Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 01:10 PM

10 posts, read 10,930 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am relocating to the Boston area starting Sept. 1st. I've never lived in Boston but I've heard finding housing, especially around that time of the year, is difficult.
I'm currently living on the other side of the country and I've never done an apartment search before so this whole process is a bit nerve wracking. I have a few questions to start but I appreciate any tips and tricks that could be offered, since I probably won't get a chance to actually fly out there and view any properties.

A few quick things about me:
A. I'm looking for a 1 bedroom ideally, but could also do a studio. I don't want roommates
B. Budget is $1500 - $1800, though I'd love to spend something closer to $1500. And if I could spend less than $1500 even better
C. I'll be working in Cambridge so ideally something nearby (Cambridge, Somerville, Allston, etc) but I will commute if necessary (by public transport). I'm not buying/bringing a car either, so something accessible to things like grocery shops is also important

Now the questions:
1. When should I start looking for a place and sign a lease? A friend who currently lives in Somerville told me she signed a lease mid-April for a Sept. 1st apartment

2. What are the best websites to find apartments in the area?

3. Would you recommend hiring a realtor and if so do you recommend any agencies/people?

4. Given my budget and where I'll be working, what are the best neighborhoods to focus on? Any neighbors I should avoid (especially because of safety issues)

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 01:47 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Where you will be working in Cambridge (which area) will impact suggestions.

9/1 is the worst time, as it is the student time. Will you be able to visit?

I've always used Craigslist, but I wouldn't sign anything without looking first, and the reality is, without boots on the ground it will be hard to find places in the more desirable areas to live without a car at your price range. Lots of those CL listings will be by a realtor (be prepared for a fee).

Old 03-24-2015, 01:58 PM

3,820 posts, read 2,701,868 times
^ You should know that when people say prepare for a realtor fee, the standard realtor fee is one month's rent.

I did the relocation from the west coast to Boston. It's very difficult to find anything without actually being in the city.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:00 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,243,463 times
There will be places advertised to rent as early as April/ May. If you can start sooner rather then later, it is better. I would be in Boston in latest June/July, and ideally you should be able to see the place for yourself, and sign all the neccessary papers. I would not try to do it from afar. You can be easily scammed. Even if you first search doesnt yield good results, do not despair since end of July brings new wave of available places for September again.

Boston.com; Craigslist; Hotpads; trulia; Zillow; Apartments.com etc Usual suspects should be sufficient.

Re agent can come in handy if you want to do it quickly, and have first dibs, in very competitive areas. Your budget is pretty healthy so maybe you could save some money and try to do it yourself first. Most landlords require first, last and security. It is illegal to ask for more then 3X rent as deposit except for new set of keys. RE agent fee would be separate and on top of that other money.

You should have no problem in Watertown, Belmont, Waltham, Arlington, Medford...depending on where exactly you work and what are your exact expectations. You could also look at Somerville and Cambridge itself if you can deal with smaller space. Look for apartments in two and three family buildings since they are often better with price and space, than big apartment complexes, which are anyway not as abundant here as in other parts of the US.

Good luck.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:45 PM

10 posts, read 10,930 times
I'll be working near Harvard Square, so I guess that's central Cambridge? The earliest I think I'd be able to visit would be in June or July.

Good to know that if I don't sign up for a place in April it's not the end of the world. I would much prefer to see the place in-person as well, because I am a bit picky.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:13 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,243,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scifiwasabi View Post
I'll be working near Harvard Square, so I guess that's central Cambridge? The earliest I think I'd be able to visit would be in June or July.

Good to know that if I don't sign up for a place in April it's not the end of the world. I would much prefer to see the place in-person as well, because I am a bit picky.
Just keep in mind that places go fast and competition can be fierce. See something really good be ready to write the check on the spot. Two hours later it might be gone. You are looking in the area where you are not just competing with young people like yourself, but huge number of students, as well as young families. It can be madness. Do your research in advance, so you know where you want to be, and what types of places you want to see, so you are not wasting your time running in circles.

Good luck!

Old 03-24-2015, 07:37 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,777,075 times
Quote:

Harvard Square is a little to the west of Central Cambridge but it is quite a convenient location. Cambridge itself may be a bit pricey but you should try Somerville, Medford, Watertown, and Arlington, all reachable by bus or trackless trolley from Harvard Square. You might even want to consider Waltham, which can be reached by only a few stops on the Fitchburg commuter rail line from Porter Square, a little to the north of Harvard Square. You have better chance of finding an apartment in your price range in Waltham. Good luck in finding an apartment and sorry that Boston is so expensive. We're up there with San Fran and Seattle for sure.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:

Picky is fine, but be prepared. At the lower to mid end of one bedroom ranges (1500) things can go very fast. I learned several searches ago that time is a luxury rarely afforded to renters. I only had success when I became prepared mentally and physically to write a check on the spot as soon as I saw a place that would work. No coming back and looking a second time. No shopping around and saying "I'll get back to you"... the apartments will be rented within days, generally, if you're in the core areas.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:45 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,065,140 times
$1500 for a one bedroom near Harvard Square is not going to happen - in fact, $1500 for a decent-sized one bedroom in good condition is not going to happen anywhere in Boston/Cambridge area.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdude View Post
$1500 for a one bedroom near Harvard Square is not going to happen - in fact, $1500 for a decent-sized one bedroom in good condition is not going to happen anywhere in Boston/Cambridge area.

Just not true. My good friend is paying $1200 (moved in two months ago), including heat, for a lovely hard wood floor, great light, one bedroom apartment two blocks outside of Union Sq Somerville (8 min walk or so to the 86 stop to Harvard Sq) on a very nice street up toward the HS. Great exterior and interior. Huge kitchen and bedroom, the bathroom is a little small. Original wood floors (refinished) in the living room. Good security. Long term tenants.

They're out there. You have to be on the ground, work hard, and act fast.

I pay a little less ($1100) in Somerville, but the place is not as nice as above, but still pretty ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston