Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2023, 08:01 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,766,948 times

Advertisements

I worked for a number of years in the Seaport and have traversed just about every part of it. The Seaport is sterile but ugly. It reeks of opulent new wealth, the type of wealth brought in from newly arrived out of towners just with the purpose of spending lots of money and living the good life as opposed to raising families or developing a community. That's why there really isn't a sense of community there. There's still a part by the Port of Boston and the Marine Industrial Park that remains very industrial and will probably remain the same because the Port isn't going anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2023, 06:27 PM

16,326 posts, read 8,162,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
I worked for a number of years in the Seaport and have traversed just about every part of it. The Seaport is sterile but ugly. It reeks of opulent new wealth, the type of wealth brought in from newly arrived out of towners just with the purpose of spending lots of money and living the good life as opposed to raising families or developing a community. That's why there really isn't a sense of community there. There's still a part by the Port of Boston and the Marine Industrial Park that remains very industrial and will probably remain the same because the Port isn't going anywhere.
I can't imagine raising a family in the seaport.

Old 07-19-2023, 06:40 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,778,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I can't imagine raising a family in the seaport.
Dog Family

Old 07-23-2023, 06:51 AM

959 posts, read 535,528 times
It really depends on lifestyle. I can see mature parents devoting time to kids and their activities. Various activities, private schools. Boston offers so much to raise well developed kids. In suburbs it’s also not necessarily about community. Large private houses … babysitters, chauffeurs. Kids still can have friends. Just not necessarily right where they live.

Old 07-24-2023, 06:31 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl View Post
It really depends on lifestyle. I can see mature parents devoting time to kids and their activities. Various activities, private schools. Boston offers so much to raise well developed kids. In suburbs it’s also not necessarily about community. Large private houses … babysitters, chauffeurs. Kids still can have friends. Just not necessarily right where they live.
commute kills it. I bet there are about 50 kids living in the Seaport. Maybe 10 of em being teens.

Old 07-25-2023, 07:55 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,319,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
commute kills it. I bet there are about 50 kids living in the Seaport. Maybe 10 of em being teens.
https://www.unitedstateszipcodes.org/02210/ says 71 children aged 0-17. Some of the 18s might be kids at home too, but I'm guessing they're college students given the sudden spike.

The majority of households in Seaport also fall in the age range of 25-44, which also explains the lack of older children as waiting until 35-40 to start having kids is pretty common around here.

I'm a little surprised that there are 0 kids in public school. Even Beacon Hill/Back Bay has about around a third of the kids enrolled in BPS.

Old 07-25-2023, 08:32 AM

12,820 posts, read 22,009,846 times
I'm not too surprised there aren't a ton of families in the Seaport yet, but I also wouldn't expect that to always be the case. Most "family" neighborhoods take generations to establish. If the Seaport is always a place where 20-30 something professionals briefly rent overpriced apartments before moving on and older, affluent people buy condos, then it may never have much of a family element. But if even a fraction of those 20-30 somethings renting like it enough to establish roots there, the number of kids will jump. I think the latter is definitely possible, but it'll take time to get to that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston