Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2024, 07:54 AM

5,093 posts, read 2,654,205 times

Advertisements

It was 30 on most residential city roads until 2017 when it went to 25 city-wide on city streets. There's also a state law that limits speed to 30 MPH in thickly settled districts, when not otherwise posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2024, 07:54 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,114,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
That said, when you're operating an engine powered multi-ton piece of steel, you definitely bear a greater responsibility.
Funny, because we as a society don't seem to treat it that way. Drivers of said multi ton vehicles have always been given the most lenient pardons when they crash said pieces of steel into buildings, humans, etc. It's almost as if people think it's their god given right to fling around a multi ton piece of steel.

Old 04-05-2024, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Funny, because we as a society don't seem to treat it that way. Drivers of said multi ton vehicles have always been given the most lenient pardons when they crash said pieces of steel into buildings, humans, etc. It's almost as if people think it's their god given right to fling around a multi ton piece of steel.
Yup, and I think there's an element of that in all of us sometimes. Those that stand out are the entitled people who take zero ownership for their actions.

Old 04-05-2024, 10:55 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
There's definitely some interesting psychology to it. I always think of the "guns don't kill people, people kill people" bumper sticker quote from the gun debate. The language doesn't work the same way with vehicles. We always hear about how someone was "struck by a car," or "run over by a truck." It's usually not until some other factor (age, intoxication, etc.) is involved that the language starts shifting toward human liability "hit by a drunk driver," "elderly driver crashes into store." Obviously none of this means all that much, but I've always found it interesting.

The comments about needing shifts in driver, cyclist, and pedestrian behaviors are the truth. Nothing's going to change otherwise. It seems that even with an uptick in pedestrian fatalities, pedestrians will still opt to play ******* and jaywalk or cross on "don't walk" sings. Drivers will continue to drive aggressively. And cyclists will continue to take unnecessary risks and ignore traffic rules. Infrastructure improvements on all fronts could help too. But even with combined better infrastructure and better enforcement, the number on the sign won't eliminate bad behavior.

Old 04-05-2024, 11:04 AM

16,306 posts, read 8,126,207 times
But in many times a car accident is just...an accident. It seems quite different to me than taking a gun and shooting someone.

Sure there are situations where someone might hit someone on purpose...but cars are very much legal and an important part of the world.

How would people feel if laws started allowing when people could and couldnt drive? That could be mandated but people would be outraged and feel like their freedom was taken away.

I've said before there are too many cars on the road...with lots of idiots driving. This isn't going to change.

Old 04-05-2024, 11:38 AM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
Another factor that's changed--the near ubiquity of noise cancelling Airpods. Just walk around Cambridge, or heck any T station...and you'll see pedestrians totally absorbed in their music / podcast whatever, and ignore hazards around them. I've even seen drivers with these in their ears, which scares the crap out of me.

Old 04-05-2024, 11:44 AM

16,306 posts, read 8,126,207 times
I'm sure technology (phones, airpods, etc) play a huge role in additional accidents. there are so many distractions people get while driving from phones while on busy crowded roads.

Old 04-05-2024, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post
Your sobriety is a valuable asset, Junkie. Nobody can dedramatize the way you do. Lol
Lol, the former Jerry Springer audience are still searching for their reason d'etre.

Old 04-05-2024, 12:28 PM

3,207 posts, read 2,114,518 times
The majority of people i see in cars have a phone in their hand.

Old 04-05-2024, 12:50 PM

17,677 posts, read 9,155,986 times
The bike people are a real problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston