Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2023, 08:27 AM

12,820 posts, read 22,009,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Don't feel bad. I've only been here a few years, and if a visitor were to ask me to recommend a neighborhood to go kill a few hours strolling, I'd send them to Newbury St, the North End, or Harvard Sq. The Seaport wouldn't even pop into my head.
I would almost certainly point a visitor elsewhere. There's too much else that's a lot more uniquely Boston to see without setting foot in the Seaport. That said, you can have a uniquely Boston experience there. The Harbor Walk through the Seaport offers some excellent skyline and harbor views. The ICA is absolutely worth a visit (take the complimentary water shuttle to the ICA Watershed in Eastie too). Trillium is one of the best MA breweries and their location on the Ft. Point/Seaport line (they originated over there) is worth a visit if you want to try one of Boston's best beers. Martin's Park is great if you have kids and look into the backstory of the park. Barking Crab is tacky (and overpriced), but it's a Boston staple. Some of the rooftop bars have incredible views (Lookout and Deck 12 in particular) of the city. And while most of the restaurants are generic chains, there are some pretty unique spots. Nautilus Pier 4 is one of my favorite special occasion spots in the city now. And they've done a really good job of activating the public spaces. There's typically always something good going on at Seaport Common (The Current pop-up shopping village is awesome and changes constantly), lots of public art displays, etc.

But overall, it's not going to beat Back Bay, Beacon Hill, the North End, South End, etc. in terms of character, history, and unique local flavor. Definitely not.

Last edited by lrfox; 07-12-2023 at 08:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2023, 08:59 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,319,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I like how its giving Boston a more robust cosmopolitan feel in addition to its historical neighborhoods.

Now, like irfox said, I hate how its pulling away from the other neighborhoods. Very frustrating we can't have both.

It also gives me West Village/Hudson Yards vibes in regards to the people. White washed, bland and cringey.
I'm not convinced it's pulling away from DTX and Back Bay, but rather those areas have other unique challenges that are closing shops. All 3 areas seem geared toward specific spenders.

DTX is doing the worst of the 3 by far because there's nothing really worth going there for besides Roche Bros (itself really only useful for the small number of local residents) or the Diamond District (which is an infrequent and limited need for most people).

Newbury has the best dining and shopping options of the 3, but leases are expensive and the average tourist coming in can't afford half of the stuff sold there. Only businesses with high volume and/or deep pockets can stay for long.

Seaport is for salesbros and corporate holiday parties.

Old 07-12-2023, 09:04 AM

23,539 posts, read 18,678,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I would almost certainly point a visitor elsewhere. There's too much else that's a lot more uniquely Boston to see without setting foot in the Seaport. That said, you can have a uniquely Boston experience there. The Harbor Walk through the Seaport offers some excellent skyline and harbor views. The ICA is absolutely worth a visit (take the complimentary water shuttle to the ICA Watershed in Eastie too). Trillium is one of the best MA breweries and their location on the Ft. Point/Seaport line (they originated over there) is worth a visit if you want to try one of Boston's best beers. Martin's Park is great if you have kids and look into the backstory of the park. Barking Crab is tacky (and overpriced), but it's a Boston staple. Some of the rooftop bars have incredible views (Lookout and Deck 12 in particular) of the city. And while most of the restaurants are generic chains, there are some pretty unique spots. Nautilus Pier 4 is one of my favorite special occasion spots in the city now. And they've done a really good job of activating the public spaces. There's typically always something good going on at Seaport Common (The Current pop-up shopping village is awesome and changes constantly), lots of public art displays, etc.

Is the Barking Crab even considered Seaport? Guess I never really associated it with that, since it was there all along.

Personally I'd rather take somebody for a walk in the Blue Hills and then head to the Canton Trillium, and save Boston for "Boston" stuff.

Old 07-12-2023, 09:57 AM

12,820 posts, read 22,009,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Is the Barking Crab even considered Seaport? Guess I never really associated it with that, since it was there all along.

Personally I'd rather take somebody for a walk in the Blue Hills and then head to the Canton Trillium, and save Boston for "Boston" stuff.
I think it is. The older industrial blocks south of Seaport BLVD are definitely Fort Point, but even that line has been blurred with lots of new development happening there. I'm not sure what neighborhood Barking Crab was in before the Seaport existed, but it seems like it's comfortably the Seaport now.

We do the Blue Hills to Trillium (or Widowmaker) walk quite a bit. It's a good way to spend an afternoon.

I forgot to mention in the previous post, but the Commonwealth Pier renovation is an exciting addition. Work looks (to my eyes) like it's getting close to done.

Old 07-12-2023, 10:26 AM

16,325 posts, read 8,150,917 times
I worked in the seaport for a few months not long ago. As someone from the area I guess I didn't find the seaport to be that exciting. If you came from somewhere else maybe you'd find it amazing. I feel like people are expected to love something that is new and expensive and if they don't they're negative. I would walk around the seaport every day and it just had a weird vibe to me. It will always feel new to me.

Old 07-12-2023, 10:44 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,116,611 times
eh. It's like a huge shopping mall for generic people. A lot of Instagramable stuff. very little substance.

Old 07-12-2023, 12:42 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,286,495 times
My office is down there, so I am there semi often. I don't mind the area and it sure does beat a bunch of surface lots. Yes the architecture is uniform and glass and boring, but overall it is a successful neighborhood which is getting better.

I do like the out reach lately to attract a more diverse audience. I had a great time at Grace by Nia (https://www.gracebynia.com/) the other night. A friend of mine who owns another Caribbean restaurant in Boston is also opening up a cocktail bar and I look forward to that.

It is also the location of Zaz Fest, which will be back again in August. They had a great lineup of Soca and Reggae artists last year and its going to be even better this year. (https://www.zazfest.com/lineup-1)

Otherwise we have organized some team building events at places like Puttshack and Flight Club. Its not something I could do every weekend, but for a one off here and there, no complaints and had a good time.

Like any other new neighborhood it needs time to age and mold itself into something that is appealing to a wide audience. Give it time and it hopefully will have something for everyone eventually.

Old 07-12-2023, 01:10 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Snowport was nice when I stopped by this winter. Like Irfox said, it's the closest thing to a real holiday market that Boston's ever had. The ones on City Hall Plaza were awful.

However, as with everything else in the Seaport, food/drink were way overpriced. It was like $15 for a cup of mulled wine, which is criminal by European Xmas Market standards.

Old 07-12-2023, 02:34 PM

23,539 posts, read 18,678,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I worked in the seaport for a few months not long ago. As someone from the area I guess I didn't find the seaport to be that exciting. If you came from somewhere else maybe you'd find it amazing. I feel like people are expected to love something that is new and expensive and if they don't they're negative. I would walk around the seaport every day and it just had a weird vibe to me. It will always feel new to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
eh. It's like a huge shopping mall for generic people. A lot of Instagramable stuff. very little substance.

That's the initial impression I've got passing through. Just kind of "cold" and uninviting (in a gawk at but don't take off your shoes and settle in kind of way).

Old 07-12-2023, 03:17 PM

16,325 posts, read 8,150,917 times
Yes it definitely had an outdoor shopping mall vibe scattered with corporate offices and places to dine al fresco (when it's warm). It has a Sephora and many other stores that would appear in a mall. It didn't feel unique not that it needs to...but not sure why everyone should feel like it's such a great addition to Boston. It's unaffordable for most people to live there. Great if you get a job working there and can shop and try some of the eateries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston