Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2021, 12:59 PM

3,207 posts, read 2,115,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Mike's Pastry is still there, right? Cannoli heaven is the most important place in Boston. And Cambridge.
Yes. But Modern pastry is far better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2021, 01:01 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,318,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Mike's Pastry is still there, right? Cannoli heaven is the most important place in Boston. And Cambridge.
If they aren't, there's a lot of tourists walking around Copley with Mike's Pastry boxes they bought from a gift shop somewhere.

Old 06-11-2021, 01:19 PM

6,340 posts, read 2,891,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
If they aren't, there's a lot of tourists walking around Copley with Mike's Pastry boxes they bought from a gift shop somewhere.
I found out about Mike's Cambridge one day when I was going to a concert at Sanders and saw people with Mike's boxes. After the concert I found it. I hope to be back when they have concerts again.

Old 06-11-2021, 02:03 PM

16,317 posts, read 8,140,203 times
Ben & Jerrys and Coldstone have way better ice cream than emack's and JP licks.

Old 06-11-2021, 02:54 PM

6,340 posts, read 2,891,514 times
Is that Lady M cake shop on Newbury still there? I've never bought one of their $100 cakes.

Old 06-11-2021, 06:24 PM

2,941 posts, read 5,185,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
Teriyaki House and Max Brenner (both Boylston) also closed during the pandemic.

The Buttery's annex on Clarendon has been closed and remains closed, but looks like they're doing construction in there now so I think it will be re-opening soon.

Trophy Room on Chandler/Berkeley also remains closed, not sure if it'll reopen.
South End Buttery told me months ago they'd be reopening their small Clarendon Street shop soon. I passed by other day, and it's still closed. At least their Shawmut Avenue shop next door reopened its tiny takeout, but the layout is different now

Seems Appleton Bakery is closed (?) or just doing takeout from the entrance....or is it transforming into another similar site? I couldn't tell as I strolled by yesterday.

On Columbus Avenue, Petit Robert's sidewalk tables were packed yesterday. As was Picco on Tremont and Banyan seemed busy on the patio. Oh, and Deluxe Cafe on Clarendon now has a sidewalk setup.

Mistral as well as Club Cafe now have street dining. Also, Giacomo on Columbus and Davio's on Arlington have street dining. Weird to see but welcome!

Rochembault on Boylston had a lively outdoor scene yesterday as did Eataly next to it. Sola at the Lenox has the patio open now. Cafe du Midi near the Four Seasons has its patio open as of a few weeks ago.

Heck, I'm impressed and grateful that we have all of these spots still here!

Old 06-12-2021, 11:49 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,318,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
South End Buttery told me months ago they'd be reopening their small Clarendon Street shop soon. I passed by other day, and it's still closed. At least their Shawmut Avenue shop next door reopened its tiny takeout, but the layout is different now

Seems Appleton Bakery is closed (?) or just doing takeout from the entrance....or is it transforming into another similar site? I couldn't tell as I strolled by yesterday.

On Columbus Avenue, Petit Robert's sidewalk tables were packed yesterday. As was Picco on Tremont and Banyan seemed busy on the patio. Oh, and Deluxe Cafe on Clarendon now has a sidewalk setup.

Mistral as well as Club Cafe now have street dining. Also, Giacomo on Columbus and Davio's on Arlington have street dining. Weird to see but welcome!

Rochembault on Boylston had a lively outdoor scene yesterday as did Eataly next to it. Sola at the Lenox has the patio open now. Cafe du Midi near the Four Seasons has its patio open as of a few weeks ago.

Heck, I'm impressed and grateful that we have all of these spots still here!
The Annex should be close to re-opening. It's changed quite a bit on the inside and I'm still seeing frequent activity going on during weekdays when I walk by.

I think you're talking about Greystone on Appleton and Darthmouth? It's been called that for the last year anyway, and if that's the place you're talking about, yeah they're only doing window service. The dining area should be reopening soon though, according to their signs.

Picco had used the open brick area between Tremont/Berkeley/Warren last year for outdoor dining, but they aren't this year. DeLux (no e) also blocked off the street last year and nice to see them doing it again this year.

The real surprise with Giacomo's is that they joined online takeout ordering so you can use a card to pay for dinner. The pandemic forced their hand on cash-only, at least for takeout.

Solas at the Lenox has also re-opened inside dining and glad it has. It's a place I like to hit for a quick dinner on my walk to Fenway.

Five Horses on Columbus also finally reopened.

Old 06-13-2021, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Whiskeys, The Fours, The Field, The Cantab, The Pour House and Cuchi Cuchi cut the deepest on this list, which probably dates me a bit.

That Regina's location in Allston was meh. The North End original is really the only worthwhile location. That spot was better as the Sports Depot. New it will become part of the soon to be overdeveloped Cambridge Street corridor.
At Quincy Market, I definitely miss Magnolia Bakery and Cupcakes. It wasn't a full store like their NYC locations, but I liked their Boston Cream Pie pudding which was not available in their NYC stores, as well as their chocolate layer cake slice! At least Chipyard Cookies is still there, and sometimes I get them still warm and fresh like last visit.

Faneuil Hall opened a new candy store last week! At least the space isn't empty. It's on the outdoor area near where the Christmas tree would be. Could be a chain but anything is encouraging at this point, right?

I walked by The Fours in Quincy the other day, and noticed a lively patio scene. Hope they make it.

I couldn't believe how ultra-narrow Salem Street in the North End has set up patio dining. North Square in the North End (why do tourists insist on calling it "Little Italy"?! Aaargh!
That's in NYC, right?) has done patios also, like Mama Maria, Limoncello and another restaurant. Even Daily Catch on Atlantic/Commercial.

Quincy Center on Hancock Street has a very small patios including The Townshend, Lime and Pearl, and a couple other restaurants. Even Italian Gelato Cafe on Chestnut....they make it on site and I'll give it a plug here for the nice female owner!

Maybe all of these places had patios last summer also, or maybe it's a first attempt for some.

What I delighted in recently was the Leonard Street area of Belmont Center which has set up patios on each side of the street. Not sure if they did that summer.

I imagine Arlington may have a patio scene but haven't been there in awhile.

Of course, Moody Street in Waltham is doing patios again this year.

I think Boston Public Market is now open on Sundays once again -- but it's closed on Monday and Tuesday? It had been seven days ore pandemic. Inna"s Jewish cuisine stand told me they're closing as of last week but will have some frozen items available at an adjacent stall. I think they're still keeping their Newton store.

Last edited by bostonguy1960; 06-13-2021 at 10:32 AM..

Old 06-13-2021, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
It closed last year. No loss.
Still empty.

And I noticed McCormick & Schmick at the edge of Quincy Market area is gone but Margarita's will replace it this fall, according to Boston.com. Isn't that a suburban chain?

For those wondering, the eateries around Union Oyster House have patios and seem somewhat busy at times.

Old 06-14-2021, 07:47 AM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
And I noticed McCormick & Schmick at the edge of Quincy Market area is gone but Margarita's will replace it this fall, according to Boston.com. Isn't that a suburban chain?

For those wondering, the eateries around Union Oyster House have patios and seem somewhat busy at times.
Margaritaville is going in the McCormick & Schmick's space, not Margaritas. I think this is the lesser of two evils. Margaritaville is a tacky, touristy, Jimmy Buffet/Florida-Caribbean themed restaurant (which should do fine in Faneuil Hall). Margaritas is a god-awful regional suburban chain of "Mexican" restaurants. While i'm no fan of Margaritaville, I definitely prefer it over Margaritas which would just be a low rent, redundant version of Mija's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston