Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2023, 08:34 AM

2,632 posts, read 4,048,839 times

Advertisements

Sadly teaching at Harvard doesn’t have the prestige it once had. There seems to be a track record of former mayors landing at Harvard (i.e. Deblasio, Lightfoot.) If Wu or another mayor wound up there, it wouldn’t surprise me. (Who knows? Maybe Breed of San Francisco could join that group and educate students on Homelessness.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2023, 08:42 AM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I strongly disagree. Every competent mayor we had has had "long term intentions", meaning they actually wanted to serve as mayor for several terms and saw it as more than a padding of their resume on the way to bigger and better things. This applies to other cities as well.
For me it depends on the definition of "long term" and "several terms." 2 terms is great. 5 is too long. I don't want a mayor who is just looking to pad a resume, but I also don't want someone who is looking to live out their days as mayor.

Old 09-08-2023, 09:27 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
Wasn't specifically pointing to her, but the city is getting worse and I don't see how BBMM can say that everything is "under control".
Inflation is making everywhere worse. Same deal down in Jersey.

But these issues seemed worse before her term. Its not gotten better, but its pretty stagnant.

Old 09-08-2023, 09:40 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:

Mass and Cass becoming increasingly dangerous as Boston eyes long term solutions
https://www.cbsnews.com/boston/news/...ton-solutions/

Mass. and Cass encampment crisis escalates, officials promise action

https://www.axios.com/local/boston/2...ss-cass-crisis

New video shows police trying to fight off dozens of teens during Sunday brawl

https://www.boston.com/news/local-ne...-sunday-brawl/
Mass and Cass isn't unprecedented, it is what its been for the last 3 years. And she moved to make action...it seemed worse in terms of raw # prior to Wu when they had 200+ tents out there.

The violence is out of control- that's anecdotal other than there are more calls now than when it was cold... they say that every summer because it's warm out.

Teen brawls were happening when Janey was in office. And it's part of a national trend/ $4 movie night. They are still rare and crime is still declining.

Essentially, teen brawls and mass n cass are very manageable situations that affect a minuscule % of people and don't affect 99% of the city daily. She won't lose any votes on either issue except from some people who live within 6/7 blocks of Mass and Cass.

When she runs she'll get like 70% of the vote I'm sure. When I was there the city seemed vibrant- the biggest issue remains COL 2nd biggest issue is COL 3rd biggest issue COL.

Old 09-08-2023, 10:04 AM

337 posts, read 268,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
For me it depends on the definition of "long term" and "several terms." 2 terms is great. 5 is too long. I don't want a mayor who is just looking to pad a resume, but I also don't want someone who is looking to live out their days as mayor.
Well put.

Old 09-08-2023, 10:23 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,200,396 times
Quote:
I strongly disagree. Every competent mayor we had has had "long term intentions", meaning they actually wanted to serve as mayor for several terms and saw it as more than a padding of their resume on the way to bigger and better things. This applies to other cities as well.
I disagree - I don't see multiple terms as Mayor as a way to pad their resumes.

Kevin White - 4 terms
Ray Flynn - 3 terms
Tom Menino - 5 terms
Marty Walsh - 2 terms.

The first three stayed way too long and they become synonymous with being Mayor. Menino considered the job his last. Mahty would still be there if he hadn't been called to join the cabinet.

Old 09-08-2023, 05:50 PM

5,094 posts, read 2,656,710 times
Being a successful Mayor of Boston requires a broad skill set and it requires, I believe, a deep love for the city. A good mayor needs to be able to collaborate, unite, build coalitions and compromise. It also requires 16 plus hour days and being on duty literally 24/7 and willing to roll up the sleeves and hit the streets. You need common sense, intimate knowledge of the politics, people, and cultures of the city and real compassion for people. All people, not just special interests. Unlike true liberals, progressives are generally not people who are interested in finding common ground or in compromising. Mayor Wu is intelligent and book smart but not "boots on the ground" smart - that part of her resume seems sparse, despite her humble roots. I don't see her as a "roll up your sleeves" problem solver and I don't see all that many people in her Cabinet with those qualities. I also don't think she is much interested in collaborating with people with different views, which in the end will make solving big problems very difficult in most cases. I think she has compassion but she comes off as distant and cool.

Last edited by bostongymjunkie; 09-08-2023 at 06:00 PM..

Old 09-08-2023, 05:53 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
She is NOT looking for a new job. How many times does she have to say this.

Old 09-12-2023, 03:50 PM

6,121 posts, read 5,090,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
to be fair to Wu. These problems existed before and will continue to exist in society. I do not think they are better or worse because of her.
She actually is fighting hard for the Mass and Cass issue and Quincy keeps blocking the damn bridge.
I think she realizes that cleaning up Mass & Cass, which was the cornerstone promise she got elected on, was going to be a s**tshow where she can't win or end up looking good. Let's face it, the Long Island bridge is not the panacea and to spend that much $$ vs. considering ferry alternatives is downright irresponsible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston