Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2024, 10:58 AM

9,076 posts, read 6,302,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
yeah the car people are just fine.
It's the "bike" people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I find this sentiment hilarious...given the sheer momentum (mass * velocity) advantage that motor vehicles have over bikes and pedestrians.
A moving bike can still do serious damage to a pedestrian. The carelessness of both car drivers and bicyclists are serious issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2024, 11:18 AM

23,568 posts, read 18,672,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
A moving bike can still do serious damage to a pedestrian. The carelessness of both car drivers and bicyclists are serious issues.

Yep. Neither should be tolerated.

Old 04-06-2024, 12:49 PM

16,315 posts, read 8,140,203 times
I was once hit by a bike. I was ok luckily...it was in the longwood area in like 2002. I was crossing the st looking for cars (not bikes I guess) and once i thought I could cross I did and bam got hit by a woman on a bike. It was pretty shocking...she didn't seem very apologetic either. She didn't fall or anything and just kept going. Cars have more an ability to slam on brakes than someone on a bike does. Bikers need to be on the lookout for pedestrians and be cautious in populated areas.

Old 04-06-2024, 01:49 PM

5,094 posts, read 2,656,710 times
Quote:
You're right. But in Boston I think a bigger problem are the motorized bikes. They just blow through traffic signals like they don't exist. And the ride in the bike lanes where they do not belong.

Old 04-07-2024, 07:08 PM

3,207 posts, read 2,115,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Cars have more an ability to slam on brakes than someone on a bike does.
I hope you don't have to use your brain for work.

Old 04-07-2024, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Lol. As someone who has done a ton of both bike riding and car driving in this town I can say hands down I've experienced more road rage from car drivers while riding a bike when I was doing absolutely nothing wrong. I've been hit by cars at least 5 times while riding a bike, but have never been hit by a bike. I rarely have issues with bikes while driving my car through Boston. The people that have the most issues with bikes are also the people who falsely believe their right to the streets trumps the bike riders rights to be in the road. They're wrong and entitled, and their road rage is far more dangerous than any threat posed by bicycles. They are people who think they own the roads and that bike riders are second class on the roadways. Read the laws people and get over yourselves.

Old 04-07-2024, 08:48 PM

Default Re

Quote:
You're disgusting. Keep on thinking everything you say is the right thing in your stupid world.

Old 04-07-2024, 08:56 PM

Default Re

Quote:
Yes bikers can be complete a holes. They think they're doing a favor by biking in the first place so they're often on some ego mania power trip where everyone should get out of their way. Not all but they're out there. They want special treatment because they chose to ride a bike. Or maybe they have OUIs and that's their only choice.

Old 04-08-2024, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Yes bikers can be complete a holes. They think they're doing a favor by biking in the first place so they're often on some ego mania power trip where everyone should get out of their way. Not all but they're out there. They want special treatment because they chose to ride a bike. Or maybe they have OUIs and that's their only choice.
No, they are people who commute to work so they don't have to pay for parking and people who simply want to stay fit and get the benefits of both, and they are the numerous people living in the city who don't own cars and use bikes to get around. They are students. They are also visitors who tour the city on bikes. People behind the wheels of cars with your generally resentful attitude toward bicyclists are the bigger problem than the occasional arrogant bike rider. This isn't the "bike messenger" days of the 90's. People do sometimes get hit by bikes but it doesn't happen very often and it often happens when the pedestrian steps into the street without looking or without being in crosswalk. I don't think you have much recent experience traversing the city. All that said, I'm not opposed to enforcing m/v laws as they apply to bikes in the city but don't expect BPD to be spending a significant chunk of time on it unless it's egregious.

Old 04-08-2024, 05:47 AM

There are many different types of folks who drive cars just as there are many different folks who ride bikes. Lots of different personalities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston