Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2024, 09:50 AM

16,317 posts, read 8,140,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
In my Denver suburb in 1997, preschool started at 2 1/2, but the kids had to be potty-trained.

I have no idea what it is now in Colorado or in other states.

Of course, I guess it depends on what is meant by "preschool", but they started teaching counting and colors, at least, at a very young age (but mainly it was just socialization and learning to be quiet in "circle time").
but was it a free pre school?

In my town you have to pay for public kindergarten
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2024, 09:55 AM

30,614 posts, read 18,198,614 times
While the mother should have been notified from the get-go, for all I know, this was necessary to ensure the safety of the child (and possibly others) . . . the mother's allegations leave a lot unanswered. I'm not saying that this is the case, but I am curious about what the reason is. And, no, I'm not one of those who believe that a child "should never" be treated in such a way. I've seen children acting out in supermarkets (possibly special needs) literally banging their heads on the floor throwing tantrums. Lord knows if in such a situation I'd prefer that a child be restrained to a chair than continue doing such and possibly bringing about permanent brain damage.

Again, I'm not saying that any of what I wrote was the case. Just that it's not inconceivable for me to see circumstances that could justifiably lead to such outcomes IMO.

Old 03-05-2024, 10:04 AM

17,676 posts, read 9,164,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
While the mother should have been notified from the get-go, for all I know, this was necessary to ensure the safety of the child (and possibly others) . . . the mother's allegations leave a lot unanswered. I'm not saying that this is the case, but I am curious about what the reason is. And, no, I'm not one of those who believe that a child "should never" be treated in such a way. I've seen children acting out in supermarkets (possibly special needs) literally banging their heads on the floor throwing tantrums. Lord knows if in such a situation I'd prefer that a child be restrained to a chair than continue doing such and possibly bringing about permanent brain damage.

Again, I'm not saying that any of what I wrote was the case. Just that it's not inconceivable for me to see circumstances that could justifiably lead to such outcomes IMO.
From the wgbh link msRB311 posted:

"Superintendent Mary Skipper said in a statement to GBH that the incident is “deeply concerning" and that the district will continue to work with the student and family to give them any support they need to feel safe and continue in BPS."

The superintendent finds this "deeply concerning", so I doubt it was necessary.

Old 03-05-2024, 10:12 AM

19,802 posts, read 9,341,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
but was it a free pre school?

In my town you have to pay for public kindergarten
With my daughter, we paid for her to go to a private KinderCare Pre-K program three half-days per week -- and I think it was about $150 a week, IIRC.

However, we enrolled my son in the local Parks and Rec preschool program which was set up as three half-days per week for four- and five-year-olds and two half-days for the younger kids, and it was much less -- only about $100 a month, IIRC.

(This was more than 25 years ago, so I could certainly be wrong about the costs, but the KinderCare program was much more expensive, but we did pay something for the P&R program, which had a certified preschool teacher and one assistant, with the parents taking turns providing another assistant, and there were about 12-15 kids in both classes, I think.)

Old 03-05-2024, 10:22 AM

yeah, i mean this is a completely free program, it's basically free daycare.

I certainly don't agree with restraining a kid like this and I'm not sure why this course of action was taken. They don't say what the kid was doing...but I would think there would be outrage if a violent 16 year old was restrained like this, nevermind a 3 year old...how strong could a 3 year old be? Was he continuously running way? I'm guessing the 3 year old won't remember any of this one day but mom is likely to get a million dollar settlement out of this (taking away more money from BPS to go to one family) ..i guess it pays to go to free daycare.

Old 03-05-2024, 10:55 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,318,712 times
Quote:
I have to wonder why the city/BPS thought it would be a good idea to implement this type of program. The schools are in bad enough 'health' and surely money used towards taking care of 3/4 year olds all day (and clearly not very good care) could have been used towards something else...like making things better for kids actually LEARNING...but instead it seems like the city/BPS decided to go the route of free daycare...because that's what it is.
I've found it to actually be quite beneficial over traditional daycare. I'm sure some BPS schools are better about it than others, but my experience overall has been that my child is getting more education out of K1 than we ever did from daycare. They even give "homework" to the pre-schoolers in the form of additional reading/writing/etc activities kids do with their parents that we report back to the teacher on. There's a music program where children start practicing music and playing instruments. There's field trips to the museum.

My kid's daycare didn't do these types of activities.

Old 03-05-2024, 11:04 AM

12,384 posts, read 9,483,835 times
I can see that these aren't the right measures to use, however, I will add, that I wouldn't want that job. I did teach, and enjoyed it, but those were college kids, a different ballgame.

Old 03-05-2024, 11:15 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
I've found it to actually be quite beneficial over traditional daycare. I'm sure some BPS schools are better about it than others, but my experience overall has been that my child is getting more education out of K1 than we ever did from daycare. They even give "homework" to the pre-schoolers in the form of additional reading/writing/etc activities kids do with their parents that we report back to the teacher on. There's a music program where children start practicing music and playing instruments. There's field trips to the museum.

My kid's daycare didn't do these types of activities.
but we're taking about K0 not K1.

and i'm sure many find it beneficial to not have to pay for daycare and can just send their kid to BPS for free at 3. My point was it isn't a good use of spending for everyone. Of course the parents using that service are probably loving it.

Old 03-05-2024, 01:22 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,318,712 times
Quote:
but we're taking about K0 not K1.

and i'm sure many find it beneficial to not have to pay for daycare and can just send their kid to BPS for free at 3. My point was it isn't a good use of spending for everyone. Of course the parents using that service are probably loving it.
They can be, and often are, combined. My K1 (4yo) kid is in a class with K0 kids (3yo).

Old 03-05-2024, 08:34 PM

30,614 posts, read 18,198,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
From the wgbh link msRB311 posted:

"Superintendent Mary Skipper said in a statement to GBH that the incident is “deeply concerning" and that the district will continue to work with the student and family to give them any support they need to feel safe and continue in BPS."

The superintendent finds this "deeply concerning", so I doubt it was necessary.
Which, again, doesn't exactly say much. Even if it was necessary (again, not saying this was the case), I'd say it was still deeply concerning. The two concepts aren't mutually exclusive IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston