Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 09:17 AM

10 posts, read 10,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdude View Post
$1500 for a one bedroom near Harvard Square is not going to happen - in fact, $1500 for a decent-sized one bedroom in good condition is not going to happen anywhere in Boston/Cambridge area.
Living in/near Harvard Square is not a requirement (nor is living in Cambridge), and I'm willing to go up to $1800.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 02:35 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,940,247 times
Try Watertown and Somerville, as well as Belmont, Waltham ( better deals there), and Arlington. Although it would involve a longer commute ( on the Green Line), Newton can have some good deals at times. And there's always the roommate possibility to reduce prices, although there are some obvious risks. You're not going to find too much for less than 1500 for any one BR apartment in the Harvard Square area..

Old 03-25-2015, 02:59 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,246,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Try Watertown and Somerville, as well as Belmont, Waltham ( better deals there), and Arlington. Although it would involve a longer commute ( on the Green Line), Newton can have some good deals at times. And there's always the roommate possibility to reduce prices, although there are some obvious risks. You're not going to find too much for less than 1500 for any one BR apartment in the Harvard Square area..
To me Newton is overkill. OP has great options with easier commute as it is. Newton is also less young and OP would feel very out of place. At least Belmont and Waltham have some younger people and graduate students around.

Arlington and Watertown would be my top choices. And then also Somerville Davis Sq.; Cambridge Porter Sq. Waltham and Belmont if nothing else worked, or if they offered amazing space and amenities for the price. Waltham has more young people but Belmont has better commute and it is safer.

Old 03-25-2015, 03:14 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,661,626 times
And don't forget if OP decides to go a little farther out to Watertown and Waltham, there are bus line options between Harvard Square to those areas.

Old 03-25-2015, 03:53 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,994,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scifiwasabi View Post
I'll be working near Harvard Square, so I guess that's central Cambridge? The earliest I think I'd be able to visit would be in June or July.
Harvard Square is good because it's a transportation hub. Lots of bus lines terminate in Harvard Square and the subway runs through it.

So if you're not committed to living right in the neighborhood, you could find apartments in parts of Watertown, Belmont, Arlington, Somerville, Medford, Allston, and most other parts of Cambridge that would be a single bus ride from the Square. You could also go as far away as Dorchester, Quincy or Braintree and commute via the Red Line (subway).

Old 03-30-2015, 08:51 AM

6,465 posts, read 7,812,168 times
Sommerville and Watertown would be my top 2. I also say be ready to pounce on a place. It's unfortunate that you won't really have time to get to know the neighborhoods and get a feel for what life would be like but it is what it is. A place moves fast these days. Sommerville will be more of a hipper, more urban feel. Watertown will offer better deals for apartments. Since you'll be working in HS, I don't know how much you'll crave the more urban feel. I'd probably go with Watertown, it's a bit of an easier place to live.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston