Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2024, 11:58 AM

103 posts, read 60,069 times

Advertisements

Biggest crime in Boston I experience constantly is going to the store, grabbing something that says $1.99, and having it come up 2.99 on the register. Or it says it costs $2 then I give em a five dollar bill and they give me back $2. And no receipt. And ask for a receipt and you get a real dirty look.

Walking the streets - skating through the park - I generally have no problems. Biggest problem in this town is trash and dangerous drivers. Always has been. There is some homeless and a lot of junkies in one small area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2024, 12:36 PM

16,296 posts, read 8,126,207 times
I think Boston is overall a safe place unless you get involved with the wrong people/hobbies.

Old 04-15-2024, 01:01 PM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I think Boston is overall a safe place unless you get involved with the wrong people/hobbies.
^I would agree with this.

After all, we have 250,000 (by some count) college students in the area. It's a testament that thousands of parents have no issue with their kids coming to Boston to study for 4 yrs.

Old 04-15-2024, 01:12 PM

5,827 posts, read 4,162,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Maybe it's just right wing media but they like to go on and on about how blue cities these days are hell holes due to things like defunding the police, soft on crime DAs, etc. While I'm inclined to think it's being exaggerated as part of right wing propaganda, I also hypothesize there may be an element of truth to it. After all, I did witness in SF someone stealing from a Safeway and fleeing on a bike while employees chased after the guy in vain several years ago. And even when I moved here from Dallas, I couldn't help but notice a much smaller prevalence of homeless which I'm always reminded of when I visit my family a few times a year in Portland, OR.

Anyways I don't mean to get political with this thread but I'm just curious of Boston is the exception right now amongst big high cost of living cities in the US these days. Note that I almost never hear right wingers moan about the crime in Boston and it's always SF, LA, NYC, etc. Or if so, are we merely in the eye of the storm and this will eventually catch on to Boston?
You're right about rightwing media. There's often a focus on compelling anecdotes instead of actual data. For example, Chicago's violent crime rate has been mostly flat going back to 2015 (https://www.cbsnews.com/chicago/news...ime-data-2021/), and it's significantly lower than it was in the early 90s. But you'd never guess that if you listened to the media.

The biggest driver of homelessness is housing costs. The "blue cities" that people discuss when homelessness comes up are all very big, very expensive (and very desirable) cities. There simply aren't red cities that are as big as Seattle or San Francisco, and the high prices, which reflects desirability, of these places is the biggest cause of homelessness.

Old 04-15-2024, 01:13 PM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
That probably explains why I'm having trouble seeing much crime (though I have no interest in proactively looking for it either.)

Old 04-16-2024, 05:17 AM

4,252 posts, read 1,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
You're right about rightwing media. There's often a focus on compelling anecdotes instead of actual data. For example, Chicago's violent crime rate has been mostly flat going back to 2015 (https://www.cbsnews.com/chicago/news...ime-data-2021/), and it's significantly lower than it was in the early 90s. But you'd never guess that if you listened to the media.

The biggest driver of homelessness is housing costs. The "blue cities" that people discuss when homelessness comes up are all very big, very expensive (and very desirable) cities. There simply aren't red cities that are as big as Seattle or San Francisco, and the high prices, which reflects desirability, of these places is the biggest cause of homelessness.
Most of these "very desirable blue cities" are shedding population.

Old 04-16-2024, 06:08 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,114,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
Most of these "very desirable blue cities" are shedding population.
Must be why houses are such a bargain here?

Old 04-16-2024, 06:24 AM

16,296 posts, read 8,126,207 times
They're losing middle class people...wealthy people from all over the world are a big part of why housing costs are so high here in Boston.

Old 04-16-2024, 07:19 AM

4,252 posts, read 1,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Must be why houses are such a bargain here?
Massachusetts, Calfornia and Oregon are shrinking in population while Florida and Texas are packing folks in. I'd define desirability best by where people want to be. You're entitled to your own
Interpretation.

Old 04-16-2024, 07:53 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,317,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
Massachusetts, Calfornia and Oregon are shrinking in population while Florida and Texas are packing folks in. I'd define desirability best by where people want to be. You're entitled to your own
Interpretation.
The saying 'its better to reign in hell than to serve in heaven' feels apropos. The middle class can still be an actor in the American Dream in places like Texas. Not so much here or California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston