Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2022, 07:25 PM

16,317 posts, read 8,140,203 times

Advertisements

Overall it seems like a privileged issue. Waaah I have to pay 7500 bucks if I want my north end restaurant to have outdoor seating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2022, 07:30 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Overall it seems like a privileged issue. Waaah I have to pay 7500 bucks if I want my north end restaurant to have outdoor seating.
It is. It's not like they can't survive without it.

Old 03-27-2022, 08:15 PM

23,571 posts, read 18,678,020 times
Wu tells North End restaurant owners if they hate the outdoor patio program so much, she can just cancel it completely

https://universalhub.com/2022/wu-tel...s-if-they-hate

"Kristina Rex posts a copy of a letter Mayor Wu sent to North End restaurant owners that says the proposed outdoor-dining fee is because the people who actually live in the North End are fed up with the disruptions caused by outdoor dining there and the money would try to make things a bit better for them.
But, Wu continues:
If a critical mass of restaurant owners also believe this program is unworkable as proposed, I am prepared to rescind North End outdoor dining before the start of the season."

Old 03-27-2022, 08:22 PM

16,317 posts, read 8,140,203 times
Maybe the answer is get some more windows or doors that can be opened during the hot summer months so people can feel more like they’re outside. Some people actually don’t like to eat outside when it’s hot because they want to be inside with the AC.

Old 03-27-2022, 08:23 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,318,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
But other places that do offer don’t have to block the streets off
Not true. Some streets in Back Bay and South End get parts blocked (or closed entirely) for outdoor dining. Just off the top of my head, last year Stanhope got closed for Flour and Friendly Toast, part of Clarendon closed for DeLux, and Union Park had chunks closed for Aquitaine, Black Sheep, Buttery, and KAVA. Petit Robert got a few slots on Columbus, and several more got part of Washington.

Old 03-28-2022, 06:04 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,122,563 times
How did they arrive at the $7,500 figure? How will the money be used? It does seem unfair and targeted if streets are closed in other parts of the city for outdoor dining. There could be more buy-in if there was more explanation.

Old 03-28-2022, 07:23 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,318,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
How did they arrive at the $7,500 figure? How will the money be used? It does seem unfair and targeted if streets are closed in other parts of the city for outdoor dining. There could be more buy-in if there was more explanation.
Good question. Per https://boston.eater.com/2022/3/24/2...s-restrictions, looks like the fees will go toward trash cleanup, rodent control, and traffic jams (whatever that means).

The only rational reason I can think of with the North End is that there's already very limited parking and with the restaurant density there it would be a significant reduction in resident parking. At least with the Back Bay and South End, the lost parking was overwhelmingly 2 hour/metered, so the net impact to residents was small.

Old 03-28-2022, 07:40 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
This. This is my only qualm and the question that needs to be asked. 7500 to pay for more police patrol at night, extra clean-up, more trash bins, and safety features makes sense. per id77 a lt of that is in there.

Old 03-28-2022, 07:41 AM

5,951 posts, read 2,871,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Wu tells North End restaurant owners if they hate the outdoor patio program so much, she can just cancel it completely

https://universalhub.com/2022/wu-tel...s-if-they-hate

"Kristina Rex posts a copy of a letter Mayor Wu sent to North End restaurant owners that says the proposed outdoor-dining fee is because the people who actually live in the North End are fed up with the disruptions caused by outdoor dining there and the money would try to make things a bit better for them.
But, Wu continues:
If a critical mass of restaurant owners also believe this program is unworkable as proposed, I am prepared to rescind North End outdoor dining before the start of the season."
North End restaurants screwed by the pandemic finally see a end to thei financial r suffering and Mayor Wu tosses sand in the oil of the engine that will free them of back breaking debt
The Mayor does what all Progressives do.....crush innovation with heavy taxation.

Last edited by ben young; 03-28-2022 at 07:53 AM..

Old 03-28-2022, 07:46 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,122,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
Good question. Per https://boston.eater.com/2022/3/24/2...s-restrictions, looks like the fees will go toward trash cleanup, rodent control, and traffic jams (whatever that means).

The only rational reason I can think of with the North End is that there's already very limited parking and with the restaurant density there it would be a significant reduction in resident parking. At least with the Back Bay and South End, the lost parking was overwhelmingly 2 hour/metered, so the net impact to residents was small.
Interesting point in one of the articles where a restaurant says their patio area is very small so the $7,500 fee is disproportionately more expensive compared to larger restaurants with larger outdoor spaces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston