Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2024, 07:49 AM

7,324 posts, read 4,118,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl View Post
Wow… It’s a whole day. 6+ hours.
Outside of Boston it’s from 5 yo and 3 hours.
My kids morning out programs (pre-K) had two hours of play, a lunch time followed by a nap. They began at 8:30/9 and were picked up at 12:30. Three year olds require a two hour afternoon nap time during the six hours school day.

This child was disabled. We don't know the details of his disability other than he was non-verbal. There are over a dozen different medications prescribed for kids with autism. We don't what he took and the effects of those medications. There is so few details it's impossible to know what happened.

I feel sorry for the teacher. Between the length of the day and his disability, she was in a non-win situation. Sounds like she needed more support - a teacher's aid and he wasn't ready to function in a classroom situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2024, 07:59 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I thought preschool was 4. I thought 3 was still day care. Live and learn, I guess. Preschool is 3. I wouldn't think any 3 year old boys are calm enough for preschool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I have to wonder why the city/BPS thought it would be a good idea to implement this type of program. The schools are in bad enough 'health' and surely money used towards taking care of 3/4 year olds all day (and clearly not very good care) could have been used towards something else...like making things better for kids actually LEARNING...but instead it seems like the city/BPS decided to go the route of free daycare...because that's what it is.
You guys are behind the times. I know way back in the day you couldn't even get free education until 1st grade but that was over in Boston by the time I was a kid, for sure.

Ever heard of HeadStart? 3years old is when I started school and its what almost all early childhood learning professionals advocate for.

ESPECIALLY for low-income kids who often enter Kindergarten well behind they're peers having heard thousands fewer words, having traveled and experienced far less than their wealthier counterparts.

Most private schoosl that are elementary based have classrooms for 3-4 year olds called K0, 'Beginners' or B1.

2-3 is firmly day care. But 3-4yo is the transition to real school. My son had homework at 3.

Also Boston hopes that by introducing universal Pre-K and even earlier middle and upper-middle families who have children in Boston will shun private day care and pre-school, utilize what Boston offers and stay in BPS thus bringing the median income of a BPS family up and the low-income student % down. It doesn't work, but they're trying.

Old 03-13-2024, 08:46 AM

16,317 posts, read 8,140,203 times
My kids are 7 and 9 and they never had homework at age 3. F*ck that.

Of course you love this free program that is catered to low income minorities.

Old 03-13-2024, 09:05 AM

2,632 posts, read 4,048,306 times
Quote:
3 does seem young to be diagnosed with autism.
Kids can possibly be diagnosed around 18 months. Some programs have early intervention starting at age two and have services in public preschools at age three. With ADHD, screening around four, the earliest.

Old 03-13-2024, 11:34 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
My kids are 7 and 9 and they never had homework at age 3. F*ck that.

Of course you love this free program that is catered to low income minorities.
what free program? Boston Public Schools?

You really have problems with minorities..and kids.. and low income people.

Arent you one of the people who opposed free school lunch in MA?

Also...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Boston hopes that by introducing universal Pre-K and even earlier middle and upper-middle families who have children in Boston will shun private day care and pre-school, utilize what Boston offers and stay in BPS thus bringing the median income of a BPS family up and the low-income student % down.
But- its typical that you would spite your "own kind" just to make sure that black people dont almost get a chance at something. Thats very American tbh.

Old 03-13-2024, 12:45 PM

so taking money from tax payers to give to lower income people so they get free daycare in the city of Boston while others struggle to make ends meet over it is the way to go?

Old 03-13-2024, 05:14 PM

3,598 posts, read 1,821,989 times
Here's an idea...why can't cities and towns assess taxes to folks based on what services they actually use based on the size of their families/#of kids using the systems? Nah, that would make too much sense.

Old 03-13-2024, 06:11 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
Here's an idea...why can't cities and towns assess taxes to folks based on what services they actually use based on the size of their families/#of kids using the systems? Nah, that would make too much sense.
welfare and EBT are often based on how many kids someone has and for that reason some folks have more and more kids. I'm not sure why someone should get a break just because they chose to have a lot of kids...

Old 03-13-2024, 08:19 PM

3,598 posts, read 1,821,989 times
Quote:
welfare and EBT are often based on how many kids someone has and for that reason some folks have more and more kids. I'm not sure why someone should get a break just because they chose to have a lot of kids...
Well, just the opposite should be happening. The folks having the most kids are the ones who should be paying the most taxes. They're the ones using the most resources and services after all.

Old 03-13-2024, 09:44 PM

17,676 posts, read 9,164,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
The entire system would fail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston