Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2024, 09:20 AM

3,224 posts, read 2,128,917 times

Advertisements

https://www.wbur.org/news/2024/04/24...s-boston-media
WBUR, one of the nation’s largest NPR affiliates, announced plans Wednesday to cut as much as 14% of its staff through a combination of buyouts and layoffs over the next two months.

The Boston public radio station said the job cuts are part of an effort to reduce expenses by $4 million, about 10% of its annual budget, to help offset a steep decline in on-air sponsorships, also known as underwriting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2024, 01:43 PM

5,118 posts, read 2,680,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
https://www.wbur.org/news/2024/04/24...s-boston-media
WBUR, one of the nation’s largest NPR affiliates, announced plans Wednesday to cut as much as 14% of its staff through a combination of buyouts and layoffs over the next two months.

The Boston public radio station said the job cuts are part of an effort to reduce expenses by $4 million, about 10% of its annual budget, to help offset a steep decline in on-air sponsorships, also known as underwriting.
Some of them have been around for 20 plus years. Any word on what the deal is with sponsorships?

Old 04-25-2024, 04:15 PM

9,889 posts, read 7,226,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Some of them have been around for 20 plus years. Any word on what the deal is with sponsorships?
WBUR has seen underwriting decline by 40% over the past 5 years. WGBH and other public and commercial stations nationwide are seeing drops in revenue. There are fewer listeners and more options for those ears. Podcasts, streaming music, etc. are all taking share from terrestrial radio.

Old 04-25-2024, 05:49 PM

6,141 posts, read 5,111,368 times
The obvious solution--WBUR and GBH need to consolidate. Boston is one of the very few markets that has 2 NPR stations.

Old 04-25-2024, 07:40 PM

3,822 posts, read 2,703,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
The obvious solution--WBUR and GBH need to consolidate. Boston is one of the very few markets that has 2 NPR stations.
This is the rational answer to the problem. However, I suspect egos might prevent that from happening until the situation deteriorates further. I don’t listen to either station with regularity anymore, but WBUR seemed to produce better content. Still, they were awfully proud of their products. I once approached both stations about carrying an excellent, nationally syndicated public radio program that I was familiar with from another public radio station in another city. GBH did not respond to my inquiry. WBUR said they knew the program but would not carry it, because they were instead working on the creation of a similar program with the same subject matter (which never materialized).

WGBH is legendary on the tv side. Their radio content isn’t particularly exciting.

The pandemic killed their advertising/“underwriting”. People listen to NPR while they commute. Work from home and business contraction during the pandemic were a one-two punch.

To make matters worse, NPR’s bias seemed to really ramp up under the Trump presidency, which drove off some conservative /moderate listeners. And it became even more pronounced in the wake of George Floyd’s killing.

It’s not just the local public radio stations that are suffering. I’m sure some of you read this essay recently, but I am posting it for those who missed it.

https://www.thefp.com/p/npr-editor-h...americas-trust

Last edited by ormari; 04-25-2024 at 08:02 PM..

Old 04-26-2024, 06:40 AM

3,224 posts, read 2,128,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
This is the rational answer to the problem. However, I suspect egos might prevent that from happening until the situation deteriorates further. I don’t listen to either station with regularity anymore, but WBUR seemed to produce better content. Still, they were awfully proud of their products. I once approached both stations about carrying an excellent, nationally syndicated public radio program that I was familiar with from another public radio station in another city. GBH did not respond to my inquiry. WBUR said they knew the program but would not carry it, because they were instead working on the creation of a similar program with the same subject matter (which never materialized).

WGBH is legendary on the tv side. Their radio content isn’t particularly exciting.

The pandemic killed their advertising/“underwriting”. People listen to NPR while they commute. Work from home and business contraction during the pandemic were a one-two punch.

To make matters worse, NPR’s bias seemed to really ramp up under the Trump presidency, which drove off some conservative /moderate listeners. And it became even more pronounced in the wake of George Floyd’s killing.

It’s not just the local public radio stations that are suffering. I’m sure some of you read this essay recently, but I am posting it for those who missed it.

https://www.thefp.com/p/npr-editor-h...americas-trust
I think these points hit the nail right on the head. I lean in both directions politically and can't help but recognize how blatant their programing is. It almost feels like SNL skits sometimes.
Thank you for sharing the article. Very interesting read indeed.

Old 04-26-2024, 06:53 AM

9,889 posts, read 7,226,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
There are ten markets nationally with two NPR stations. But both rank in the top ten NPR stations in the nation and top 10 in all of Boston. Merging would be a painful endeavor eliminating many more jobs than the recent layoffs. I'm not saying it's not a good move but if each can survive on their own, why not have two.

Old 04-26-2024, 07:00 AM

6,141 posts, read 5,111,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
There are ten markets nationally with two NPR stations. But both rank in the top ten NPR stations in the nation and top 10 in all of Boston. Merging would be a painful endeavor eliminating many more jobs than the recent layoffs. I'm not saying it's not a good move but if each can survive on their own, why not have two.
There's a fair bit of duplicate programming between the two. Just common sense--you can eliminate a LOT of jobs and still provide most of the same listenership functionality for the most part (Morning Edition, ATC, Moth, Wait Wait, etc.) at half the cost. Better that one public station survives than 2 go under!

Old 04-26-2024, 08:13 AM

5,118 posts, read 2,680,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
I think these points hit the nail right on the head. I lean in both directions politically and can't help but recognize how blatant their programing is. It almost feels like SNL skits sometimes.
Thank you for sharing the article. Very interesting read indeed.
It really is. And it gets progressively worse - pardon the pun.

Old 04-26-2024, 08:48 AM

3,216 posts, read 1,682,361 times
NPR appeals to the low information audience that doesn't do fact checking them. They are full of blatant opinion pieces rather than deliver news. That's why Elon Musk called them out for inaccuracies. Everything the media does today create a distortion than the reality. Ignorant folks can easily live inside this distorted reality the media created but it fuels their anguish that they can't become successful people independently and chose to blame someone for their own inadequacies with life and failure to take ownership of their own problems. That's why people become radicalized by woke policies, they blame people who are more successful using identity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston