared with a roommate), but we close off a room that is mostly windows in the winter. And we are on the top level, so I assume it has to be worse for the people below us. But getting a $515 electric bill (now that I look at it again, closer to $475 was heating) was a shock. My old townhouse is a block away and closer to 1500 sq ft, but less than half the cost. Part of me just wants to suck it up and find an apartment that has heat included, I don't want any more surprises during the winter months.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
That was super helpful! My apartment here in Pitt is probably closer to 1000 sq ft (shared with a roommate), but we close off a room that is mostly windows in the winter. And we are on the top level, so I assume it has to be worse for the people below us. But getting a $515 electric bill (now that I look at it again, closer to $475 was heating) was a shock. My old townhouse is a block away and closer to 1500 sq ft, but less than half the cost. Part of me just wants to suck it up and find an apartment that has heat included, I don't want any more surprises during the winter months.
Yeah, if I wanted a condo with central air and heat it would have been over my budget. Unless I moved into a 150+ unit complex. I like my current complex. Less than five units. Yes, there are compromises, but my unit feels like a house not like a giant complex will tons of little units, like a hotel.

It's the best way to describe it, I know. I knew I wasn't going to get everything I wanted in my first place. I am pretty happy with it too. It's not Cambridge/Somerville though, but it's my own place, no rommates!

Enjoy your time here!

Old 03-04-2015, 12:43 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,806,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisville Slugger View Post
Now, I highly recommend looking for a third party supplier if you can since you'll use lots of kWh during the coldest months heating your place. National Grid typically lowers the supply rates during the warmer months when there's not as much demand.

The Northeast has some of the highest utility costs in the country. If only they would extend the natural gas pipeline.
The demand for electricity is actually substantially higher during the warmer months. (check this out)

The demand for natural gas is much higher during the winter months as it is prioritized for heating purposes over electrical generation. Here in New England we primarily generate electricity using natural gas. When the supply is eaten up for home heating, the cost of gas on the spot market goes up incredibly high and the electrical generators/utilities pass the cost on to you.

You are correct to point out a pipeline as part of the solution, it will make a big difference when it comes to our rates.

Obviously you did your research on switching, but for anyone else looking be sure to scrutinize the details of the contract you signed. Between early termination fees, the rate actually being higher than Ngrid or Boston Edison you might not save anything. If you heat with electricity you would probably save even if you had to pay a $200 early termination fee.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:31 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,230,619 times
Quote:

Do you mind if I ask you how you're finding the rentals, what are the best websites to look at please?

Old 03-04-2015, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel,J View Post
Do you mind if I ask you how you're finding the rentals, what are the best websites to look at please?
So I started on Zillow, which sources from all different brokers in the area:

Apartments For Rent - 350 Rentals | Zillow

I feel like the standard broker fee of about one month's rent is exorbitant, so then I decided that if I was going to pay a broker, I would make sure it was a good experience. So I checked out Yelp:

Apartments Cambridge, MA

And from there, I found several brokers, went to their website and made a list. Here are a few of the services that have the most apartments in the Cambridge/Somerville area (many operate in Boston as well, and there are several others that operate in exclusively in Boston that I didn't bother bookmarking):

AllBostonApts.com :: contact us

Apartment Rental Experts - Apartments for Rent

http://bbarealtygroup.com/

Benjamin Apartments| Cityside Homes in Greater Boston, MA

Metro Realty Corp - Boston's Boutique Realtor and Best in Boston Real Estate

Allston Apartments for Rent, Brighton Apartments for Rent, Brookline Apartments for Rent - Prestige Rental Solutions

And of course, since I find the broker fee ridiculous, I always keep an eye on what is coming up on craigslist's fee-free apartments:

boston all no fee apts - craigslist

Hope that helps!

Old 03-05-2015, 11:18 AM

That should give you a good idea of the costs. Every year I feel like I am getting squeezed a little bit more with price increases. Electricity with the rate increases, my condo insurance went up, my auto insurance went up a little even though I drive less than 10,000 miles a year and did not file one claim. Oh and property taxes.

It's small increases but they add up. Now I know why people leave New England. It's the price you pay for living in a desirable area I guess.

My property taxes went up probably $100 more per year as well. Not much, but what can you do.

I did estimate electricity at about $150 per month on average for the 2013 to 2014 calendar year before I even moved in. I was almost right. I built a budget before I bought my condo and tried to estimate my adjustable costs and incorporated my fixed costs as well. I think I did pretty well.

Last edited by Louisville Slugger; 03-05-2015 at 11:43 AM..

Old 03-05-2015, 11:35 AM

Next Step Living quoted me $10,000 to install a ductless mini-split system for two zones. They claimed it would cut my usage by 50%. I highly doubt that, but lets assume best case scenario, 50% savings.

$1,972.92 * 0.50 = $986.46, so almost $1,000 a year saved.

$10,000 cost / $1,000 saved = 10 years to recoup cost with savings (basically break even).

Think I'll still live in my first place after 10 years? Probably not. Would it increase my property value? Probably. It would be like adding central air and heat.

It might be worth it if I could get it done for $5,000. I'll have to shop around.

Didn't mean to derail the thread guys, carry on.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:36 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,230,619 times
Quote:
So I started on Zillow, which sources from all different brokers in the area:

Apartments For Rent - 350 Rentals | Zillow

I feel like the standard broker fee of about one month's rent is exorbitant, so then I decided that if I was going to pay a broker, I would make sure it was a good experience. So I checked out Yelp:

Apartments Cambridge, MA

And from there, I found several brokers, went to their website and made a list. Here are a few of the services that have the most apartments in the Cambridge/Somerville area (many operate in Boston as well, and there are several others that operate in exclusively in Boston that I didn't bother bookmarking):

AllBostonApts.com :: contact us

Apartment Rental Experts - Apartments for Rent

http://bbarealtygroup.com/

Benjamin Apartments| Cityside Homes in Greater Boston, MA

Metro Realty Corp - Boston's Boutique Realtor and Best in Boston Real Estate

Allston Apartments for Rent, Brighton Apartments for Rent, Brookline Apartments for Rent - Prestige Rental Solutions

And of course, since I find the broker fee ridiculous, I always keep an eye on what is coming up on craigslist's fee-free apartments:

boston all no fee apts - craigslist

Hope that helps!
Wow thank you very much, that's so helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston