Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 11:58 PM

108 posts, read 570,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastWoman View Post
LOL at this thread! What the heck is DOT? Dorchester starts with a DOR. Thanks for the interesting info and the laughs.
dorchester avenue is sometimes called DOT AVE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 05:37 AM

Location: The State of Rhode Island, Presented by Dunkin' Donuts
115 posts, read 377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivabigpapi View Post
Which section of Hyde Park did Manny Delcarmen of the Boston Red Sox grow up in?
Not sure where he grew up, but once a year, he has a charity bowling tournament (to raise money for Boston school programs) at Twentieth Century Lanes and Ron's Ice Cream (which are one and the same place -- it's a bowling house with an ice cream bar)! I go there every so often, being an itinerant candlepin bowler. That place has been there forever, but I only discovered it a couple of years ago....

Urb

Old 09-20-2009, 06:18 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,187,473 times
WBZ radio just reported two unrelated murders in Hyde Park overnight.

Not sure which areas.

Old 11-24-2011, 07:17 PM

546 posts, read 1,376,781 times
I grew up in Hyde Park, near the Mattapan border on Tileston St. Love my old neighborhood. Hello to any one who recognizes my name.

Old 02-18-2015, 05:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,568 times
Hyde Park was a great neighborhood until the Haitians moved in there were a lot of shops and places to eat in Cleary Sq . Now Cleary Sq is run down. Everything east of Hyde Park Ave should be considered Mattapan now . It's sad how the once beautiful neighborhood went down the drain, but hey it's diverse .

Last edited by Dantejenkins; 02-18-2015 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: Spelling error

Old 02-18-2015, 06:24 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,321,722 times
Default re

yeah hyde park is odd and people seem to forget it's part of boston. I go to the fairmount train sometimes and the parts near milton and readville seem very nice. The sq area near fairmount has so much potential, I don't know why they don't do more with it. There's one cute restaurant - the fairmount grill and there's supposed to be another good one going in next to it. The area just seems depressed but there's not nearly as much crime as in mattapan. the people that live in hyde park seem to be hard working people. I've heard people say that the area is likely to get better now that the trains are there...also people will likely gravitate towards hyde parks affordable prices as they get priced out of other areas. Personally I'd choose hyde.park over mattapan, Roxbury or most parts of dorchester. We looked at a few houses there last year.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:52 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,828,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantejenkins View Post
Hyde Park was a great neighborhood until the Haitians moved in there were a lot of shops and places to eat in Cleary Sq . Now Cleary Sq is run down. Everything east of Hyde Park Ave should be considered Mattapan now . It's sad how the once beautiful neighborhood went down the drain, but hey it's diverse .
It's sad how you obviously haven't been there recently - I guess because of how threatening "those people" are. There also happen to still be plenty of folks living in that vicinity who pronounce the area "Hyde Pahhk," if you catch my drift. And who's kidding who? Fairmount Hill has always been pleasing to the eye to walk around with its Victorian houses and shaded streets. But around and along Hyde Park Ave & Metropolitan Ave it's never been "beautiful." It's just a bunch of tidy little Capes and ranch houses with a few Colonials thrown in, and a few duplexes, post-WWII drabness for the most part. There's nothing wrong with that whatsoever. What's wrong is when paranoid racists put on their rose-colored glasses and dig into selective memories and say a place "used to be nice until [fill in the blank] 'took over.'"

Old 02-19-2015, 08:18 AM

728 posts, read 974,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
It's sad how you obviously haven't been there recently - I guess because of how threatening "those people" are. There also happen to still be plenty of folks living in that vicinity who pronounce the area "Hyde Pahhk," if you catch my drift. And who's kidding who? Fairmount Hill has always been pleasing to the eye to walk around with its Victorian houses and shaded streets. But around and along Hyde Park Ave & Metropolitan Ave it's never been "beautiful." It's just a bunch of tidy little Capes and ranch houses with a few Colonials thrown in, and a few duplexes, post-WWII drabness for the most part. There's nothing wrong with that whatsoever. What's wrong is when paranoid racists put on their rose-colored glasses and dig into selective memories and say a place "used to be nice until [fill in the blank] 'took over.'"
But Cleary Square is the new Dudley now!!!

Also, I'm still chuckling at the fact that someone in this thread supposedly knows enough about Dorchester to imply that no one calls it "Dot".

Old 02-19-2015, 08:57 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,321,722 times
Cleary Sq is not the new Dudley.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:58 AM

728 posts, read 974,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Cleary Sq is not the new Dudley.
Sarcasm. It's sarcasm in regards to one of the previous posters stating that Cleary Square is now run down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston