Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 09:38 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,258,494 times

Advertisements

I'm planning a small 4 day vacation to Boston probably in early June. I was just wondering if anyone has any recommendations of a "must-see" or "must-do" for visiting Boston. It will just be me and my boyfriend and we enjoy nightlife, outdoor activities (biking, walking), and sight-seeing.

From the small amount of research i have done, it seems it's best to stay in a hotel in the "waterfront" area... because there is a bike tours company that got really good reviews right there... and people wrote that it was nice to walk along a path on the waterfront to see the boats and harbor. would this area be the best place to stay? We would also want to stay near a large group of bars/restaurants too.

also thinking of going to the Sam Adams or Harpoon brewery for a day.

I appreciate any input/advice.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 10:34 AM

596 posts, read 821,029 times
Harpoon is great! If you're going on a weekend, go early. Sam Adams is fun too, especially if you take the trolley to Doyle's. You'll need to take a cab/T/bus to them though.

There's lot's of "waterfront" area, but I'm guessing you're thinking of the bike tours place near Long Wharf. If you find a hotel with good reviews around there, I think it would be fine to stay there. It's near the Blue and Orange lines. There are bars and restaurants nearby in the North End/Faneuil Hall area. Another good place for bars and restaurants is Back Bay.

Other things to do: get a cannoli at Mike's Pastry (don't be dissuaded by a line, it moves fast), you can rent kayaks and kayak the Charles, check out Harvard (that seems to interest many people), you can also take the commuter rail to Manchester-by-the-Sea if you want to go to a beach (if you live near a beach now it's probably not worth it), if you like history there's the JFK Museum and Library, the Freedom Trail is a nice walk through many historic sites--you can get a tour or just download the app in your iphone and do it self-guided.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:12 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,996,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaeger07 View Post
you can also take the commuter rail to Manchester-by-the-Sea if you want to go to a beach (if you live near a beach now it's probably not worth it),
It'll be too cold to go in the water in early June, so if you just want to see "a beach", I suggest Revere or one of the beaches in South Boston or Dorchester, but I'm not sure I'd make that a priority at all for a four-day trip unless you're really dying to see "a beach".

Otherwise, Freedom Trail/Duck Tours for sight-seeing. Harvard Square for people-watching. Faneuil Hall or Landsdowne Street or Theater District for nightlife. Check out a museum if you're so inclined. Arnold Arboretum will probably be nice if you want to go walking.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:01 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,820,679 times
The only "must see" in this area is me. As for "must do", well...I don't want to get banned so will keep my big yap shut.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:27 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,996,512 times
High-yo!

Old 04-27-2015, 01:58 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,820,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
High-yo!
LOL...literally.

Tried to rep you but seems I need to spread it around.

Edit: OP, consider getting an all day pass on one of the hop on hop off buses. They hit pretty much all the high stuff. Have a blast.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:37 PM

2,441 posts, read 4,850,776 times
You can stay wherever you want in central Boston and get down to the waterfront for a bike tour or rental easily enough; the city is compact. Waterfront is only one good area and you may get a better deal elsewhere. As yaeger says, Back Bay is great too. The waterfront is very walkable and so is the other 'waterfront' -- the Charles River. Your bike tour company will give you a taste of both. You can include a visit to one or the other brewery as part of your bike ride-- if its Urban Adventures, the Sam Adams brewery is right off their Emerald Necklace tour, and the Harpoon is on the Northern Ave portion of the waterfront. Hope the weather is good for cycling!

Old 04-27-2015, 02:55 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,258,494 times
thank you for the replies!! got some good info here... i'm from Long Island, so i think i can pass on the beach unless we have enough time to fit it in.

and yes, the bike tours i was looking at was urban adventours.... good to know that we can choose a route that stops at the breweries.. on the map it looks like the sam adams one is 11 miles away though? so i'm assuming it only goes to the Harpoon brewery... either one is fine so it doesn't really matter, just hoping to taste some yummy beers

Thanks again

Old 04-27-2015, 03:29 PM

596 posts, read 821,029 times
Boston is not 11 miles in any direction (definitely not as the crow flies, for sure). You're looking at the wrong thing

Old 04-27-2015, 05:36 PM

2,441 posts, read 4,850,776 times
Maybe an 11-mile round trip from their headquarters. Jamaica Plain is only 4-5 miles from downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston