Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 09:44 PM

10 posts, read 20,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
The white people live in readville, fairmont and the area by George wright golf course
Yes I'm white and middle class. And I was born and raised in Lowell so I'd prefer to be in a diverse neighborhood. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
I'd be careful with River St.

Anything past Metropolitan Ave. might as well be Mattapan.
Thanks for your input.

Old 03-21-2015, 06:46 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,827,228 times
Wood Ave is, sadly, a definite "no." The other streets named are unfamiliar.
The reference to "past Metropolitan Ave" up-thread means east of that street.
FWIW the area now best handling diversity is Roslindale, JP having passed the gentrification tipping point. West of Washington St is a better bet in that part of town due to two old-school housing "developments" (projects) and a sprawling Section 8 community all starting on the east side. An exception would be the area surrounding Cummins Highway on the end closer to "Rozzie Skway-yah" (Roslindale Village if you must.)
Probably TMI already, but now you have it.

Old 03-21-2015, 08:00 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,320,773 times
Default re

It seems like the problem with parts of hyde park is that th there are a lot of multi family homes that have become easy section 8 targets. I think these are ruining the area and bringing in lots of riff raff. There are a lot of single family homes that people own as well. It's really a mix I guess.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:53 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,827,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
It seems like the problem with parts of hyde park is that th there are a lot of multi family homes that have become easy section 8 targets. I think these are ruining the area and bringing in lots of riff raff. There are a lot of single family homes that people own as well. It's really a mix I guess.
Amen, you should see what a mess Hyde Park Ave is now. YET a lot of the streets feeding into it seem none the worse for wear.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Wood Ave is, sadly, a definite "no." The other streets named are unfamiliar.
The reference to "past Metropolitan Ave" up-thread means east of that street.
FWIW the area now best handling diversity is Roslindale, JP having passed the gentrification tipping point. West of Washington St is a better bet in that part of town due to two old-school housing "developments" (projects) and a sprawling Section 8 community all starting on the east side. An exception would be the area surrounding Cummins Highway on the end closer to "Rozzie Skway-yah" (Roslindale Village if you must.)
Probably TMI already, but now you have it.
goyguy thanks so much for your input. Looked at the property (single family) on Thompson St yesterday. Location; it's off of Resrvation Rd. Very quite neihborhood, this particular street is a dead end. Nice property but not close to area amenities such as convinience stores, places to eat and just plain ole small business's (sic?). I drive but would like to be within walking distance to the areas that I mentioned.

Today I am looking at a property in Jamaica Plain. It's in a three family condo conversion. Any info from you or anyone else is much appreciated.

Also looking into Dorchester. Specifically Ashmont Hiil, Ashmont Hill, Ashmont Adams, Jones Hill, Lower Mills and Mellville areas. Certainly looking for advice from anyone and everyone with the Dot search.

Thanks.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:13 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
I grew up on Wood ave. In the late 1990s early 2000s it had tipped to a black neighborhood after much warring with white youth gangs and black youth gangs. The black gang that took over the area was the wood eagles. By 2002 our house had been robbed, bikes stolen and so many shooting around Ross Field my dad moved us to Milton because he didn't want us "growing up thinking everything that want nailed to the ground was up for grabs." my dad worked hard to by a home there...we eventually started renting to section 8 people. They trashed the place and when we moved back in 2010 only one white lesbian couple was left in the area as far as whites are concerned. They used to be great friends with my mom, our dogs used to play together..now they never ever come out of the house. The eagles had killed a pizza delivery man on our property and they had POSTERS UP. I kid you not the Eagles had posters and graffitii throughout the neighborhood in 2010. But this was an AA gang and they did what Boston AAs do and moved to the south shore. The police raided there house..which as directly behind mine and had abundant gym equipment in the front yard. They raided there traphouse and the eagles gang members now live in stoughton/braintree/quincy/randolph. Im telling you guys it was so bad in 1997-1998 my father literally gave my older brother a beating for walking on that sstreetvwith daylight broad daylight. He still lives there now and cringe is way down but there are few obvious drug houses and many section 8ers. The neighborhood was given an attempted facelift but is definitely trashier than when we moved in in 1996. According to my dad when he was looking at thebhouse in 1995 it was about 35% white and pretty crime free so far as he knew. It was probably the late 1990s revival of parts of dorchester and roxbury and the demolition of older projects in Boston that pushed people southward. Now aJamaican.smostly trinity Haitian AA and Jamaican. Crime is down but its trashy.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:12 AM

Default re

Well as people get priced out of other areas of boston they will likely be going to places like dorchester and hyde park. They already are. I'm not sure mattapan and certain areas of dorchester (geneva ave/Bowdoin st) will ever gentrify but I could see it happening in hyde park.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:36 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
I dunno Whatsnext..I think we all like to think Boston can gentrify everything in its environs but..Hyde Park and other southern sections of the city have historically been SOO much safer than Roxbury South End and North Dorchester that you'd think they would have gentrified earlier despite the distance if they wee truly desirable It would have been like a lessened JP type of come up. While Roslindale may have experienced such, a little brightening up of Roslindale Village....Hyde Park has been the neighborhood in Boston to see the biggest decline in quality over the past 25 years. Probably followed by Roslindale, then Mattapan and then West Roxbury.

West Roxbury has just taken more poorer and lower middle class residents because of section 8 and some apartment complexes that have gone up, not really decline in QOL.

Mattapan I say has declined only in that its prospect for gentrification seem to be absolutely Zero whereas when menino was getting the city moving in the 90s the possibilities may have seemed more limitless.

Roslindale has declined in that there is now violent crime in Rosslindale to a point where its not really a shocker anymore. A stabbing or a shooting in Roslindale has become pretty common in the past 5-10 years? Can we agree on that? Not that its a war zone by any means its just more of , "meh, it happens"....

Hyde Park I think was only kept alive because Menino lived there and wanted to keep it from become what it truly is-a decaying inner suburb. Its a part of the city of Boston but geographically too many people they feel like it isn't nor is West Roxbury. Crime in HP fluctuates but there's hardly a decent school left in the area, and it just doesn't have the prestige it did in the 80s or 90s.

I thinkk these neighborhood in the southern quarter of the city never gentrified because theyre simply not well connected or vibrant enough to attract anyone but people determined to live in the city of Boston. But since people usually move to areas north and west of downtown because they are SOO much better connected than these areas I anticipate people will just create such a high demand for rent in the areas of Somerville Watertown Chelsea Everett Malden and East Boston that gentrification will be slow down in Hyde Park. It will likely gentrify, but at a slow pace and do so with the cities of Malden and Everett, even congested, somewhat wild parts of the metro like Eastie and Chelsea appear to be more desirable to some folks. They gentrify a little while Hyde Park is still in regression. I wonder exactly how rapid this Fairmount Line is going to be in reality? I could see it retaining the populations that are currently in Readville and Fairmount but not attracting new folks simply because access to these stations is not easy on foot. Theyre not bright or noticeable, they dont seem woven into the area, its just the dirty old train that barely ever comes along the dirty old river that barely runs near some of Hyde Park's old industry. They'd have to revive the areas around the train but there's little to no business around anything on the Fairmount Line except at Wolcott Square in Hyde Park and near Blue Hill and Geneva in Dorchester at the Four Corners stop. The only places that Hyde Park will gentrify before in the metro would be Revere, Mattapan and Lynn. And Lynn is as far out as Brockton to the south...

In fact the only people I see Hyde Park becoming a place that we dont have too many of in Mass, part of the New Jeryfication of Mass. Not too many mobile or middle class people are gonna wanna commute from dull hyde park on the train when its legitimately faster to get their via car. The only people using the train in Hyde Park would be those who cant afford cars or live all the way out in the sections abutting Dedham and Canton in Readville that are already nice. People in Fairmount already have the option to take the Redline in as is..I wonder how many woudl drive to the fairmount stop versus walk because they all drive to Mattapan Square for a multitude of smart and justifiable reasons. I see hyde park essentially becoming an inner ring suburb where lower middle and working class minorities are served to some extent by the train like towns in Hudson Bergen and Essex counties in NJ. Existing but maybe never gentrifying...at least not like Somerville. *End Rant*

Old 03-24-2015, 06:28 AM

Default re

Yeah not everywhere will be revived. I am just tired if hearing about somerville and Arlington, places north of boston probably because I don't know much about them and have no desire to live there. I'm a south shore girl so it would be nice to see some places on the south shore revive particularly hyde park and dorchester. Dorchester seems to be a work in progress but it's so big and I think it will always be a very mixed neighborhood.

I thought of hyde park because there are so many single family homes that I wouldn't think would be desirable for section 8 and not everyone will be able to afford to buy a home. To me it just says hey this a good place for a first time buyer. Boston magazine seemed to be promoting roslindale as a nice place for first time buyers. They mentioned roslindale several times in their boston magazine real estate edition. I wasn't aware that there was a lot of crime in roslindale. My Co worker lives there and he's a 30 yr old hipster so I thought it was nice lol.

Anyways I am wondering where the poor lower class people that you refer to in hyde park will go. With home prices they won't be able to afford to buy a home there so I'm not sure what would keep them there. There aren't many apartment buildings, the whole place can't be section 8. I'm not sure how helpful the trains will be. Trains are everywhere and they aren't exactly fun or dependable to ride. I see people liking hyde park and rozzie and jp for that matter because they are in the city but have a suburban feel. hyde park really has nothing nice though so who knows what will become of the plaCe. I just don't think it will ever be as bad as mattapan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston